PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO,TP2,Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

searcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuffsearcher61 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EVO not the largest android screen anymore...

I think the EVO is about the biggest I need....how do you fit this in your pocket?

http://www.blog.best-mobile-contracts.co.uk/

If you want a smartphone-tablet hybrid with a 5 inch capacitive screen, look no further – Dell has just introduced the Dell Streak.

The Streak is an Android-based device touted to offer the best “on-the-go” experience thanks to its tablet abilities and smartphone size.

The 5 inch touchscreen overshadows the likes of the HTC HD2 with a mere 4.3 inch screen, and maximises onscreen enjoyment. You can access the Android Market and download various widgets, games and apps – and the Streak comes with a fair few to begin with.

For social networking ease, there are apps for Twitter, Facebook and YouTube; and for more practical moments, there is the Google Maps app with full turn-by-turn navigation. And the size of the screen means everything is that bit clearer and easier, both to see and to navigate. The screen supports multi-touch so you can zoom in on images by simply pinching your fingers together.

Communication is supported by 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, and options include email, text messaging and instant messaging. You can take photos and make videos on the Dell Streak’s 5-megapixel camera with LED flash, and then upload onto social networking sites directly. The Streak will support Adobe Flash 10.1 on Android 2.2 OS later this year, so streaming videos onto the device should be a doddle.

And the whole experience is swift as a result of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 1GHz processor, also found in the Google Nexus One phone.

In the company’s press release, Ron Garriques, president of Dell Communication Solutions Group, said: “The Dell Streak hits the sweet spot between traditional smartphones and larger-screen tablets. Its unique size provides people new ways to enjoy, connect, and navigate their lives.”

Comparisons have already been made to Apple’s iPad, with some referring to the Streak as a mini version of this device. The benefit of the Streak is its portable size, measuring 152 x 79 x 10mm and weighing 220g – although that is quite a lot heavier than most smartphones. The HD2 weighs 157g and the Motorola Milestone weighs 165g, for example.

However, the Streak is all about the larger touchscreen.

Dell states in its press release: On-the-go students, mobile professionals, and active families will find Streak’s web-browsing capabilities as natural as a laptop. The 5-inch screen is large enough to present Web pages in their natural form, create a comfortable viewing experience, and make turn-by-turn navigation simple and safe. The Dell Streak leverages Qualcomm’s Snapdragon solution with integrated 1GHz processor to combine basic functionality, performance, and benefits of a laptop in a pocket friendly size.

Expected to be available in June from O2, we’ll bring you Dell Streak deals once the pricing and plans have been announced. In the meantime, you can read our Dell Streak reviews to discover more about this new device.

Tags: Android, Android 2.2, Apple, Dell, Dell-Streak, Google, Google-Nexus-One, HTC-HD2, iPad, Motorola-DROID, Streak
Posted in Dell Phones | 0 Comments and 0 Reactions
Android Froyo HighlightsMay 25th, 2010
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond - CDMA

mmmdieselfumes is just getting started
Re: EVO not the largest android screen anymore...

To me there is no niche. I have my smart phone (and will soon have the EVO for my first android powered smart phone), and I have my laptop. Why would I want another android device that can't fit in my pocket, yet can't do all the things I do with my laptop that can't be done on my phone?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Hex
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Hex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHex is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHex is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to Hex Send a message via AIM to Hex Send a message via MSN to Hex Send a message via Yahoo to Hex
Wirelessly posted (Sprint HTC Touch Pro: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

but is it capable of making phone calls or is it just a web device like the ipad?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dumbphone - Vogue - Touch Pro - Touch Pro 2 - Evo

Meanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMeanee is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Saw the device on bunch of sites earlier. While nice and all, I just don't think it's something I want to be carrying around. This thing sits between ipad and evo in terms of size and is just too big for everyday use and carrying with you.

On a side note, are there any apps that take full advantage of that screen?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: NeXus S 4G

Rager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on repRager02 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I do not see how this is related to the Evo other than it being larger compared to the evo if that even counts?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdieselfumes View Post
To me there is no niche. I have my smart phone (and will soon have the EVO for my first android powered smart phone), and I have my laptop. Why would I want another android device that can't fit in my pocket, yet can't do all the things I do with my laptop that can't be done on my phone?
Precisely the same reason why I'm not interested, and also why I think the iPad is the biggest waste of consumer money on the market.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well if we're counting web enabled non phone devices, dell isn't even close to first.
Archos launched the Archos 5 Internet Media Tablet that has the same 5 in screen and android but it launched last october.
they've also started shipping the Archos 7 IMT, same thing but 7 in. screen

and they can't really compare the streak to the evo because the streak isn't a phone. two different devices with two different target markets

Last edited by jbearamus; 05-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: OMG = EVO 3D

ubigred is becoming a great contributor

5" will be the limit on mobile phones. I want this on Sprint.

^ Replace Tmo Wing with Sprint 700 Palm
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

And the EVO is where I draw the line....

Last edited by BRIVERS73; 05-25-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: OMG = EVO 3D

ubigred is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIVERS73 View Post
And this is where I draw the line....
Meaning you would buy it ? or no , way too big?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G