PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Phone Lock Ups After new ROM Update? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=10362)

Yankees368 10-24-2007 03:19 PM

Phone Lock Ups After new ROM Update?

Has anyone else experienced several lock ups after installing the new ROM update? Today alone, my phone has locked up 3 times. Twice it wouldnt come out of sleep mode, and once it froze in On Demand. All 3 times required a soft-reboot.

Programs:
Microsoft Live Search
Telenav for Windows Mobile (which dosent work anymore, btw)
Handmark on Demand
HTC X-Button 1.5
WiFiFoFum
Arcsoft MMS
PocketCM Contacts 0.15
Nilisco Flashlight
BlueFrog Big Button Dialer
HTC Home
Google Maps

winmobilelawyer 10-24-2007 03:43 PM

Yes. Its happened to me twice. Whats the deal with that?

krohnjw 10-24-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankees368 (Post 106123)
Has anyone else experienced several lock ups after installing the new ROM update? Today alone, my phone has locked up 3 times. Twice it wouldnt come out of sleep mode, and once it froze in On Demand. All 3 times required a soft-reboot.

Programs:
Microsoft Live Search
Handmark on Demand
HTC X-Button 1.5
WiFiFoFum
Arcsoft MMS
PocketCM Contacts 0.15
Nilisco Flashlight
HTC Home
Google Maps

I have had the same issue - 3 times since last night. Prior to the update the only time this really happened was when I was using bluetooth and it went to sleep (not often since it worked so poorly).

Now, I have left bluetooth on today - but the sleep issue is supposed to be fixed w/BT no?

Installed programs:
WM RDP
X-Button 1.5
Arcsoft MMS
iContacts
Big Button Dialer
Google Maps
Live Search
PHM Regedit

winmobilelawyer 10-24-2007 03:50 PM

Yes. Its happened to me twice. Whats the deal with that?

dishe 10-24-2007 04:03 PM

This is something that has been present on the Alltel ROM... I was hoping they fixed it in this release... see the thread titled "I can crash the Alltel ROM at will".
He describes exactly what actions freeze it, so hopefully you can take some pointers on how to deal with this problem in the mean time (turn off BT after use, etc). Its annoying, this is supposed to be a "Fix".

z3bu 10-24-2007 04:04 PM

happened to me today, device wouldn't come out of sleep mode. had to soft reset.

krohnjw 10-24-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishe (Post 106149)
This is something that has been present on the Alltel ROM... I was hoping they fixed it in this release... see the thread titled "I can crash the Alltel ROM at will".
He describes exactly what actions freeze it, so hopefully you can take some pointers on how to deal with this problem in the mean time (turn off BT after use, etc). Its annoying, this is supposed to be a "Fix".

That is quite frustrating. I only want to use BT in a persistent state for the winter months. It's much easier to grab a headset from my side pocket than fish a phone out of an interior coat pocket (through gloves and a scarf). The BT audio sounds much better from the test calls I have made, but this is a big bug.

meatlocker 10-24-2007 04:31 PM

Well crappity-doo-da, it has happened to me at least 5 times today. And I am not using BT at all. I have seen lockups that mostly involve either changing a setting (as in trying to initiate an IOTA), changing ActiveSync settings or using IE. I completely lost any network data coverage for a while just a bit ago (even though I had 3 bars of EVDO). Something is wrong here. I have the full ROM, with all of the Ext crap too, so its not like I skipped something important.

Also, I have just done my third hard reset for the day. I am overjoyed.

winmobilelawyer 10-24-2007 04:33 PM

Yea I have the full ROM update also. For me the problem has only happened when I leave the phone on my desk and the automatic "turn-off device" when not used kicks in, i guess we are calling that sleep mode. So i went into Settings>System>Power and unchecked the option. The screen still turns off as that is a different setting. Seems to have fixed the problem for me, haven't bought a BT headset yet so don't know about that. I just hope my battery use doesnt kill without sleep function on. I'll let you know.

Yankees368 10-24-2007 04:35 PM

This is 100% UNACCEPTABLE

I cannot be rebooting my phone 5 times a day because of some stupid update that may or may not have fixed the broken bluetooth!!!

Can anyone list the actions that they found in the altell rom that makes the phone freeze?

dishe 10-24-2007 04:36 PM

I urge everyone to CALL SPRINT AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS IMMEDIATELY!

Enough people called about the previous problem that Sprint got up off their behinds and released a fix (in fact, by the time I called it was already a "known issue"). If we all call and complain yet again, it might help get things in motion. The ROM is so new that no one knows of the problem yet- call *2 and complain that your device freezes and won't come out of standby after using BT!

Its really a very painless call... the tech support dept has been doing much better lately- got someone on the line in about 10 seconds.

CALL!!!

TC1 10-24-2007 04:40 PM

Not for nothing... but has anyone reported this issue to Sprint or HTC yet or intend to? I'd do it but I haven't experienced the issue yet... but it sounds like it's happening to enough people that it might turn out to be a legitimate issue. The sooner it gets reported to manufacturer, the sooner there be might be a possible fix.

EDIT: Looks like Dishe and I had the same thought ;)

dishe 10-24-2007 04:40 PM

Even if you haven't had the problem, if you use BT you probably will. It doesn't hurt to call and tell them something's up.

LET SPRINT KNOW they may have fixed one thing, but they MESSED SOMETHING ELSE UP!

codyppc 10-24-2007 05:03 PM

hmmm. i have been using it all day with no problems. 50 some phone calls, a little surfing, emails, ect. all good. i haven't loaded all the apps up yet. wanted to make sure it was running good first. i did let the crapware install.

the only stuff i have loaded....

push email
livesearch

dishe 10-24-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codyppc (Post 106217)
hmmm. i have been using it all day with no problems. 50 some phone calls, a little surfing, emails, ect. all good. i haven't loaded all the apps up yet. wanted to make sure it was running good first. i did let the crapware install.

push email
livesearch

are you using a BT headset?

The Doctor 10-24-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankees368 (Post 106182)
This is 100% UNACCEPTABLE

I cannot be rebooting my phone 5 times a day because of some stupid update that may or may not have fixed the broken bluetooth!!!

Can anyone list the actions that they found in the altell rom that makes the phone freeze?

taken from "I can crash the Alltel OS" thread

"1) Answering an incoming call with my headset, whether taking it out of the charging pocket or answering with a BT softbutton, ending the call via phone or BT, and then powering off within a few seconds of going to the today screen (habit of mine). If I don't turn the phone back on within a couple seconds, it will not wake from standby and will require a soft reset. This does not happen if I answer from the phone itself, and then talk with the BT.

2) Immediately putting my headset into the charging pocket after a phone call. Doesn't matter which way I answered, but does not happen when I place the call.

3) One 3rd party software related issue --- with SPB Phone Suite installed, and set to automatic profiles, if I cause the BT pairing to drop by moving out of range or powering it off while the phone is in standby, about 50% of the time the profile will take about a minute to switch from headset to normal, and if I open the Phone software during this switching period, I get a frozen Mogul and need a soft reset."

Well I guess we are infected too now. What a bunch of BS. If you call to complain, make an effort to get Tech Support Tier2 on the line!
here is the # I have: 1-866-818-1944
Call Now!!
enjoy.](*,)

papped 10-24-2007 06:48 PM

I let the crapware install also and haven't really had any problems.

I don't use BT at all though.

dishe 10-24-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papped (Post 106299)
I let the crapware install also and haven't really had any problems.

I don't use BT at all though.

With BT off, the phone is just fine. I'm baffled as to why BT is causing so many problems on this device!!! If its not one problem, its another... and its not WM6 because other WM6 devices are just fine with BT...

Blitzed26 10-24-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codyppc (Post 106217)

push email
livesearch

I am with you. All day use and over 2 hours worth of phone calls almost all with BT, push email, live searches, and minor internet surfing. Now my d-pad stopped working from time to time requiring a soft reset, but I think that is software related. I haven't had a lock up one time.

Installed Software:

Microsoft Office 2007 w/ One Note
Live Search
HTC Home
Handmark on Demand
Arcsoft MMS
PHM Registry Editor
TNT Task Manager 2.0
DinarSoft MemMaid
Microsoft Voice Command.

Yankees368 10-24-2007 07:00 PM

it just happened again to me. this time, i pulled it out of my pocket and it was locked up on the home screen ad backlight on. green light still blinking, but unresponsive. help!

ms30250 10-24-2007 07:01 PM

same here

My phone locked up twice today. I t seems to happen when the phone is left alone (goes to sleep) for a long period of time. I have not even turned on my bluetooth, so it has nothing to do with that.

monster28 10-24-2007 07:01 PM

mons wouldn't like me save pic to phone numbers and wouldnt let me save web site so i had to hard reset and go thew all the cabs one by one

dishe 10-24-2007 07:05 PM

I installed a custom rom (DCD's) over this update, and its having trouble too... I'm wondering if our problems come from the new Radio ROM (since that is the only part DCD's rom doesn't update).
hmmm....

I wonder if we can make the new rom more stable by flashing the radio part to an older version?

yakuza 10-24-2007 07:41 PM

I'm seeing this too, and I've not turned on my bluetooth since I upgraded the ROM. I upgraded this AM, and it's locked up about 3 or 4 times so far just in the past 4 or 5 hours. The lockups happen while it's sitting there on my desk, plugged in or not makes no difference.

I have the following apps installed:
Oxios Memory
Spb Backup
Spb Brain Evolution
Fann Software CapScrUtil
MS Remote Desktop
HTC Home
HTC Home Customizer
PHM Registry Editor
Task Manager 2.0 (Xbutton)

dcd 10-24-2007 08:04 PM

guys, dishe was right, its the radio, and i believe it specifically affects evdo. i can consistently produce the lockups by running EV only on radio 1.47 with any flavor os. radio 1.40 does not produce the lockups. 1x only on radio 1.47 does not produce the lockups.

z3bu 10-24-2007 08:22 PM

no EVDO in my area, only 1X, and it's frozen twice today. BT has never been put on since i upgraded.

drurc8 10-24-2007 08:23 PM

We all may have the same problem after upgrading Mogul Rom Update. I have to reset twice today and somehow the bluetooth turns off itself, does anyone experience this problem? Did Sprint test the new rom before it's released?

iwannabeused 10-24-2007 08:26 PM

My phone has been locking up like crazy too. Too many times to count! What a disappointment! I previously had a 6700 and lots of problems, now I get this piece, and still problems. Makes me want to switch to Palm! Hard to be a loyal customer to the Windows devices, when all it is are major problems! Ridiculous!

Yankees368 10-24-2007 08:27 PM

stupid question... after the update, my phone is showing ROM version 2.16.651.0
i saw elsewhere on the forums that there is a 651.6?
how did i get an outdated version?

iwannabeused 10-24-2007 08:28 PM

Sorry to post again, but looks like they took down the latest version on HTC website.

dtndvm 10-24-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankees368 (Post 106123)

Programs:
Microsoft Live Search
Handmark on Demand
HTC X-Button 1.5
WiFiFoFum
Arcsoft MMS
PocketCM Contacts 0.15
Nilisco Flashlight
HTC Home
Google Maps

Maybe a Sprint network problem? I had 3 lockups this PM while using PIE. All started as a hung web page. All required a soft-reboot. I haven't installed the new ROM yet!

zanda61 10-24-2007 09:23 PM

I installed the update last night and have had some odd problems. Bluetooth shut itself off once today. Once I turned the unit on and the screen was a "negative" of itself. I turned off and back on and the problem went away. But I've never seen that before. I live in an area without Sprint EVDO but I can roam to another carrier (probably alltel) and get EVDO speeds. This requires a change to the phone settings and when I went from 1xRTT to EVDO things went fine. When I went back, the phone locked up and had to do soft reset. Again, this has not happened before.

The blutooth sound quality is much better with this rom. I've tried the Sony HBH-DS970 and the Motorola S9 headphones and both sound much better to caller on the other end. I can also confirm that the alarm function works while on the charger.

I seem to be having fewer problems as the day wears on, but I'll keep messing with it to see if I can replicate some of the crashes.

land2634 10-24-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcd (Post 106353)
guys, dishe was right, its the radio, and i believe it specifically affects evdo. i can consistently produce the lockups by running EV only on radio 1.47 with any flavor os. radio 1.40 does not produce the lockups. 1x only on radio 1.47 does not produce the lockups.

I had no freezeups at all until the one time I was in an EVDO area today and used it, I had to soft reset because the device became unresponsive. Didn't even have the bluetooth radio on. I'm thinking it probably has something to do with the EVDO as well.

DiamynzNPearlz 10-24-2007 09:48 PM

I am so heated and disappointed. Ive been doing soft resets all day, at least 6. This is ridiculous...and I am glad that i am not the only one.

ajac 10-24-2007 10:11 PM

Yeah locks up since the update before the update no lock ups at all.Ug making me mad

budney 10-24-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanda61 (Post 106385)
I seem to be having fewer problems as the day wears on, but I'll keep messing with it to see if I can replicate some of the crashes.

I too had a few strange things happen yesterday soon after I did the update. By the end of the day I had no problems, also no problems today. I have had no bluetooth issues either. Used my iTech clip for over two hours today with no issues.

idelgado782 10-24-2007 10:40 PM

But these are the same types of issues I had when I did the last ROM update. I stated this problem yesterday in the thread about this new update coming out. Thats why I didn't immediately update. i had to swap out my last mogul because after I did the update the touch screen wouldnt work and I even did a soft reset and hard reset and the phone just eventually stopped working. I was hesitant to this ROM for this reason. I guess I will continue to wait then. I don't really have that many issues with the phone. I use the Plantronics 650e and my alarm works when its charging so I didnt really see a need to do this update. The only reason that made me want to update was because I wanted to access the Sprint Music Store, but all of these issues are definately not worth it.

piaa_nissan 10-24-2007 10:48 PM

My was locking like a mofo. I found X Button 1.5 was killing it along with weather panel. I reinstalled both, put X button 2.0 on it and it was ok. I tried to reinstall weather panel but the lag and lockup was back. So far everything is holding it's own. X button 1.5 definitely didn't do me any favors either.

Yankees368 10-24-2007 10:55 PM

So what do we think we have here?

A problem with EVDO (which I definetly think is the answer, as my phone earlier today was stuck on 1x for no apparent reason, until I went into Field Test Mode and then it locked up when I clicked on HDR) or X button

winmobilelawyer 10-24-2007 11:07 PM

Turning off the "Turn off device" after certain minutes ended up not working for me. I just did a hard reset and I am going to leave the phone alone for a while to see what happens. I skipped the Sprint custimization this time instead of letting it go last time. Will let you know what happens