PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Lets see your speedtest results (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123060)

boredandtattooed 05-31-2010 10:37 AM

Lets see your speedtest results

Im sure alot of people wanna see the difference since EVO is suppose to be a Bad@ss..

please tell whether its a 3G or a 4G test also

champ052005 05-31-2010 10:44 AM

Re: Lets see your speedtest results

Question about speed tests.

During these tests, what acts like a bottle neck? Is it the CPU or would it be the radio? I ask this because if you were to compare the Evo with any other phone on the same wi-fi network...the Evo would be still be faster is download and upload speeds.

So I was just wondering what factors into this. My guess would be the CPU but then again I thought the CPU would only matter in opening programs up and when surfing on 3G/4G.

TheBundo 05-31-2010 11:05 AM

How do I get a screenshot with this thing? I used Shake and Save on my TP2

osva 05-31-2010 11:08 AM

shootme I think is the name.

TheBundo 05-31-2010 11:13 AM

I'm on a weak 3G and getting 980 down and 527 up. When I switch to WiFi, I get about 6000 down and 3200 up. I think I saw 11,000 down on WiFi yesterday.

jbearamus 05-31-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champ052005 (Post 1783344)

During these tests, what acts like a bottle neck? Is it the CPU or would it be the radio? I ask this because if you were to compare the Evo with any other phone on the same wi-fi network...the Evo would be still be faster is download and upload speeds.

So I was just wondering what factors into this. My guess would be the CPU but then again I thought the CPU would only matter in opening programs up and when surfing on 3G/4G.

the radio would be as illustrated by Bundo's tests. the 3G/4G connection will be slower than what the processor can handle which is why when you switch to wifi speeds go up, then that's when you see the processor bottleneck, the speeds i have below were on a Hero but connected to 15Mbps cable broadband, so you can actually see the ceiling when using high speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 1783373)
I'm on a weak 3G and getting 980 down and 527 up. When I switch to WiFi, I get about 6000 down and 3200 up. I think I saw 11,000 down on WiFi yesterday.

holy crap! that's quick, when I had the Hero on wifi it stopped at like 4 down and 1.5 up

TheBundo 05-31-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osva (Post 1783365)
shootme I think is the name.

Found it in the market, but it says it only supports rooted devices.

jbearamus 05-31-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBundo (Post 1783379)
Found it in the market, but it says it only supports rooted devices.

it's already been rooted, i just can't find instructions yet, all the web pages i've found are saying "coming soon" or "stay tuned" etc so its just a matter of time

TheBundo 05-31-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1783384)
it's already been rooted, i just can't find instructions yet, all the web pages i've found are saying "coming soon" or "stay tuned" etc so its just a matter of time

Yeah, I knew that, Just meant mine isn't and that the software requires it.

I just rebooted because I was running it hard all night trying over 100 software titles, and after the reboot, it went up to 11,886 download, but dropped to 2312 upload.

Cicatrize 05-31-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by champ052005 (Post 1783344)

Actually, during a speed test, there is no bottle neck. The CPU is going to receive the data as fast as it can get it, and that's fast, even with a 528MHz CPU.

The only difference we'll see between the Evo and other devices is web page loading speed since the CPU needs to parse out the HTML. That's where it becomes the bottleneck.