PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

shaned197 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Plantronics power supply

Just got my evo and my dad has a plantronics power supply that goes from wall to micro usb. It has an output of 5 volts at 180 amps, is this safe to use with the evo? I know that regular usb to micro usb use the same voltage but wanted to check the amps a and ask the evo community!!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul

pgh1969pa is a n00b
Re: Plantronics power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaned197 View Post
Just got my evo and my dad has a plantronics power supply that goes from wall to micro usb. It has an output of 5 volts at 180 amps, is this safe to use with the evo? I know that regular usb to micro usb use the same voltage but wanted to check the amps a and ask the evo community!!
Safe...yes. Effective...no. 180mA isn't enough current for the Evo. Your post says 180A which I'm certain is a mistake. Most likely it would would not charge your phone. It won't damage it either.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer

I can confirm that Plantronics wall chargers do not work. You phone will detect the charger when plugged in, and it will show that it is charging for all of 2-3 seconds. Then it was go back to battery power, and the charging LED indicator will turn off.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 PM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Aw that sucks. I just noticed earlier that the two used the same charger and got excited about it....oh well

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Stick with OEM chargers....they will do the best job possible for your phone. Buying a China made Ebay charger may work, it may not but 9/10 times it wont. The Evo for instance is very picky to what it wants for power...and if you try hooking up a motorola charger to it...it may just sit there and do nothing...same applies to no name brand chargers. Your best bet is to pay a few extra dollars and get someting that you know will work correctly. I have always been one to buy OEM chargers and cases...why? Because I know they were built for the specific phone or phones...and that if something happens I can call that said Manufature and tell them their own product caused damage to my phone or electronic. This will save your ass more than you think when it comes to getting warranty stuff done on phones. You call and tell them your China made off brand charger fried your phone...they may just laugh at you and tell you to buzz off since they don't warranty damage from non branded (OEM) stuff.

Just a word of advice....just trying to save any of you from heartaches and bitching.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

I tried the Plantronics one the first day I had the phone just to see. I do use my BB car charger all the time though and it works perfectly.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH09 View Post
Stick with OEM chargers....they will do the best job possible for your phone. Buying a China made Ebay charger may work, it may not but 9/10 times it wont. The Evo for instance is very picky to what it wants for power...and if you try hooking up a motorola charger to it...it may just sit there and do nothing...same applies to no name brand chargers. Your best bet is to pay a few extra dollars and get someting that you know will work correctly. I have always been one to buy OEM chargers and cases...why? Because I know they were built for the specific phone or phones...and that if something happens I can call that said Manufature and tell them their own product caused damage to my phone or electronic. This will save your ass more than you think when it comes to getting warranty stuff done on phones. You call and tell them your China made off brand charger fried your phone...they may just laugh at you and tell you to buzz off since they don't warranty damage from non branded (OEM) stuff.

Just a word of advice....just trying to save any of you from heartaches and bitching.
This quote seem to fit 63% of all statistics are made up. 9/10 times they won't work? Seriously? Very Picky? Really? What is all of this based on? Have you bought that many chargers and they all failed? Have you tried different power sources and some didn't work?

In general, with USB charged devices, unless they like trickle charges, if it is anything less than 500mah then the device wont charge/recognize the power source. Should always shoot for the 1000mah though.

I don't doubt your logic on sticking with OEM branded stuff to protect you warranty wise, but everything else.... really?
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Big Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig Redneck3100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Redneck3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
This quote seem to fit 63% of all statistics are made up. 9/10 times they won't work? Seriously? Very Picky? Really? What is all of this based on? Have you bought that many chargers and they all failed? Have you tried different power sources and some didn't work?

In general, with USB charged devices, unless they like trickle charges, if it is anything less than 500mah then the device wont charge/recognize the power source. Should always shoot for the 1000mah though.

I don't doubt your logic on sticking with OEM branded stuff to protect you warranty wise, but everything else.... really?
Dude..don't shoot the man down....he's got a very valid point an unless you've tried i yourself try to be a little more tactful in your responses bro......most electronics now are very sensitive to the input voltage and mA they need....

When life gives you lemons...find someone whos life gave them tequilla and have a party!!!!

If I've helped you in any way, please hit the button, I surely appreciate it!!!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Redneck3100 View Post
Dude..don't shoot the man down....he's got a very valid point an unless you've tried i yourself try to be a little more tactful in your responses bro......most electronics now are very sensitive to the input voltage and mA they need....
I'm not shooting him, I'm challenging his made up statistics.

For the record I've tried it. I buy the China made no-name brand converters in bulk. I bought 10 the first, and 20 the second time. For myself (I travel and lose these things all the time) and for my family. Of the ones I have left, they all work.

I'm sure they all come from the same crappy factory that the OEM branded chargers/power converters come from.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Rooted Stock ROM

sanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsanjsrik is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The iGo works well for the wall charger, the tip to get is A97. I bought one of these in a pinch and it does work as advertised.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > HTC Evo 4G Accessories