PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC TP, TP2, EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

Biofall is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rooting Backup Question!

Hey everyone, I'm finally gunna jump on the bandwagon and root/flash OMJ's ROM on my device, mainly because I hate my life (battery, that is).

So my question is, since I've been using my phone a lot since I got it, and I have all kinds of stuff installed, how do I back that up, along with my contacts? Does the backup step that I see in the rooting process cover this, and if so, how will I re-load all of my contacts and data?

Thanks for helping me out!
The Kernel.... HTC Supersecret Supersonic 3.28.651.1 - unreleased OTA (thanks flipzmod!)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Rooting Backup Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofall View Post
Hey everyone, I'm finally gunna jump on the bandwagon and root/flash OMJ's ROM on my device, mainly because I hate my life (battery, that is).

So my question is, since I've been using my phone a lot since I got it, and I have all kinds of stuff installed, how do I back that up, along with my contacts? Does the backup step that I see in the rooting process cover this, and if so, how will I re-load all of my contacts and data?

Thanks for helping me out!

Just use your gmail account to backup your contacts and calendar. Then download titanium from the market and use that to back up all of your programs. You do have to be rooted to use titanium, though. I would do the unrevoked method just to do a simple unlock. It is the easiest way to get titanium working. Once you are all done with your backup, uninstall unrevoked. That is it!

You can get unrevoked from the following link. Download it from your phone and follow the directions.

http://unrevoked.com/m/
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdauria View Post
Just use your gmail account to backup your contacts and calendar. Then download titanium from the market and use that to back up all of your programs. You do have to be rooted to use titanium, though. I would do the unrevoked method just to do a simple unlock. It is the easiest way to get titanium working. Once you are all done with your backup, uninstall unrevoked. That is it!

You can get unrevoked from the following link. Download it from your phone and follow the directions.

http://unrevoked.com/m/
How do I sync my contacts with gmail
Old 06-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biofall View Post
How do I sync my contacts with gmail
When you got your phone did they set you up with a google account? If so, log into gmail from your home computer and click on contacts. All of your contacts should there already. If they are there, you are good to go. When you are all finished flashing, the phone will prompt you to log into your google account. When you log in it will automatically bring your contacts back into your phone. That's it!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
When you got your phone did they set you up with a google account? If so, log into gmail from your home computer and click on contacts. All of your contacts should there already. If they are there, you are good to go. When you are all finished flashing, the phone will prompt you to log into your google account. When you log in it will automatically bring your contacts back into your phone. That's it!
Yeah it didn't sync the contacts from my phone into gmail
Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker

On your phone go into settings, accounts and sync, click on google and make sure all of the boxes are checked. After you check them all click sync now.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
On your phone go into settings, accounts and sync, click on google and make sure all of the boxes are checked. After you check them all click sync now.
Well I got my contacts synced using htc sync, but can't I just root the device normally, then use titanium, then flash?

Last edited by Biofall; 06-20-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Yes, I believe so. I just did it this way to be sure that I saw my backup before I even started. It made me feel better about doing the process.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP12PREDIAMONDMOMENTEVO
Carrier: anyone

veronicamays is becoming a great contributor

If you root then get titanuim it won't have a backup as rooting will wipe the device clean if you do toast's method...I believe.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yeah the poster before me was right. I just lost it..but I'm still wondering how to sync my gmail. I checked all the boxes but it didn't work..

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G