PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Evo 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Who here is waiting on the EVO v2 with a keyboard and better specs? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117422)

SweetBearCub 04-08-2010 02:22 PM

Who here is waiting on the EVO v2 with a keyboard and better specs?

While the EVO is certainly a gorgeous device (and my inner nerd wants it NOW!), who here is going to hold off a bit and wait for version 2 with a hardware keyboard similar to the Touch Pro 2, a tilting screen, a 1.5 Ghz Snapdragon processor, and possibly other desirable upgrades?

bionic1ball 04-08-2010 02:29 PM

Re: Who here is waiting on the EVO v2 with a keyboard and better specs?

Yeah probably 1080p in the evo2 :]

mardukeme 04-08-2010 02:31 PM

I'll probably wait for a version with a keyboard, but I know myself once I get to play with one I'll want to have it, so will see.

bionic1ball 04-08-2010 02:38 PM

Yeah I would like the keyboard also but the Evo has A capacitive multi-touch screen making it great to play games on and I'm getting really good with swype

drexappeal 04-08-2010 03:30 PM

I normally would wait for one with a keyboard, but considering the size, not sure I'd prefer that over the EVO (despite having two different phones with a qwerty for the past 3-4 years).

The specs are just too good to pass up on and if I end up liking it, without the qwerty, I may stick with a full touchscreen device from this point on. Best part of all of it is being a Sprint Permiere Customer, which means I can upgrade in a year and still be able to sell the EVO for a decent price.

drksilenc 04-08-2010 03:45 PM

prbly just still in your dreams for the simple fact that they have made 1 android phone with a keyboard and it didnt sell well at all.
yet the ones without sold alot better.
there is a difference between a wm and a android phone. wm is more buisness where as android is for the masses

BooDaddy 04-08-2010 03:52 PM

Im waiting for one to come out that will work on SERO... :)
Sorry had to do that.

drksilenc 04-08-2010 03:57 PM

o and for those that want a keyboard
http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Pro-Bl.../dp/B0030IT6AO
and
http://www.teksoftco.com/index.php?s...ueinputandroid
for drivers.
there you go keyboard on your evo

rshyffer 04-08-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drksilenc (Post 1688271)
prbly just still in your dreams for the simple fact that they have made 1 android phone with a keyboard and it didnt sell well at all.
yet the ones without sold alot better.
there is a difference between a wm and a android phone. wm is more buisness where as android is for the masses

I thinik Motorolla/Verizon would beg to differ, the Droid has sold pretty well and it has a keyboard.

brownhornet 04-08-2010 04:15 PM

Well im not waiting... and I switched from a touch pro 2 and could care less about a keyboard.

tool2269 04-08-2010 04:23 PM

EVO with a keyboard? My tp2 is already big enough. I cant imagine the size of the EVO with a keyboard attached.

plus now that I have swype on the tp2, I hardly find the need for the keyboard anymore

Biggzz 04-08-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1688092)
While the EVO is certainly a gorgeous device (and my inner nerd wants it NOW!), who here is going to hold off a bit and wait for version 2 with a hardware keyboard similar to the Touch Pro 2, a tilting screen, a 1.5 Ghz Snapdragon processor, and possibly other desirable upgrades?

The screen is ginormous. I need no keyboard and besides I am not waiting.:headbang:

PhyscoAssassinx 04-08-2010 06:56 PM

if i feel like i need a keyboard ill just transfer the service back to my TP2 and vice versa

piscesjoey 04-08-2010 07:16 PM

Ya'll must haven't played with a HD2 yet to see how super easy and accurate it is to type on that big screen, let alone using Swype on it.

SweetBearCub 04-08-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BALiens (Post 1688657)
Ya'll must haven't played with a HD2 yet to see how super easy and accurate it is to type on that big screen, let alone using Swype on it.

That's as maybe but I simply do not wish to type with an on-screen keyboard as my only decent option. I enjoy having a more than decent hardware keyboard available when I want it, and unlike a BT keyboard, it's not a seperate device I have to remember to charge and not forget it at home. The integrated hardware keyboard is always with me and always available, which is a very nice option to have.

For those that do not mind using an on-screen keyboard, great. EVO v1 is for you, and I hope you enjoy the crap out of it. Personally, I'll wait on v2 with a hardware keyboard.

deseagle07 04-08-2010 07:29 PM

yall crazy for wanting a hardware keyboard, yall drink toooo much coffee and it got yall hands shaking bad enough to not push accurately on an onscreen keyboard, lol

davidetkin511 04-08-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetBearCub (Post 1688678)
That's as maybe but I simply do not wish to type with an on-screen keyboard as my only decent option. I enjoy having a more than decent hardware keyboard available when I want it, and unlike a BT keyboard, it's not a seperate device I have to remember to charge and not forget it at home. The integrated hardware keyboard is always with me and always available, which is a very nice option to have.

For those that do not mind using an on-screen keyboard, great. EVO v1 is for you, and I hope you enjoy the crap out of it. Personally, I'll wait on v2 with a hardware keyboard.

how do you know there will be a version 2? if there is i doubt it will have a keyboard, most of the new touch phones being made are all touch.

its not like the tp1 didnt have a keyboard and the tp2 did
if the device doesnt have a keyboard on v1 most likely it never will

SweetBearCub 04-08-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidetkin511 (Post 1688730)
how do you know there will be a version 2? if there is i doubt it will have a keyboard, most of the new touch phones being made are all touch.

its not like the tp1 didnt have a keyboard and the tp2 did
if the device doesnt have a keyboard on v1 most likely it never will

I have no way of knowing that there will be a v2.

However, I do believe that there will eventually be a version with a keyboard, as HTC is not known to exclusively make touch only devices. The G1, the first Android handset, had a keyboard. The 6600, 6700, 6800, Touch Pro, and Touch Pro 2 had a keyboard. Numerous other HTC devices that I cannot specifically recall all have a keyboard. With each hardware iteration, HTC becomes better and better at designing usable keyboards.

I highly doubt they will simply shelve that expertise and leave that market un-served.

yougivemerash!!! 04-08-2010 09:16 PM

Everything is moving towards touchscreen. It's not just a fad, it's here to stay. A device like this is NOT going to be released with a keyboard IMO.

Want a tactile feel? They're just going to add haptic feedback to it. Haptic technology will keep improving, and we'll see less and less physical keypads.

In a few years, we'll probably have sliders with dual screens- one to serve as the keyboard with haptic feedback- that's where I predict it will go. :mrgreen:

losplatanos 04-08-2010 10:42 PM

well the device is not even out yet, lol wow, from being with sprint a while, at end of the year something will come out to replace the tp2 that should be the next big thing most likely the screen wont be as big because of the extra hardware it will very heavy but the tp2 only needs 4 things to be perfect....a flash, better camera, and better processor and ram.......thats how it been with the ppc 6700 , 6800, tp1, tp3 etc........touch, diamond, etc

x10guy 04-09-2010 12:15 AM

Better specs? What phone are you currently using?

Nothing wrong with dreaming, but boy you have high expectations. lol. The specs of the Evo really leaves everything in the dust.

iknight8 04-09-2010 12:56 AM

EVO didnt even come out yet... wheres the news about Evo 2?
Thanx

SweetBearCub 04-09-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iknight8 (Post 1689184)
EVO didnt even come out yet... wheres the news about Evo 2?
Thanx

I never said that I heard anything about an EVO 2, I'm just summing up the specs I hope to see if it ever does ship, as HTC usually almost always releases a phone with a hardware keyboard later. By the time they do, the technology may have improved.

jethro_static 04-09-2010 01:15 AM

Scorpion is rumored to have 1.5Ghz snapdragon. Who's gonna ask about waiting for the HTC Scorpion2 with keyboard and 100MP camera?

BlackDynamite 04-09-2010 01:21 AM

I also want a keyboard. Even if HTC doesn't make a device with a keyboard, we know someone else will.

Motorola had the hottest sellign smartphone in the USA not named iPhone, and it had a keyboard, so we know devices with keyboards can and will sell.

Motorola is also rumored ot be working on a Nexus 2 that has a keyboard, so we'll have a keyboard superphone eventually.

x10guy 04-09-2010 04:08 AM

Besides the keyboard what else are you looking to upgrade? The device is already loaded. Of course it's not perfect but I can't think of another smart phone that will be out this summer that matches it.

Technolgy will always be advancing. Won't you be asking the same thing when the so-called Evo2 comes out?

SweetBearCub 04-09-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x10guy (Post 1689352)
Besides the keyboard what else are you looking to upgrade? The device is already loaded. Of course it's not perfect but I can't think of another smart phone that will be out this summer that matches it.

Technolgy will always be advancing. Won't you be asking the same thing when the so-called Evo2 comes out?

Besides the keyboard? Well, the 1.5 Ghz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon was announced not too long ago, and doubling the RAM to 1 GB would be awesome. Of course, I could just be dreaming - But hey, dreams are the genesis of all this neat tech we love so much :-)

MikeElGiga23 04-09-2010 07:50 AM

Question. What makes you think the EVO2 will have a keyboard?? If its gonna be the succesor of this beastly device, i can almost guarantee that it wont have a keyboard since the EVO line isnt supposed to have one. You will need HTC to make a new line of smartphones that has a landscape KB, senseUI and 4G.... And it looks like its isnt even in their playbook just yet so you will be waiting for a good while...

why Not get the EVO now (YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO) and get this other device when it arrives?

Pao 04-09-2010 09:04 AM

Not a chance. I have a keyboard now and I use it less and less as time goes on....and I have a tiny screen. I'm really starting to see how easy life is without the keyboard, and how unneeded it is.

Put me on a 4.3" screen and I'm going to be gravy.

bgeezy723 04-09-2010 09:26 AM

I was all ready for a touch screen only phone as I was sick of my Touch Pro 1's physical keyboard breaking all the time. I even bought an iPod touch to temporarily satisfy my hunger and get ready for the eventual announcement that the HD2 was coming to Sprint - which never happened. So I ended up getting a TP2, and my oh my. This is the best physical keyboard ever made and I absolutely love it.

Now that being said, I'm very excited about the EVO. I'm pretty sure I can do without the physical keyboard. I'm in an interesting position though in that I don't get my full $150 upgrade until September. That means that - if rumors are correct and the EVO ships in June - I'll have 3 months to wait and see if anything new gets announced, like say the Touch Pro 3. I'm kind of crossing my fingers that something newer gets announced, but then again I know that I really want the EVO. I'm really ready to make the jump to Android too as I'm not that excited about WM7, which is most likely what the TP3 would come loaded with. Sigh...

tokuzumi 04-09-2010 10:32 AM

While it would be nice to have a pimped out keyboard, like the TP2, I think the bulkiness of the device would turn a lot of people off. I'm sure HTC could come up with something that is slim, like the Droid, but without that stupidly huge d-pad that takes up a 1/4 of the real estate.

Since I'm used to the software keyboard on my hero, the EVO will only be that much better for me. I just hope the stock keyboard is multi-touch...the hero keyboard isn't :(

davidetkin511 04-09-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike20PR (Post 1689417)
Question. What makes you think the EVO2 will have a keyboard?? If its gonna be the succesor of this beastly device, i can almost guarantee that it wont have a keyboard since the EVO line isnt supposed to have one. You will need HTC to make a new line of smartphones that has a landscape KB, senseUI and 4G.... And it looks like its isnt even in their playbook just yet so you will be waiting for a good while...

why Not get the EVO now (YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO) and get this other device when it arrives?

+1 :D :headbang::headbang:

redd214 04-09-2010 01:01 PM

lol, wow you guys are really arguing over the internet about the name of a phone thats not even out yet :angry7:

racemepls 04-09-2010 01:06 PM

I'm might just wait for the HD3. It's just amazing how these phones are evolving this year. You have to be rich to keep up and believe me I'm trying. I've spent too much in the past year on my habit.

TP - 350
TP2 - 600
HD2 - 450
EVO - ?
HD3 - ?

All of these in little over a year. My fiancee is getting fed up! HTC is going to break up my family.

tokuzumi 04-09-2010 01:32 PM

It will be curious to see what Google decides to name this thing, whether it be Nexus 2, Nexus Pro, Nexus ^2 (squared).....on a tangent, I like Nexus Squared. The Nexus One has almost become a brand name. If/When Google makes a successor to the N1 (keyboard-less, candy bar device...I would consider a Google phone with a keyboard to be a separate phone, altogether), will they change the name to something other than Nexus One?

drexappeal 04-09-2010 01:54 PM

Interesting info about the Nexus 2, Nexus Enterprise, or whatever the heck the name will be. I'm figuring the phone won't be out for quite some time and there's no telling for sure that'll be avaiable on Sprint. I'm jumping on the EVO bandwagon for sure. If something else comes out that I might like better in the long run, I'll upgrade again in a year.

tokuzumi 04-09-2010 03:17 PM

I was curious on the ratio of keyboard/non-keyboard android devices, so I did a little digging. I tried to remove phones from this list (source Droid Dog: http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...d-device-list/) that were either killed off, or have not been released yet (such as evo, legend, desire, etc), but if I made an error here, please correct. These are available right now, but not limited to the US.

Acer Liquid A1 - No keyboard
Acer Liquid E - No keyboard
Alcatel OT-980 - keyboard
Dell Ophone mini3i - No keyboard
Gigabyte GSmart - No keyboard
Google / HTC Nexus One - No keyboard
HTC Desire / Bravo / Passion / Dragon - No keyboard
HTC Dream / T-Mobile G1 with Google - Keyboard
HTC Eris (Verizon’s Hero) - No keyboard
HTC Hero / G2 Touch - No keyboard
HTC Magic / T-Mobile myTouch 3G with Google / Ion / Sapphire - No keyboard
HTC Tattoo / Click / Fiesta - No keyboard
Huawei T-Mobile Pulse Mini - No keyboard
Motorola Android Quench / Cliq XT / Zepplin - No keyboard
Motorola Backflip - Keyboard
Motorola Droid / Sholes / Tao / A855 - Keyboard
Motorola i1 / Opus One - No keyboard
Motorola Morrison / Cliq / Dext - Keyboard
Motorola MOTOROI / XT720 - No keyboard
Motorola MT710 - No keyboard
Samsung Behold II - No keyboard
Samsung Galaxy / i7500 - No keyboard
Samsung Moment - Keyboard
Samsung SHW-M100S - No keyboard
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X3 / X10 / Infinity - Keyboard

In summary,
18 without keyboards (17, if you combine the Eris with the Hero, which would be reasonable)
7 with keyboards

brownhornet 04-09-2010 03:21 PM

man either way you look at it qwerty will soon be a thing of the past. They'll probably put out like 1 phone with a qwerty just to suffice those that just have to have it... but companies are looking at the fact that the iphone is the best selling phone period without one and are following suit.

brownhornet 04-09-2010 03:22 PM

rofl this guy is always good for a laugh if nothing else

BlackDynamite 04-09-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1690149)
I was curious on the ratio of keyboard/non-keyboard android devices, so I did a little digging. I tried to remove phones from this list (source Droid Dog: http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog...d-device-list/) that were either killed off, or have not been released yet (such as evo, legend, desire, etc), but if I made an error here, please correct. These are available right now, but not limited to the US.

Acer Liquid A1 - No keyboard
Acer Liquid E - No keyboard
Alcatel OT-980 - keyboard
Dell Ophone mini3i - No keyboard
Gigabyte GSmart - No keyboard
Google / HTC Nexus One - No keyboard
HTC Desire / Bravo / Passion / Dragon - No keyboard
HTC Dream / T-Mobile G1 with Google - Keyboard
HTC Eris (Verizon’s Hero) - No keyboard
HTC Hero / G2 Touch - No keyboard
HTC Magic / T-Mobile myTouch 3G with Google / Ion / Sapphire - No keyboard
HTC Tattoo / Click / Fiesta - No keyboard
Huawei T-Mobile Pulse Mini - No keyboard
Motorola Android Quench / Cliq XT / Zepplin - No keyboard
Motorola Backflip - Keyboard
Motorola Droid / Sholes / Tao / A855 - Keyboard
Motorola i1 / Opus One - No keyboard
Motorola Morrison / Cliq / Dext - Keyboard
Motorola MOTOROI / XT720 - No keyboard
Motorola MT710 - No keyboard
Samsung Behold II - No keyboard
Samsung Galaxy / i7500 - No keyboard
Samsung Moment - Keyboard
Samsung SHW-M100S - No keyboard
Sony Ericsson XPERIA X3 / X10 / Infinity - Keyboard

In summary,
18 without keyboards (17, if you combine the Eris with the Hero, which would be reasonable)
7 with keyboards

Well we're only concerned with phones available in the USA. The only reason it was brought up was because p-slim said if we wanted a keyboard we would have to settle for a device someone tells us to use, and there were twice as many non keyboards as keyboard devices being offered by the carriers (and he specifically listed Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile). I just pointed out that it was wrong, and there are plenty of choices for those of us that want a keyboard- even more than non keyboards.

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea what's available in North Korea or wherever. But as far as right here in the USA, there are plenty of keyboard choices if you look at other companies besides HTC.