PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
lbcary

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
OTA update on new Rooted Evo

I recently got the HTC EVO,not the Shift.The original Evo. I rooted the device with Unrevoked 3 and left the stock rom,radio.I mostly rooted the device to get free mobile hotspot,and to remove bloatware.I know i will probly have to install a custom kernel to get the free mobile hotspot, but I mainly have just one question. Since my Evo is rooted,but still with stock everything, will it still be able to recieve OTA updates,or will i have to install update.zip to my sdcard and update thru bootloader. Ive read that as long as the rom is still stock it will recieve OTA updates,but it might unroot my Evo in the OTA update process,which doesnt bother me.Its very simple to root.I rooted my Incredible,a Huaweii Ascend,and my EVO.Ive also heard that it wont update OTA at all if its rooted. Also is unrooting the Evo as easy as using/running Unrevoked s-off? Or is there a good instruction set on unrooting the Evo via Unrevoked. Thanks for any/all info. Ive been flashing/modding WM devices for years,but only been using Android for about 3-4 months. Thanks again. Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OTA update on new Rooted Evo

You don't need custom kernel to for hotspot.

Some Kernels/ROMs may run it better but you don't need to run it.

Also you need to goto Market for "WIFI for rooted users".

Some ROM's have a patch for the Sprint Hot Spot. But I find the Market apps works better any way.

I've read you should never OTA update while rooted or you can lose root permanently.

Don't know why or if true, just that I recently read it.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint

lkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stufflkillen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Once I was rooted, I was never able to OTA. Actually, I quite trying. But if you do succeed in installing a full OTA or a stock RUU, you will be back to stock and unrooted.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Micro$oft 950
Carrier: AT&T

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

I am a windows guy (sorry) but recently rooted the wifes EVO because she wanted the Sprint and other things she didn't use gone. From my research once certain things were removed OTA updates would fail because of the missing files so they suggested "freezing" them with Titanium so they wouldn't be missing.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo70 View Post
I am a windows guy (sorry) but recently rooted the wifes EVO because she wanted the Sprint and other things she didn't use gone. From my research once certain things were removed OTA updates would fail because of the missing files so they suggested "freezing" them with Titanium so they wouldn't be missing.
what apps do you want gone?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 AM
VIP Member

steveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the communitysteveo70 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlE View Post
what apps do you want gone?
She wanted out the regular bloatware and things like RSS ect. She thinks I should be Mr. expert because I can cook a custom ROM for my TP2. I was afraid of her OTA updates going bad and feeling the pain when it did LOL. Side not her clear notification button; as well as, search button in marketplace quit working. seems to be the top right corner. Any ideas?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 AM
N00b

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

rss is safe and so is sprint ware like nascar etc etc .. just dont remove anything google cuz i dont remember what app i think its voice or something it will kill the market
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlE View Post
rss is safe and so is sprint ware like nascar etc etc .. just dont remove anything google cuz i dont remember what app i think its voice or something it will kill the market
Thanks. I did find a safe list before freezing what she wanted me to. I'll look back through what I froze just in case.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 AM
lbcary

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I had a rooted,flashed to cricket service,htc incredible that i ran the stock vzw htc incr rom,froyo 2.2andd,but it was fully rooted & nand unlocked,but with stock evryrhing. I got an OTA update for it almost twice a week to update to 2.2.1 OTA,but it never updated.I thought it was bcuz i had it on Cricket. I havent uninstalled any syatem apps,but i hav frozen some.but i can defrost them and they are back. Is ther a good writeup on unrooting the Evo using Unrevoked somehow,that is how i rooted it in the.first place. Or.do i hav to flash the same stock rom that came on the my Evo with the same radio. Is that correct.near right. I want a simple way to unroot a new,original,Evo,so i can take it to Sprint if i hav problems. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:28 AM
N00b

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/forever

flash this
How can this be removed or undone if I need to take my phone in for service?
Download the latest ''S-ON'' tool to a temporary location and follow the installation instructions above to run it. Once your phone is S-ON, you may lose root permanently if you install an official update

Place PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sd card.
Boot the phone into the bootloader by powering the phone down, then press the power and the volume down buttons at the same time.
Once the phone boots into the bootloader the phone will automatically recognize the zip file.
It will ask if you would like to update, select yes and let it do it's thing and you will be good to go

PC36IMG_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1_Radio_2 .15.00.11.19_NV_1.90_release_161482_signed.zip (202.01 MB)
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
MD5 Checksum: 7056D42812AA5DF03FCC8DDDC2B64E85
SHA-1 Checksum: F3725824147B54F4ED917CB025FB5F693B17782B

youll be unrooted and back to stock

Last edited by Karl; 03-23-2011 at 03:38 AM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G