PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:46 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint

CFdragon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone know what Messaging Capabilities will be Re: MMS/Video/Picture Mail?

I was just wondering what messaging capabilities the EVO will have? I've had my Vogue from day 1...I've run every Rom you can imagine on it and I have always been disappointed with Sprint's MMS software and it's limitations. I love the work done by SomeGuy and his sMMS software which really made picture mail bearable on the Touch...but with Blinding fast Wimax, a 1G processor and an 8mp camera I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on whether the EVO will be able to send and receive video mail easily without someone having to come up with a work-around.

I know Sprint's messaging system has it's shortcomings, but I would love to be able to use the full potential of this phone
Old 05-02-2010, 05:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started
Re: Anyone know what Messaging Capabilities will be Re: MMS/Video/Picture Mail?

dude what you are talking about? You have a vogue? The evo will be running android os on it. Even the crappiest android phone BLOWS AWAY wm and iphone. Do some research into android messaing on sprint
Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Newsie and More
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Ticklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuff

now to give a better answer ^ LOL j/k but like he said Android is really good when it comes to mms sending and receiving and not does it have a great built-in one it has many different ones in the marketplace, one I like is handcent sms, you can view .gif files and everything. Basically thats one thing you won't have to worry about when it comes to the EVo or android
Old 05-03-2010, 04:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

drexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuffdrexappeal knows their stuff

At the risk of having my head takin' off for asking this question...lol...Are you telling me that I don't have to worry about the crappy Sprint Picture Mail that I had to use on my WinMo Touch Pro?

I'm just wondering, based on the different apps available for MMS, do any of them allow for threaded text replies that can respond immediately (just like regular text messages)?
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Newsie and More

Ticklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexappeal View Post
At the risk of having my head takin' off for asking this question...lol...Are you telling me that I don't have to worry about the crappy Sprint Picture Mail that I had to use on my WinMo Touch Pro?

I'm just wondering, based on the different apps available for MMS, do any of them allow for threaded text replies that can respond immediately (just like regular text messages)?
RAWR!!!! lol naw playin...to answer both no you don;t have to worry about the sucky ass pic mail we're all use to on wm, android does it so much better, like you dont have to click a link to see the pic, its already there in threaded messaging....and yes to your second question, handcent, the one i already mentioned, has different style layouts, one that looks like regular threaded android, one that looks like iPhone with the bubbles and a few more...i really enjoyed the os when i had it..just needed the right fone...now i think i'm gettin it with the evo!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint... wtf is this required?!

willpower101 is just getting started

haha, sorry, I'd been up for 24 hours studying for several different finals. I sounded like the dell guy on crack... DUDE!!!! lol.

Yeah, android takes care of ALL this for you. I just thought everyone knew about android's gooey core of awesomeness. Threaded sms is default without third party progs. Third party plugs are so customizable it will blow your mind!
  • You want grandma to send a text message that has a different sound than your gf than the default message? Set individual tones for all of them.
  • You have all your contacts loaded up into gmail and correctly formatted? Then they're at your disposal for multi-texintg.
  • You don't? Load up excel and merge in data from your old phone and upload it to google.
  • You want to store the phone numbers and email addresses of 25 different people from your engineering project team at school? No problem, load them up and then format them into a group in gmail contacts. Then when you send a text you can select group and it will instantly go to all of them.
  • But wait, charlie only replies to email, and chris to text, while you never know which device cathy will be on (google voice, cell phone, work phone, email, aim, skype): So you load up a new message, find charlie and select his email, select chris and his cell number, and select cathy and choose all her contact methods. Type your message and hit send and you've just used one message to contact people on about 4 different messaging protocols!
  • Oh wait, but you want to send a MMS or a picture mail right? Sure, don't even load up a separate program, just browse for your picture and send it. Within the same message you can direct the picture mail to be sent to both an email address via smtp and to a cell phone over MMS.
  • Also as soon as you take a picture or video, or browse to either, you can click the send button. A context menu pops up: (mine says) share via:: bluetooth, facebook, flickr, gmail, messages, peep, twitteroid, seesmic, youtube. This context menu !updates itself! whenever you download and add any new messaging apps.

This is just the messaging system in android, don't get me started on how awesome the other systems are. Also don't get me started on how everyone should avoid the underpowered droid, hero, or eris like the plague. There is absolutely NO reason to use your 2 year subsidized price on it.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker

JeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJeffKay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Download Handcent SMS for Anrdoid. It's free and a great app. I had a Samsung Moment for a month, that app rocked.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
...This is just the messaging system in android, don't get me started on how awesome the other systems are. Also don't get me started on how everyone should avoid the underpowered droid, hero, or eris like the plague. There is absolutely NO reason to use your 2 year subsidized price on it.
I'm going to have to agree. the first gen androids were good for bringing a name to android but now that android wants to be a major competitor they have to end fragmentation. those low end androids are holding us back from getting the full potential from developers, once we have a standard resolution and minimum processor speed we will have iphone type games as well as better and upgraded apps.
Google is the next skynet
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Tectronus is keeping up the good workTectronus is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
haha, sorry, I'd been up for 24 hours studying for several different finals. I sounded like the dell guy on crack... DUDE!!!! lol.

Yeah, android takes care of ALL this for you. I just thought everyone knew about android's gooey core of awesomeness. Threaded sms is default without third party progs. Third party plugs are so customizable it will blow your mind!
  • You want grandma to send a text message that has a different sound than your gf than the default message? Set individual tones for all of them.
  • You have all your contacts loaded up into gmail and correctly formatted? Then they're at your disposal for multi-texintg.
  • You don't? Load up excel and merge in data from your old phone and upload it to google.
  • You want to store the phone numbers and email addresses of 25 different people from your engineering project team at school? No problem, load them up and then format them into a group in gmail contacts. Then when you send a text you can select group and it will instantly go to all of them.
  • But wait, charlie only replies to email, and chris to text, while you never know which device cathy will be on (google voice, cell phone, work phone, email, aim, skype): So you load up a new message, find charlie and select his email, select chris and his cell number, and select cathy and choose all her contact methods. Type your message and hit send and you've just used one message to contact people on about 4 different messaging protocols!
  • Oh wait, but you want to send a MMS or a picture mail right? Sure, don't even load up a separate program, just browse for your picture and send it. Within the same message you can direct the picture mail to be sent to both an email address via smtp and to a cell phone over MMS.
  • Also as soon as you take a picture or video, or browse to either, you can click the send button. A context menu pops up: (mine says) share via:: bluetooth, facebook, flickr, gmail, messages, peep, twitteroid, seesmic, youtube. This context menu !updates itself! whenever you download and add any new messaging apps.

This is just the messaging system in android, don't get me started on how awesome the other systems are. Also don't get me started on how everyone should avoid the underpowered droid, hero, or eris like the plague. There is absolutely NO reason to use your 2 year subsidized price on it.
Now thats a good answer!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

What about IM. Does it natively support Yahoo, Live, AOL, Facebook, etc. without requiring a paid 3rd part app?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G