PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SPRINT

cmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on repcmdauria is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Easiest step by step instructions for root!

I found this over at XDA from poster, TheBiles. It is by far the easiest tutorial for an Android Newbie like myself to follow. If this has already been posted, I apologize. I found it very easy to follow and just wanted to share! If there is already a thread like this, MODS please close this one. I tried to copy the information over but it has too many images!

Here is the link to the original thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701004
Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC ONE
Carrier: Ting

Mystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the community
Re: Easiest step by step instructions for root!

We already have a GREAT tutorial by FastRX8 that includes videos, I think its better than the one you mention.

It's stickied: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123714
Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM
Carrier: Sprint

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Got as far as backing up all my applications with Titanium backup and then realized only have a wall cable and not a USB.

The link to Titatium back up was worth the post.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G/Epic 4G

NuLLKiLL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNuLLKiLL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNuLLKiLL is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNuLLKiLL is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjsrik View Post
Got as far as backing up all my applications with Titanium backup and then realized only have a wall cable and not a USB.

The link to Titatium back up was worth the post.
The cable that comes with the EVO includes a USB. You need to remove the cord that plugs into your phone from the receptacle that plugs into the wall. It should be connected by a USB connector.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

FYI - unrevoked is not really Rooting

If all you do is the unrevoked process so you can get your tether on, don't be surprised when you have issues.
Partially rooted phone + Non-rooted Rom = "What's wrong w/ my phone? I rooted..."

Also, I have yet to see anyone have any success w/ Titanium. Nandroid recovery works great, but you actually have to full-root your phone to use it.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC ONE
Carrier: Ting

Mystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
FYI - unrevoked is not really Rooting

If all you do is the unrevoked process so you can get your tether on, don't be surprised when you have issues.
Partially rooted phone + Non-rooted Rom = "What's wrong w/ my phone? I rooted..."

Also, I have yet to see anyone have any success w/ Titanium. Nandroid recovery works great, but you actually have to full-root your phone to use it.
I was able to backup everything and restore it no problems with Titanium.

Quick question though, can I use nand backup to restore the phone back to how it was after flashing to a new ROM? Lets use for example fresh rom. If I flash from .2 to .3 and once I'm flashed to .3, I restore using nand, will it flash me back to .2, or the nand backup just backs up the applications and system data? Just want to make sure I can use nand backup next time to restore my phone after flashing a new rom. Thanks!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuLLKiLL View Post
The cable that comes with the EVO includes a USB. You need to remove the cord that plugs into your phone from the receptacle that plugs into the wall. It should be connected by a USB connector.
I know that, I'm not a complete noob. Only at Android. I use that cable at home where I can plug it into the USB port on the PC, I have an iGo at work that is strictly a wall charger. Cogito Ergo Sum, gotta' wait unitl I get home.

On a side note, went over to the local Battery Park radio shack, they had absolutlely NO cases in stock, NONE of the USB --> MicroUSB cables would either recognize or charge the Evo when plugged in.

Pretty sad.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
I know that, I'm not a complete noob. Only at Android. I use that cable at home where I can plug it into the USB port on the PC, I have an iGo at work that is strictly a wall charger. Cogito Ergo Sum, gotta' wait unitl I get home.

On a side note, went over to the local Battery Park radio shack, they had absolutlely NO cases in stock, NONE of the USB --> MicroUSB cables would either recognize or charge the Evo when plugged in.

Pretty sad.
thats strange. I bought a usb cable from Radioshack that works great with the Evo.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

aznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuffaznmode knows their stuff

Quote:

Pretty sad.
That's weird about the micro usb cable not charging. What I use now is a micro to mini USB adaptor I got from Fry's Electronics here in the bay area. Cost is $4.99 branded by Motorola. Amazon sells them for $1.22 http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Mini-.../dp/B0018L4GOQ They got smaller ones too but more expensive.
Anyway I get to keep my old cables and chargers from my TP2 and just use the adaptor. I bought like 3 of them for work, car, home. I may buy another just to put in my keychain just incase.

Edit: Here's one I found for cheaper from another thread.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35005

Original thread
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125555

Sorry for the Hijack...

Last edited by aznmode; 06-17-2010 at 05:23 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G