PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131
3G Speeds CDMA Only vs CDMA/LTE

I just did some speed tests, and then was researching ELTE speed test results and came across this little oddity; some people are getting faster 3G speeds with CDMA/LTE mode on instead of CDMA only. If it is true it could explain why Sprint shipped it with LTE on by default instead of CDMA only like (I heard) the Galaxy Nexus comes shipped.

I saw on the Web the improved performance is due to usage of "eHRPD" which I won't begin to pretend to understand lol.

One person over at Sprint 4G roll out forum (http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/66.../page__st__600) had this theory:

"eHRPD uses the same airlink and backhaul as EV-DO but uses the LTE core network instead of the EV-DO core network. If the airlink and backhaul are the same but eHRPD produces significantly higher data speeds than does EV-DO, then the LTE or EV-DO core network is the primary independent variable, hence likely responsible for the observed differences."

Again, I don't really know how all this works but was curious about you guy's experience/knowledge.

Below are my depressing speed tests, the result at the bottom and top 2 are CDMA only. The 3 in the middle or CDMA/LTE.

Positive Vibrations
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1340125650584.jpg (9.1 KB, 78 views) Click for barcode!

Check out my blog: http://brownhandstech.blogspot.com
Old 06-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain
Here is a link to a topic i started... You can use it to see if any of the towers near you have already or will soon be upgraded.... I found one about 2 miles from my house. I got about 2mb down.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150370

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

Turbopowr is a n00b
Re: 3G Speeds CDMA Only vs CDMA/LTE

I tried running some download speeds in both modes and didn't see any difference, but did notice that I'm getting better 3G speeds than I've ever seen before. Here are my results that I posted in jimmiekain's "How to find Sprint Towers" thread:

I just ran 6 tests while sitting here at work in Orlando (Sandlake Road/Florida Mall area) and got the highest 3G speeds I've ever seen.

First three were CDMA only:
kb up/ kb down
2283/694
1933/732
2185/795

Next three were LTE/CDMA:

kb up/ kb down
2299/762
2208/738
1746/806

In the past, I would get download speeds between 700kb-1500kb. This is with about 5 out of 6 bars for signal strength. It looks like some improvements have been made around here. I'll try to test 3G in other parts of Orlando and see if I also notice improvements.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: SERO Premium

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work

I read on a post that Sprint LTE will still be slower than others like Verizon or ATT LTE.

Is this true?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Almost a VIP

chong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good workchong67 is keeping up the good work

Well I just google it and sad to say it is true. But Sprint still has lower price compare to others.

Exclusive: Testing Sprint's New 4G LTE Network | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Almost a VIP

PCMag tested the LTE in Atlanta last week. Does that mean it is coming this month? Its time for me to shop for a Evo 4G LTE.

But slow is still better than dial up modem or 3G speed.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain

@chong67 Sprint said it would launch in the middle of 2012... July 1 official starts the end of the middle. My guess (and hope) is they will flip the switch in the next couple of days and a few cities here and there will have LTE.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Threadstarter

princem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularprincem131 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to princem131 Send a message via Yahoo to princem131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopowr View Post
I tried running some download speeds in both modes and didn't see any difference, but did notice that I'm getting better 3G speeds than I've ever seen before. Here are my results that I posted in jimmiekain's "How to find Sprint Towers" thread:

I just ran 6 tests while sitting here at work in Orlando (Sandlake Road/Florida Mall area) and got the highest 3G speeds I've ever seen.

First three were CDMA only:
kb up/ kb down
2283/694
1933/732
2185/795

Next three were LTE/CDMA:

kb up/ kb down
2299/762
2208/738
1746/806

In the past, I would get download speeds between 700kb-1500kb. This is with about 5 out of 6 bars for signal strength. It looks like some improvements have been made around here. I'll try to test 3G in other parts of Orlando and see if I also notice improvements.
I would think if there is any difference it must only be in select markets where Sprint has been working on Network Vision and enabled this eHRPD functionality... Idk but yeah wow wish I was getting those speeds.

Positive Vibrations
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Almost a VIP

I think I ask this before so I ask to confirm, you cant use 4G on LTE right?

Someone said this:

The phone does not include a WiMax radio to utilize Sprint's previous "4G" technology, so essentially you're stuck on 3G until Sprint's network starts rolling out next year.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
I think I ask this before so I ask to confirm, you cant use 4G on LTE right?

Someone said this:

The phone does not include a WiMax radio to utilize Sprint's previous "4G" technology, so essentially you're stuck on 3G until Sprint's network starts rolling out next year.
when u say 4G I assume u mean wimax....no, the ELTE has no wimax....btw, LTE is 4G too

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G LTE