PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Mike5150 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rooting for n00bs?

I am coming from a Win Mobile phone (Touch Pro 2) which I installed countless custom ROM's on. Before I begin installing custom ROM's on my TB I would like to understand the process a little bit more. I have seen a couple instructional posts on how to root and that seems simple enough. I was hoping someone could point me to somewhere that describes all the terms (Adb, eMMC, s-off etc). I was also hoping to find out exactly what needs to be backed up before I root. With my TP2, I used a program called Sashimi which I was able to use to back up all the registry entries and files that I wanted to keep. I don't even know where to begin backing up PIM data, or if android even has something like a registry. Most importantly though, I would like to know if there is a program like Co0kies home tab?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Rooting for n00bs?

Read this before rooting:
[Exclusive] How To Root The HTC ThunderBolt And Unlock Its Bootloader | Android News, Reviews, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets, Tips, Mods, Videos, Tutorials - Android Police
This is what I found the most helpful before flashing:
[GUIDE] Rom Manager/Clockwork Mod The Effective Way When Flashing Custom Roms. - Android Forums

Email/contacts/calendar are backed up to your Gmail account. Titanium Backup should back everything else up, but I haven't used it myself.
There is a google backup assistant that you log into when you first setup the phone that backs up bookmarks and I'm not quite sure what else.
Was never a fan of Sashimi, as it took me no more than 15 minutes to get everything else back the way I wanted it.
Clockwork recovery will basically back up your existing setup intact in case of a problem.
I loved Cookie, but kind of useless on Android. You can basically customize it any way you want out of the box and I just happen to be a big fan of Sense.
Hope this helps
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

my opinion. use stock rom for entire first month of owning a new phone to get a feel for it and the process and such
Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the links! Thats exactly what I was looking for. The reason I like Co0kie is because I would like to shrink the icons so I can fit 5 across, and I would really like to get a small notification bar instead of the icons and a small adgenda widget on my home screen. I also liked how I could link my weather clock to weatherbug and my alarm clock program. I havent found a way to do these yet in sense, but maybe there are some apps that can accomplish them.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:59 AM
H the F Up!RED DRAGONS!!
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: Big Red V

Whotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5150 View Post
Thanks for the links! Thats exactly what I was looking for. The reason I like Co0kie is because I would like to shrink the icons so I can fit 5 across, and I would really like to get a small notification bar instead of the icons and a small adgenda widget on my home screen. I also liked how I could link my weather clock to weatherbug and my alarm clock program. I havent found a way to do these yet in sense, but maybe there are some apps that can accomplish them.
My friend you can do more than you can dream of with this thing. Once you get used to the set up over CHT and WM it is far superior.

As for linking weather clock, weatherbug, and alarm = Beautiful Widgets or Fancy Widget. Both will link all three things together. Check 'em out in the market. Small agenda, try Smooth Calendar. I have screen shots in the Screen Shots thread. My clock is Fancy Widget, My agenda is Smooth calender. Both are customizable down to text color even.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Awesome! Ill check those out right now. Is there any way to shrink the icons so I can fit 5 across instead of 4?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt