PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

ToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good workToxicToastKatz is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Google Calendar Questions

Howdy,

So I'm having some issues with utilizing my Google Calendar on my Hero.

First off, I've always used my company's Exchange Server for Contacts and Calendar, simply because my Outlook is always open at work and it's easier than opening a web browser to access my Google Calendar and Contacts. The problem I've been seeing lately with my Hero, for some reason, is that the Exchange syncronization is out of whack. There are times where it acts as it should (it's set to sync "As Items Arrive") and other times where it won't sync for 12 hours. I'll look at my phone, and emails and calendar entries that have either been deleted, changed or added are not sync'd with the server.

Yesterday, I realized that Google has a sync client that can sync the Exchange with your Google Calendar, so I set that up on my work computer to sync every 10 minutes with my Exchange Server, and then set my phone to only sync/show the Google Calendar, figuring that I could bypass the potential Exchange Issues. I gave this setup a try, and the calendar became virtually unusable. It would take 40 seconds to open and perform any kind of action. Once opened, it would hang. I also noticed that under "Date Syncronization" in the Google tab, the Calendar was continually trying to sync (it was always showing the little sync circle) and the icon was a mainstay at the top of the screen. I've always had the Google calendar sync with the phone (no idea why, since I never had it viewed in the Calendar app) and I never saw this behavior (interesting note....I finally figured out why I was getting dual notifications on things even after dismissing....even though the calendar isn't being "shown" in the app....the data is still being synced and the notification will still go off...duh on my part). Could this constant syncing and hanging of the app be a result of the calendar continually polling my Exchange Server? I'd really like a way to utilize the Google Calendar sync on my phone without actually having to use the UI of Google Calendar on the computer.

Additionally, just for kicks and grins, I tried adding a supplemental calendar to my Google Calendar on the computer and it never showed up on my phone.

If anyone has any ideas or experiences related to this that they could share or maybe point me in a direction where I can accomplish what I'd like, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero

Tags
calendar, google, sync