PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Games run Choppy on EVO (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123351)

timgt 06-02-2010 11:05 PM

Games run Choppy on EVO

I just got my EVO today and love the thing but why does every game run choppy compared to its iphone version?

I have a ipod touch with doodle jump and paper toss so I loaded the same 2 games on the EVO and both are not very playable for me since I am used to them running smooth.

I then pulled up youtube and watched people game on the EVO and every game I saw was choppy as well.

Does the 3D drivers suck on this phone like they did on the HD2 or is this something with the snapdragon?

Do you see a fix for this coming soon? Everything else is amazing on the phone, gaming is pointless so far which stinks since the screen size is so large.

biscodude 06-02-2010 11:29 PM

Re: Games run Choppy on EVO

That's odd. I saw video on youtube of 3d games running smoothly on it the other day.

Biofall 06-02-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788344)
I just got my EVO today and love the thing but why does every game run choppy compared to its iphone version?

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788344)

I have a ipod touch with doodle jump and paper toss so I loaded the same 2 games on the EVO and both are not very playable for me since I am used to them running smooth.

I then pulled up youtube and watched people game on the EVO and every game I saw was choppy as well.

Does the 3D drivers suck on this phone like they did on the HD2 or is this something with the snapdragon?

Do you see a fix for this coming soon? Everything else is amazing on the phone, gaming is pointless so far which stinks since the screen size is so large.

Um, are the games you got actually from the android marketplace? And are they free? If you answered no to either of these quesitons then there is your problem. If the game is ported straight off the iPhone then yeah, it probably does suck.

Cause if you look at this, these games are the opposite of suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGOdAzdg_8

timgt 06-02-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biofall (Post 1788408)

Um, are the games you got actually from the android marketplace? And are they free? If you answered no to either of these quesitons then there is your problem. If the game is ported straight off the iPhone then yeah, it probably does suck.

Cause if you look at this, these games are the opposite of suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGOdAzdg_8

LOL, thats actually the video I watched. You can watch that and say those games run smooth??

I guess smooth to me and smooth to others may be a bit different. Spoiled with a gaming PC that i cant play below 60fps and nice framerate from games that run on my ipod touch.

I just don't understand if the processor is twice of an ipod why cant it do the same? I guess objective C is easier to program for then Java? I think thats what android uses as its language.

Rager02 06-02-2010 11:42 PM

i seen that video before and it seems the games on there run smooth,i will try it out friday Nova looks like a good game.

dasfool 06-02-2010 11:45 PM

If I remember correctly, the EVO does not have a dedicated GPU which would explain why some games don't run as well.

Edit: It actually does have a GPU integrated, an AMD Z430. Triangles/sec is decent on this, but the fill rate is kinda crappy compared to the SGX 535 in the iPhone 3GS.

BrianBaker 06-02-2010 11:45 PM

Everything ive downloaded from the market has run smooth..Baseball super stars,that super KO boxing game and homerun derby.

Biofall 06-02-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788420)
LOL, thats actually the video I watched. You can watch that and say those games run smooth??

Quote:

Originally Posted by timgt (Post 1788420)

I guess smooth to me and smooth to others may be a bit different. Spoiled with a gaming PC that i cant play below 60fps and nice framerate from games that run on my ipod touch.

I just don't understand if the processor is twice of an ipod why cant it do the same? I guess objective C is easier to program for then Java? I think thats what android uses as its language.

Android does use Java, but I think instead of spending that time braggin, :toothy10: you could think about how on a multiplayer fps game like that, the initial startup might have a couple of blips, but otherwise everything looked relatively smooth.

dasfool 06-03-2010 12:05 AM

What may actually be the limiting factor here is how much time/priority these companies are putting into optimizing the game to run on Android (java) from the original language. When porting to webOS it seems the SDK does it for you (or there is very little work to be done), but going to java, you have to recode a lot since the original code is C++/Objective C.

Boo Boo 06-03-2010 12:26 AM

1st cause its not an iphone