PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo Shift 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=305)
-   -   HTC Evo Shift 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=138695)

Agent0Hibachi 12-21-2010 09:29 PM

HTC Evo Shift 4G

HTC EVO Shift 4G spotted in the wild, said to have 800MHz CPU -- Engadget

Just went up on the Engadget site. What do you guys think?

lkillen 12-21-2010 09:33 PM

Re: HTC Evo Shift 4G

Say what?

gTen 12-21-2010 09:36 PM

well it was rumored to be an HTC Merge for Sprint....that said the 800mhz 2nd gen snapdragon is on par if not better then the 1st gen 1ghz one anyways...

Oh and...moved to HTC Evo Shift 4G section since we have that now...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/htc-evo-shift-4g/

ajac 12-22-2010 09:22 AM

I am glad after I saw this phone in the wild the other day that I am gonna pass on it love my epic. Wish HTC just slapped a keyboard on the evo.. now that I would have bought lol.

matchstickredgti 12-29-2010 05:32 PM

Only 800mhz?

Seems like it's going to be outdated before it's even released.

What perplexes me is why did they make the screen smaller? This shouldn't be branded an Evo

jm2c

Not bashing it as I'm sure it's a very capable device it just seems like they are going in the wrong direction with this one.

Dr.8820 12-29-2010 05:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

the smaller processor handles what the 1gb does....and without killing the battery ;).

AZTECHKA 12-29-2010 07:19 PM

It looks pretty sweet... Now we just need battery manufacturers to step up to the next level and give us something that lasts more than just a few hours on our existing devices as well as future ones.
The technology is out there. They are just dragging their feet while raking in the cash.
p.

Riley 12-30-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2026395)
It looks pretty sweet... Now we just need battery manufacturers to step up to the next level and give us something that lasts more than just a few hours on our existing devices as well as future ones.
The technology is out there. They are just dragging their feet while raking in the cash.
p.

+1, this is the problem. You can get good battery life with all of our devices, so long as you don't use them much.

tacotoy 12-30-2010 05:21 PM

is it an 800mhz dual core??? IIRC thats what the next gen of snapdragons were going to be??

RobDFW 12-30-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangomango (Post 2026316)
Only 800mhz?

Seems like it's going to be outdated before it's even released.

What perplexes me is why did they make the screen smaller? This shouldn't be branded an Evo

jm2c

Not bashing it as I'm sure it's a very capable device it just seems like they are going in the wrong direction with this one.

Agreed. This reminds me of them creating the Touch Pro after having the HTC Mogul. The screen was a tad smaller. I would love a keyboard...but with the same size screen as I have currently. To me, it is a step backwards. The name of the phone is misleading.

yankees45us 12-30-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobDFW (Post 2026986)
Agreed. This reminds me of them creating the Touch Pro after having the HTC Mogul. The screen was a tad smaller. I would love a keyboard...but with the same size screen as I have currently. To me, it is a step backwards. The name of the phone is misleading.

It's not really a step backward. The 800mhz proccesor is faster and more efficient than the 1ghz on the evo. Just take a look at the benchmarks on youtube or google it. Also screen size being smaller is not a downgrade. The iphone and epic both have a smaller screen and they both are great phones. We'll see when it comes out. I myself will wait for the evo 2 which should have dual core and hopefully htc will start using gorilla glass and better resolution.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417

lafester 12-31-2010 12:35 PM

definitely worth checking out with that new processor.
screen size should be ok since you have a kb but it better be a high res amoled.

this could be the fastest cdma phone out for at least a little while :)

Mias_Daddy 12-31-2010 04:02 PM

I was going to wait until this came out to get a replacement for my TP2, however after seeing the specs on this one, I will probably pass and just get the Evo.

yankees45us 12-31-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mias_Daddy (Post 2027381)
I was going to wait until this came out to get a replacement for my TP2, however after seeing the specs on this one, I will probably pass and just get the Evo.

What about the specs makes you pass on it?

jamice4u 01-01-2011 06:02 PM

I would like to see the final specifications on this phone before I would commit to it. I would also want to test out the camera and other feature in the store to see if this phone would be an upgrade. There is not much information out on this phone. I would also wait until they come out with a phone with the new HTC Sense UI. I would want TomTom maps because some day I have to drive to 20 to 30 different location and I need a map program that does not depend on the network and has a map itinerary.

Now I am starting to understand why HTC wants to start cracking down on the use of their ROMs basically if you could get a Samsung Epic with the HTC UI why would you buy an HTC phone. The Epic has the superior screen but I believe HTC is better when it come to their GPS technology.

But something is telling me I should suffer and wait until the summer time before I upgrade my cell phone. I personally think that this phone is a step forward because it has an 800 Mhz dual processor which does the work of a 1 Ghz processor with less strain on the phone's power resources.

Apple does a way better job at promoting their new cell phone than HTC. They tell you the specs months ahead of time and not wait until the day of the phone's release.

jamice4u 01-01-2011 06:19 PM

I don't think I will be hi resolution amoled. I remember reading some place that Samsung will restrict the amoled screens to only their devices for 2 years. I believe after 2 years Samsung will probably have something better anyways. I will have a screen something similar to the current Evo but only smaller.

lafester 01-01-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 2028011)
I don't think I will be hi resolution amoled. I remember reading some place that Samsung will restrict the amoled screens to only their devices for 2 years. I believe after 2 years Samsung will probably have something better anyways. I will have a screen something similar to the current Evo but only smaller.

they could always use slcd. if it has a regular lcd like evo I'll pass.

gTen 01-01-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 2027999)
Now I am starting to understand why HTC wants to start cracking down on the use of their ROMs basically if you could get a Samsung Epic with the HTC UI why would you buy an HTC phone. The Epic has the superior screen but I believe HTC is better when it come to their GPS technology.

HTC has no technology..they don't make their own hardware..the GPS tech belongs to Qualcomm on built in GPSOne in the Snapdragon processors...As for the Epic, the GPS issue is Software based..not hardware...on froyo its fixed.

Quote:

But something is telling me I should suffer and wait until the summer time before I upgrade my cell phone. I personally think that this phone is a step forward because it has an 800 Mhz dual processor which does the work of a 1 Ghz processor with less strain on the phone's power resources.
Its not a dual 800mhz.. just a 2nd generation snapdragon which is 45nm and has a 2x better GPU

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamice4u (Post 2028011)

AMOLED anyone can use..its the Super AMOLED which they will keep to themselves for 18month

beefcakeb0 01-02-2011 06:10 AM

I would think there would be some sort of solid update by now?:protest:

gTen 01-02-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beefcakeb0 (Post 2028335)
I would think there would be some sort of solid update by now?:protest:

What do you mean? like more information about the phone?

boredandtattooed 01-02-2011 11:21 AM

if anything CES is only a few days away, and the device launches on the 9th(via RadioShack Ad)..

sp4rtan5 01-02-2011 11:25 AM

Here we go again 7 yet another fail downgrade htc new phone. Why htc keep ripping off people? Instead of making upgrades, thet make downgrades. What's next? Snapdragon 3! 200 mhz with quadcore. It fast cause its 4 200mhz cpu in one! Omfggtfobbq!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

sp4rtan5 01-02-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankees45us (Post 2027019)
It's not really a step backward. The 800mhz proccesor is faster and more efficient than the 1ghz on the evo. Just take a look at the benchmarks on youtube or google it. Also screen size being smaller is not a downgrade. The iphone and epic both have a smaller screen and they both are great phones. We'll see when it comes out. I myself will wait for the evo 2 which should have dual core and hopefully htc will start using gorilla glass and better resolution.

Alright! I demand links for

benchmarks of its gpu! Compared to hummingbirg. Otherwise, its a downgrade.

beefcakeb0 01-02-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2028339)
What do you mean? like more information about the phone?

ummmmmmm...... :scratch: yea? I mean like something official? something concrete...something that has specs that we can take seriously considering it is supposedly less then a week from debut. Ther are being awfully :silent: about this one.

yankees45us 01-02-2011 01:48 PM

Its the same processor as the htc desire. So look on youtube or online for the benchmarks. Or do evo vs desire. You'll see the difference between the processors.

ECY2K10 01-02-2011 01:53 PM

HTC Evo 4G

I need help rooting my htc evo 4g. I have the 3.7 update. Can some help me?

beefcakeb0 01-02-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECY2K10 (Post 2028477)
I need help rooting my htc evo 4g. I have the 3.7 update. Can some help me?

try the evo su section...this is the evo shift sub section

shortbus182 01-02-2011 04:38 PM

I'm wondering about a shift vs epic.. Anyone know how these two compare?

sp4rtan5 01-03-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbus182 (Post 2028586)
I'm wondering about a shift vs epic.. Anyone know how these two compare?

Well, Epic is ALOT faster than Evo in almost all areas exept it kills the Evo in the 3d department. And Android loves 3d power. So if evo is faster than shift , then Epic rams thru shift.

sp4rtan5 01-03-2011 12:19 AM

GPU differences: QSD8250 uses Adreno 200 GPU, while MSM8255 uses Adreno 205 GPU. Adreno 205 is expected to be three to four times faster than Adreno 200! This means most games will run much better on MSM8255. So will any apps that may utilize the power of the GPU. Is it better than Samsung’s Hummingbird? Unfortunately its not a resounding ‘yes’. Theoretical fill rate of Adreno 205 is only about half of Hummingbird’s Power SGX540 GPU. Whether this gap translates into real performance gap remains to be seen. (Read this article for more information on Adreno 205 GPU).

Got this data. Meaning Epic wins again. Htc fail.

solewoman 01-03-2011 09:48 AM

i was looking at the shift vs the 7 pro...why dosent the shift have a front facing camera...?

Maxx134 01-03-2011 10:01 AM

it does not have to be better than bothEpic and Evo.
it just has to be good..
and, as we see by its specs it should be good,
on both performance and battery.
it will be the lowest priced 4g phone.
we wont have to wait till summer for something new.
with stated overclocking ability, it should compete with future models.
it is a win situation at a selling point of as low as $150
For a 4g phone.
I just hope the screen is nice & it has a front cam (doubt it)
EDIT :
Looking better than expected as specs leaked out from Android police...
front cam,
8mp cam with dual led flash,
Android 2.2,
and expected processor may not even be from G2 but newer still...

jamice4u 01-03-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solewoman (Post 2028911)
i was looking at the shift vs the 7 pro...why dosent the shift have a front facing camera...?

This phone does not have a front facing camera. It has been confirmed from the Sprint announcement made today and yes you do have to pay the extra $10 for 4G capabilities.

AZTECHKA 01-03-2011 08:10 PM

It looks as though this will be my wifes' new phone. If I get her a WP7 phone she'll probably throw it at me. She always wants what I have and it hasn't paid off for her yet. She hates that the TP2's battery dies quickly when searching for service. lol.
This Shift looks very nice. And it's not huge. I can't wait to try it out.
p.

sp4rtan5 01-03-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2029352)
It looks as though this will be my wifes' new phone. If I get her a WP7 phone she'll probably throw it at me. She always wants what I have and it hasn't paid off for her yet. She hates that the TP2's battery dies quickly when searching for service. lol.
This Shift looks very nice. And it's not huge. I can't wait to try it out.
p.

Why u hate yo wife? Dont be a douche to her! Ill go there and slap u! Poor woman! Get her a epic! Giving her a htc is hate. No looove!

dreds71 01-04-2011 11:43 AM

Just found this:

Sprint HTC EVO

jamice4u 01-04-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreds71 (Post 2029656)
Just found this:

Sprint HTC EVO

Nice find these are the official specifications for the evo shift directly from sprint's website. This will and all speculation about evo shifts specifications. Might I add that the phone comes with a 1500 mAh battery. I would like to see somebody designed a custom ROM for this phone to further extend the battery life and also to expose the overclocking possibilities on this phone. There are a lot of conflicting reports about the specification of this phone some websites show with having a eight megapixel camera but the Sprint website show what having a five megapixel camera. Some websites showing it having a 3.7 inch screen while the Sprint website shows it having a 3.6 inch screen. This will end all the confusing reports about this cell phone. It will be interesting to see what type of support this phone gets from the flashing community.

Maxx134 01-04-2011 01:03 PM

dam that suks if no front cam and same screen size as a TP2..
mayby the model differs Bcause Sprint gimped their model :(

sp4rtan5 01-04-2011 01:12 PM

Usually verizon gimps all the phones, not sprint. Sprint does a good job not gimping like the epic. Epic is tje only one woth a kb. Nice.

AZTECHKA 01-04-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp4rtan5 (Post 2029695)
Usually verizon gimps all the phones, not sprint. Sprint does a good job not gimping like the epic. Epic is tje only one woth a kb. Nice.

You obviously have an epic. I gathered that from your superior keyboarding skills.
p.