PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint PCS

toddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO3D Tips & Tricks

Fyi, you have to have Handcent installed as your Text Message Program for the Camera Button to work that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochawhitey View Post
Lol yeah I tried it too couldn't get it to work

Hitting Thanks (to the right) helps build reputation. Hit it, if I did it!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 PM
I BLEED GREEN!!
Pocket PC: treo 700wx>mogul>touchpro>touchpro2>Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

lnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to lnando84

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpedersen View Post
Fyi, you have to have Handcent installed as your Text Message Program for the Camera Button to work that way.
Not true, I don't have Handcent installed and my camera button works fine! try pressing and holding the button down for a second..my camera always opens regardless of what screen i'm on!!

Donations accepted not expected!

Last edited by lnando84; 07-05-2011 at 07:49 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: VZW

Clipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuffClipp knows their stuff

lnando84 is correct. Launching the camera app by tapping/holding the hardware camera key is by design. That's one of the main reasons people like having a dedicated camera key - not just for taking pics like a real camera, but also for quick access to it. Works in every screen, not just TXT.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker

toddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stufftoddpedersen knows their stuff

I think your missing the point here. This discussion has to do with someone that posted how when they press their camera button, they access they get a text message popup screen, similar to a shortcut.
I am not disagreeing with you about how your camera button starts your camera program. I was merely replying to those that were wondering how the OP got their texting to popup by pressing their camera button.

I am sorry that you didn't understand what I was referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnando84 View Post
Not true, I don't have Handcent installed and my camera button works fine! try pressing and holding the button down for a second..my camera always opens regardless of what screen i'm on!!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

since head honcho has not chimed in, how about we all agree it does NOT work as he stated, lol

btw, I've added a link to Scroslers free wifi tether thread in the OP

Last edited by OMJ; 07-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I BLEED GREEN!!
Pocket PC: treo 700wx>mogul>touchpro>touchpro2>Evo 3D

lnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the communitylnando84 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to lnando84

Here's a nice little write-up I found on Good and Evo that features "20 tips about HTC Sense 3.0 on EVO 3D". I know most of you already know of most of these but I figured there may be a few new ones in you didn't. I personally think #18 is neat..basically adds swype to default keyboard.

20 tips about HTC Sense 3.0 on EVO 3D
  1. Swap home screen icons without "making room" first. In previous versions of Sense, rearranging apps required an empty "holding" space; if a screen was already filled, there was no way to move anything around unless you deleted something else first. Now you can long press an app on the EVO 3D home screen and drag it to an already occupied space. The existing app will automatically trade places with the new one.
  2. View your most recent and most used apps in several ways.
    • Long press the Home button to launch the recent apps window.
    • Swipe down on the status bar to see recent apps listed at the top of the notification panel.
    • Tap Applications (grid icon) in the dock then tap the star icon at the bottom to access frequently used apps.
  3. Swipe recent apps bar in notification panel to see more apps. Only five apps are shown at once, but the top bar in the notification panel actually holds a total of eight apps. Swipe left to see the other three.
  4. Customize with Personalize. Long press an empty area of the home screen, press Menu > Personalize, or tap the palette icon in the dock to access Personalize, where you can add items to your home screen, change scenes/skins/wallpapers/lock screens, and manage sounds (sound sets, ringtones, notifications, and alarms) all in one place
  5. Rearrange home screens in thumbnail view. When viewing apps in overview/thumbnail mode (accessible by pinching a home screen or tapping the Home button when already on the main screen), you can long press any thumbnail and drag it to a different location.
  6. Swipe slowly between home screens to view 3D details on widgets. Eye candy enthusiasts will appreciate little details like the silver hinges on the flip clock widget and the visual depth on some of the other HTC widgets that are visible when "stuck between" home screens.
  7. Customize the lock screen. Third-party apps like WidgetLocker used to be the only way to add useful information to the EVO 4G's lock screen. Now widgets and app shortcuts on the lock screen are a basic element of Sense 3.0. To customize it, go to Personalize and select "Lock screen" from the "Personalize display" section at the top. Select your desired preset lock screen and tap "Settings" to change the app shortcuts.
  8. Change directions when 3D carousel is spinning, tap to stop it on a particular screen. The home screens are presented in a carousel, with no end points; it just goes round and round. You can flick a screen to send the carousel spinning, but you don't have to wait until it stops to continue interacting with it. You can change directions mid-spin and if your fingers are quick enough to tap the screen you want while the carousel is in motion, it will stop and put that screen into view.
  9. Check out new widgets and apps. Sense 3.0 includes 3D widgets not found in previous versions, as well as both new and improved apps. Mail and Camera, for example, both have new features (e.g., message previews in the former, easily accessible settings in the latter), while apps like HTC Watch, Transfer, HTC Likes, and Mirror are brand new to the EVO line.
  10. Give your EVO 3D a new look with HTC Skins. HTC Skins originated with Sense 2.0 and are what most people refer to as themes in Sense 1.0 and other user interfaces. They include skinned widgets, docks, and taskbars, as well as new lock screens and wallpapers. To apply one on the EVO 3D, go to Personalize and select "Skin" from the "Personalize display" section at the top. Then just select a skin and hit "Apply" to start using it.
  11. Sign up with HTCSense.com to manage and protect your EVO 3D from a computer. Debuting with Sense 2.0, this free service lets you locate your phone, remotely lock or wipe it, make it ring at full volume, and forward text messages to another phone or an email address. HTCSense.com is still in beta in the US and doesn't have the backup and web-based HTC Hub features offered in other regions, but it's still nice that an EVO is finally officially supported.
    Register for an account at HTCSense.com and then sign in on your EVO 3D by tapping Settings > Accounts & sync > Add account > HTC Sense.
  12. Don't bother trying to rotate the home screen to landscape. Even though home screen rotation has been supported since Sense 2.0 and it works on several other phones, the home screen and app drawer are both locked to portrait mode on the EVO 3D.
  13. Free up internal storage space with "Make more space" option. Go to Settings > SD & phone storage and tap "Make more space" under "Internal storage" to clean the app cache, batch uninstall and batch move apps to the SD card, and manage mail/messages storage.
  14. Toggle wireless radios on/off without home screen widgets. Forget about dedicated home screen widgets to turn WiFi, 4G, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. on and off. The new Quick Settings tab in the notification panel provides quick access to all the individual wireless radios. You'll find an "All Settings" shortcut and a used/free memory widget that's linked to the preloaded Task Manager there too.
  15. Get free widgets, wallpapers, ringtones, and more from HTC Hub. Also making its debut with Sense 2.0 last year, HTC Hub is where you can download free apps and plug-ins, widgets, sound sets, scenes, skins, wallpapers, ringtones, alarms sounds, and notification sounds. New item notifications can be enabled/disabled in the Hub's settings menu.
  16. Browse all applications in free-flowing list. HTC opted for page-style scrolling in the Sense 3.0 app drawer, displaying 20 apps at a time. If you don't like the choppy effect of scrolling in "chunks," tap the Menu key in the app drawer and select "List" from the menu. The list presentation may not be as aesthetically pleasing as the grid, but you'll get that familiar river-like scrolling back.
  17. Associate new dock icons with old functionality. The home screen dock in Sense 3.0 features two new icons on either side of the unnecessarily large Phone button, but their functionality is the same as what you're used to in Sense 1.0 on the EVO 4G. The grid icon on the left opens the app drawer (just like the circled arrow icon did) and the palette icon on the right launches Personalize (equivalent to the + icon launching "Add to Home").
  18. Enable HTC Trace in stock keyboard and don't try to use it everywhere. HTC Trace is a Swype-like feature that can be enabled in the stock HTC keyboard, allowing users to input text by dragging their finger across the keys in a continuous motion.
    To enable it, go to Settings > Language & keyboard > Touch Input > Trace keyboard. Tap the checkbox to turn it on. Make sure that prediction is enabled in Touch Input > Text input. If it isn't, Trace won't work. Put another way, Trace will only work in prediction-enabled text fields like email, messages, and notes. Search fields and URL bars do not support prediction, so you'll need to tap the individual keys in these areas.
  19. View photos not stored on your EVO 3D in HTC Gallery, swipe quickly for ribbon-like scrolling. In addition to supporting 3D content, the Gallery app also has a drop-down menu in the right corner that lets you quickly access photos (both yours and your friends') from Facebook, Flickr, Picasa Web Albums, and media servers.
    When viewing any of these photos in the Gallery, swipe an image quickly for fast ribbon-like scrolling. This works in either orientation, but the filmstrip effect that occurs is better in landscape.
  20. Don't expect to fit more shortcuts on the home screen. The EVO 3D's qHD resolution may be higher than the EVO 4G's WVGA resolution, but that doesn't mean you'll be able to fit more content on the home screen. Unless you use a widget or app like Multicon to squeeze more shortcuts into one space or change the LCD density once the phone is rooted, you can still only get a total of 16 individual icons (4 x 4 grid) on each screen
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker

The new update released today and officially on 8-23-2011 allows for short cut keys to take screen shots without any root.

Press the power button and then almost immediately, press the home key.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker

I see a few others also replied as you did so I thought I would explain myself better.

My original reply was that that you had to have handcent installed to allow the ability to send text messages with the camera button. Without Handcent installed the camera button functions to open the camera no matter what screen your on. Within Handcent, there is a feature that allows the camera button to be used as the send button.

Sorry I was not more clear everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnando84 View Post
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 to EVO 4G to EVO 3D

schmeggy929 is a n00b

Have Handcent and inside a text message, Pressing the camera button brings up the camera. Your method doesnt seem to work. Still unclear as to pressing the camera button would do in a text message? another send button?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Have you gone into your Handcent settings to turn on the feature that uses the camera button to send texts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeggy929 View Post
Have Handcent and inside a text message, Pressing the camera button brings up the camera. Your method doesnt seem to work. Still unclear as to pressing the camera button would do in a text message? another send button?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 3D