PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Games run Choppy on EVO (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123351)

timgt 06-02-2010 11:05 PM

Games run Choppy on EVO

I just got my EVO today and love the thing but why does every game run choppy compared to its iphone version?

I have a ipod touch with doodle jump and paper toss so I loaded the same 2 games on the EVO and both are not very playable for me since I am used to them running smooth.

I then pulled up youtube and watched people game on the EVO and every game I saw was choppy as well.

Does the 3D drivers suck on this phone like they did on the HD2 or is this something with the snapdragon?

Do you see a fix for this coming soon? Everything else is amazing on the phone, gaming is pointless so far which stinks since the screen size is so large.

biscodude 06-02-2010 11:29 PM

Re: Games run Choppy on EVO

That's odd. I saw video on youtube of 3d games running smoothly on it the other day.

Biofall 06-02-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788344)
I just got my EVO today and love the thing but why does every game run choppy compared to its iphone version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788344)

I have a ipod touch with doodle jump and paper toss so I loaded the same 2 games on the EVO and both are not very playable for me since I am used to them running smooth.

I then pulled up youtube and watched people game on the EVO and every game I saw was choppy as well.

Does the 3D drivers suck on this phone like they did on the HD2 or is this something with the snapdragon?

Do you see a fix for this coming soon? Everything else is amazing on the phone, gaming is pointless so far which stinks since the screen size is so large.

Um, are the games you got actually from the android marketplace? And are they free? If you answered no to either of these quesitons then there is your problem. If the game is ported straight off the iPhone then yeah, it probably does suck.

Cause if you look at this, these games are the opposite of suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGOdAzdg_8

timgt 06-02-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biofall (Post 1788408)

Um, are the games you got actually from the android marketplace? And are they free? If you answered no to either of these quesitons then there is your problem. If the game is ported straight off the iPhone then yeah, it probably does suck.

Cause if you look at this, these games are the opposite of suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGOdAzdg_8

LOL, thats actually the video I watched. You can watch that and say those games run smooth??

I guess smooth to me and smooth to others may be a bit different. Spoiled with a gaming PC that i cant play below 60fps and nice framerate from games that run on my ipod touch.

I just don't understand if the processor is twice of an ipod why cant it do the same? I guess objective C is easier to program for then Java? I think thats what android uses as its language.

Rager02 06-02-2010 11:42 PM

i seen that video before and it seems the games on there run smooth,i will try it out friday Nova looks like a good game.

dasfool 06-02-2010 11:45 PM

If I remember correctly, the EVO does not have a dedicated GPU which would explain why some games don't run as well.

Edit: It actually does have a GPU integrated, an AMD Z430. Triangles/sec is decent on this, but the fill rate is kinda crappy compared to the SGX 535 in the iPhone 3GS.

BrianBaker 06-02-2010 11:45 PM

Everything ive downloaded from the market has run smooth..Baseball super stars,that super KO boxing game and homerun derby.

Biofall 06-02-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788420)
LOL, thats actually the video I watched. You can watch that and say those games run smooth??

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788420)

I guess smooth to me and smooth to others may be a bit different. Spoiled with a gaming PC that i cant play below 60fps and nice framerate from games that run on my ipod touch.

I just don't understand if the processor is twice of an ipod why cant it do the same? I guess objective C is easier to program for then Java? I think thats what android uses as its language.

Android does use Java, but I think instead of spending that time braggin, :toothy10: you could think about how on a multiplayer fps game like that, the initial startup might have a couple of blips, but otherwise everything looked relatively smooth.

dasfool 06-03-2010 12:05 AM

What may actually be the limiting factor here is how much time/priority these companies are putting into optimizing the game to run on Android (java) from the original language. When porting to webOS it seems the SDK does it for you (or there is very little work to be done), but going to java, you have to recode a lot since the original code is C++/Objective C.

Boo Boo 06-03-2010 12:26 AM

1st cause its not an iphone

shaned197 06-03-2010 12:50 AM

Watched all the games from the youtube site. I can honestly say I have most of those games on my ipod touch 3rd generation, and they ran much much better on the ipod.

I am still trying to decide between the Evo and iphone 4, but the 3gs already beats out the Evo in a gaming sense.

ChrisH09 06-03-2010 08:14 AM

Advanced Task Killer...one thing you have to remember on the Android OS is that a lot of the programs stay open, which eats up memory and storage space...Android OS tends to do weird things when it doesn't have a lot of memory...download Advanced Task Killer and run it...you'll be suprised how much the Evo begins to speed up...

TheBundo 06-03-2010 08:37 AM

Teeter works great. So does the virtual beer app, with the burp at the end. You may not think that's a game, but I drank 30 of them last night, and beat my friend, who could only drink 27

wbchristmas 06-03-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebundo (Post 1788654)
teeter works great. So does the virtual beer app, with the burp at the end. You may not think that's a game, but i drank 30 of them last night, and beat my friend, who could only drink 27

lmao!!

p-slim 06-03-2010 09:30 AM

You guys have to use a task killer before playing heavy games. Some people will say you don't need a task killer, they are wrong. Use a task killer before play and your games will run smoothly.

piscesjoey 06-03-2010 09:38 AM

I just wanna know if I'll be able to finally play Mystique Chapter 3 on the Evo cuz it would never play on my Hero, always forced close on me

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 09:39 AM

While I would agree the performance in that video isn't spectacular, the games that I play on Android are generally not so intensive, so it doesn't bother me. Also, they still are very good. The only one I saw that had any issue was that FPS at the end, but it wasn't too bad. Sure as hell beats any 3D gaming experience (or rather, lack thereof) we have on WM. lol

orangekid 06-03-2010 09:53 AM

The iPhone GPU is well known to run better than any other phone, and the A4 blows the snapdragon out of the water as far as GPU goes, it's just a fact.

If you want to game on your phone, get an iPhone HD, if you're more into aesthetics, widgets, and more control over your device (not to mention 4G) then get an Evo, but gaming and graphics-wise it will not even come close to the iPhone.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1788770)
The iPhone GPU is well known to run better than any other phone, and the A4 blows the snapdragon out of the water as far as GPU goes, it's just a fact.

If you want to game on your phone, get an iPhone HD, if you're more into aesthetics, widgets, and more control over your device (not to mention 4G) then get an Evo, but gaming and graphics-wise it will not even come close to the iPhone.

Or just to simplify:

If you want a gaming device, go get an iPhone...or more appropriately, a DSi or a PSP.

If you want a great smartphone platform, get an Android device. :)

p-slim 06-03-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1788770)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1788772)
Or just to simplify:

If you want a gaming device, go get an iPhone...or more appropriately, a DSi or a PSP.

If you want a great smartphone platform, get an Android device. :)

I can't agree with these statements at all. any game that has been created exactly the same, homerun battle, heavy gunner, plus a couple of other ones run exactly the same as on the iphone. One reason there is lag is because iphone can only run one program at a time so it has an auto task killer built into its os, its sounds like none of you are using the task killer but expect with 10 programs open the game to run smoothly? Also there is fragmentation in android currently so some games have only been made for the lower end androids and of course the iphone versions are better. But if you guys think games made for n1, evo, droid, or incredible are below iphone games you guys are wrong. Also once JIT is applied, you guys will be so wowed, but until then i understand you're disbelief.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1788776)
I can't agree with these statements at all. any game that has been created exactly the same, homerun battle, heavy gunner, plus a couple of other ones run exactly the same as on the iphone. One reason there is lag is because iphone can only run one program at a time so it has an auto task killer built into its os, its sounds like none of you are using the task killer but expect with 10 programs open the game to run smoothly? Also there is fragmentation in android currently so some games have only been made for the lower end androids and of course the iphone versions are better. But if you guys think games made for n1, evo, droid, or incredible are below iphone games you guys are wrong. Also once JIT is applied, you guys will be so wowed, but until then i understand you're disbelief.

True, I didn't really think about that. Sometimes I forget that the iPhone platform is so prehistoric that it only runs one program at a time.

reprod 06-03-2010 10:03 AM

Keep in mind that the Evo is also running the cellphone unit. If you want to turn it into more of a iPod Touch then you will need to turn off the radio and kill the background applications since this is essentially what the iPod Touch does.

karong 06-03-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1788731)
You guys have to use a task killer before playing heavy games. Some people will say you don't need a task killer, they are wrong. Use a task killer before play and your games will run smoothly.

Thats so true. i hate when ppl say dont use a task killer. I know for a fact my Hero runs smoother and has less lag after I kill the open apps running.

orangekid 06-03-2010 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by p-slim (Post 1788776)

The GPU on the iPhone 4G/HD is better than on the n1, Evo, and HD2, it's a hardware FACT. The A4 uses the samsung hummingbird CPU.

The iPhone can multitask if jailbroken, and I have had my phone, messaging, iheartradio, and facebook open while playing games and they run perfectly smooth on the 3GS, but not quite as smooth on the 3G.

Here is a chart comparing the different chips, note the next iPhone 4G/HD released this month has the same chip as the samsung galaxy, so you can use those stats.

Take a look at the GPU numbers, that's quite a difference. The snapdragon does not compare!

Mswezey 06-03-2010 10:49 AM

i can't even read that picture, even after i clicked on it!?

shaned197 06-03-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mswezey (Post 1788854)
i can't even read that picture, even after i clicked on it!?

This is where he pulled the picture incase you cant see it!

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Cellphonehardwarecompari1.png

Thanks orangekid great information!!

orangekid 06-03-2010 10:54 AM

fixed pic, forgot you cant attach big PNGs so i converted it to JPG, you can click on it now.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1788826)
The GPU on the iPhone 4G/HD is better than on the n1, Evo, and HD2, it's a hardware FACT. The A4 uses the samsung hummingbird CPU.

The iPhone can multitask if jailbroken, and I have had my phone, messaging, iheartradio, and facebook open while playing games and they run perfectly smooth on the 3GS, but not quite as smooth on the 3G.

Here is a chart comparing the different chips, note the next iPhone 4G/HD released this month has the same chip as the samsung galaxy, so you can use those stats.

Take a look at the GPU numbers, that's quite a difference. The snapdragon does not compare!

Huh? I would think that the EVO would have an advantage here due to the triangles per second factor. 133m pixels per second is still very good for a mobile platform. If you do the math, in a hypothetically perfect world, that's 346 frames per second capable.

22m triangles/sec is incredibly awesome. 3GS is 10m... still good, but arguably, I'd say the GPU in the Evo is more capable.

orangekid 06-03-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1788880)
Huh? I would think that the EVO would have an advantage here due to the triangles per second factor. 133m pixels per second is still very good for a mobile platform. If you do the math, in a hypothetically perfect world, that's 346 frames per second capable.

22m triangles/sec is incredibly awesome. 3GS is 10m... still good, but arguably, I'd say the GPU in the Evo is more capable.

yeah,

but you gotta admit that the iPhone 4G/HD, running the same CPU as the galaxy S is going to have SICK graphics with those stats (to the right of the snapdragon), 1000+ @ pixels per second.

redd214 06-03-2010 11:10 AM

i dont know crap about triangles and gpus but i will comment on the gaming on my incredible. i have dungeon hunter as well as nova, both from gameloft, both 3d games. i have noticed some choppy spots but its not enough to turn me off from playing them, and its barely intrusive imo. if i play for an hour it may get choppy once for a second or 2 but thats it, take it for what its worth.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1788896)
yeah,

but you gotta admit that the iPhone 4G/HD, running the same CPU as the galaxy S is going to have SICK graphics with those stats (to the right of the snapdragon), 1000+ @ pixels per second.

Yes, this is true, but again, I don't think the pixels per second is ever going to be a factor. At least not with the resolution of current screens.

The speed of the GPU is going to be an obvious improvement though.

orangekid 06-03-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1788901)
Yes, this is true, but again, I don't think the pixels per second is ever going to be a factor. At least not with the resolution of current screens.

The speed of the GPU is going to be an obvious improvement though.

plus the fact that the resolution on the iPhone 4G is 960X640. (as shown here)

Going to be sweet.

But what I love about the Evo is 4.3" screen, after being on an HD2 that iPhone 4G screen is going to seem small, plus I love me some android.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1788931)
plus the fact that the resolution on the iPhone 4G is 960X640. (as shown here)

Going to be sweet.

But what I love about the Evo is 4.3" screen, after being on an HD2 that iPhone 4G screen is going to seem small, plus I love me some android.

Yeah, that res is absolutely awesome, but it's still iPhone OS, which bums me out. Oh and it's Apple, which makes it a big no for me. It could be 1280x1024 with 1080p out and a 4.5" screen and I still wouldn't buy it.

EDIT: If it did my dishes and laundry for me, I still wouldn't buy it.

orangekid 06-03-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1788939)
Yeah, that res is absolutely awesome, but it's still iPhone OS, which bums me out. Oh and it's Apple, which makes it a big no for me. It could be 1280x1024 with 1080p out and a 4.5" screen and I still wouldn't buy it.

EDIT: If it did my dishes and laundry for me, I still wouldn't buy it.

It is what it is, I like iPhone OS for a lot of things and have no beef with apple, I'm going to get the iPhone, but I really love android (more than iPhone OS) and looking to get a nexus one as well.

brownhornet 06-03-2010 11:48 AM

Well personally I could care less about games... I had a 3gs and a ton of games that I rarely ever played unless I was SUPER bored.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 11:50 AM

Yeah if I want to play games, I usually like quick 2D puzzle games if it's on my phone. Otherwise I'll use my PSP/DS.

If I'm at home, I'll play a console. I'm never in a situation where I'm like "damn, this line at the bank is crazy, I need to get some 3D gaming in."

orangekid 06-03-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1788986)
Yeah if I want to play games, I usually like quick 2D puzzle games if it's on my phone. Otherwise I'll use my PSP/DS.

If I'm at home, I'll play a console. I'm never in a situation where I'm like "damn, this line at the bank is crazy, I need to get some 3D gaming in."

lol.

very true,

but remember it applies to video playback and streaming too.

PhyscoAssassinx 06-03-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1788826)

PLEASE STOP THE B/S As an iTouch Owner with multitasking i can say thats B/S because my iPod lags for 2 different reasons.

1. i have 5 pages of apps and i notice a lag while turning pages or opening an app.

2. when i have multiple apps running i also notice a lag with game play and other apps when there are 2 other apps open.

and my friend also notices these lags but worst and she only has 3 pages of apps and multitasking.

Cicatrize 06-03-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1789048)
lol.

very true,

but remember it applies to video playback and streaming too.

Unless it's Flash. Then it'll do it better on the Evo...mainly because the Evo actually CAN play Flash. lol

orangekid 06-03-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhyscoAssassinx (Post 1789059)
PLEASE STOP THE B/S As an iTouch Owner with multitasking i can say thats B/S because my iPod lags for 2 different reasons.

1. i have 5 pages of apps and i notice a lag while turning pages or opening an app.

2. when i have multiple apps running i also notice a lag with game play and other apps when there are 2 other apps open.

and my friend also notices these lags but worst and she only has 3 pages of apps and multitasking.

do you have a 3rg generation iTouch, and what kind of phone/ipod does your friend have. I said it lags a little on the 3G, but on 3GS backgrounder with proswitcher is pretty fast.

OS4.0 is an official OS which does have multitasking natively and does it with good battery performance. it comes out in less than a week. on the A4 1ghz it will be NO problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 1789078)
Unless it's Flash. Then it'll do it better on the Evo...mainly because the Evo actually CAN play Flash. lol

It will look better on the iPhone because of the higher resolution and better GPU, but yeah, no flash :toothy7: