PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   HELP!!! GPS software causing reboot and/or freezing (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93131)

kdmiller 10-28-2009 01:33 PM

HELP!!! GPS software causing reboot and/or freezing

Hello Everyone,

I have just run in to a new problem with my CDMA HTC Diamond. I have been using various roms over time (thanks to all the cooks out there) and as of yesterday I was trying to use TomTom and it reset my phone. I then tried again and the same thing happened. I then tried to check it with the carious GPS tools available and each time the hpone either restarts or locks up. I even flashed back to the original Factory Rom and it does the same thing. Tried NRG's rom, Calkulin's rom, MightyRom as well as Juicy, flashing to stock and back each time and still nothing......

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

KBZL 10-28-2009 01:36 PM

Re: HELP!!! GPS software causing reboot and/or freezing

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmiller (Post 1272167)
Hello Everyone,

I have just run in to a new problem with my CDMA HTC Diamond. I have been using various roms over time (thanks to all the cooks out there) and as of yesterday I was trying to use TomTom and it reset my phone. I then tried again and the same thing happened. I then tried to check it with the carious GPS tools available and each time the hpone either restarts or locks up. I even flashed back to the original Factory Rom and it does the same thing. Tried NRG's rom, Calkulin's rom, MightyRom as well as Juicy, flashing to stock and back each time and still nothing......

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe its the cab you are using to install TomTom. Have you always used the same one?

alex jb 10-28-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbussen (Post 1272182)
Maybe its the cab you are using to install TomTom. Have you always used the same one?

TTN6 or TTN7?

I had trouble with 7 and went back to 6, no more issues.

KBZL 10-28-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex jb (Post 1272315)
TTN6 or TTN7?

I had trouble with 7 and went back to 6, no more issues.

I have been using TTN 7 with excellent results. Guess it could be anything. I was thinking he may have a corrupted cab.

antnate 10-28-2009 02:15 PM

I have the same problem. have a cdma diamond on sprint, Using tomtom navigator 6. and SSK 3.0 final ROM. (winmo 6.5.1, and 6.5 versions).. but stock sprint rom with 6.1 isn't working right either.

problem is, not just with tomtom, I can get a gps lock with sprint nav or google maps after a hard reset.

after I connected, I closed the app, waited 5 minutes, then started it up again.. NO GPS found.

flashed to stock a couple times, reformatted internal storage, added tomtom maps back and ran installer.

not sure what the problem is. has to be something in the 6.5 roms?

KBZL 10-28-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antnate (Post 1272332)
I have the same problem. have a cdma diamond on sprint, Using tomtom navigator 6. and SSK 3.0 final ROM. (winmo 6.5.1, and 6.5 versions).. but stock sprint rom with 6.1 isn't working right either.

problem is, not just with tomtom, I can get a gps lock with sprint nav or google maps after a hard reset.

after I connected, I closed the app, waited 5 minutes, then started it up again.. NO GPS found.

flashed to stock a couple times, reformatted internal storage, added tomtom maps back and ran installer.

not sure what the problem is. has to be something in the 6.5 roms?

I havent had GPS issues. Have you ran quickGPS? Are you giving it ample time for the GPS to locate? I know this is dumb but, are you standing outside?

antnate 10-28-2009 02:24 PM

I am standing next to a window!!! but yea, I wait a while for it to hook up.

when I hard reboot, it works as expected. quick gps works, then I close quick gps, and started up google maps (just to use installed apps that come with stock rom).

Google maps works. Then I close it, then start it up again after waiting 5 minutes. gps satellites not found, after waiting over 5 minutes.

KBZL 10-28-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antnate (Post 1272355)
I am standing next to a window!!! but yea, I wait a while for it to hook up.

when I hard reboot, it works as expected. quick gps works, then I close quick gps, and started up google maps (just to use installed apps that come with stock rom).

Google maps works. Then I close it, then start it up again after waiting 5 minutes. gps satellites not found, after waiting over 5 minutes.

Thats strange. I wish I could help. Maybe try a different rom.

kdmiller 10-28-2009 02:44 PM

I have been using the same TomTom Cab from day one. It is not the Rom because I have flashed to many different roms including the stock one which I am running right now (6.1) with the same outcome.

GPS Test will initially say GPS starting up then show a bunch of sats and then switch to "looking for GPS unit"

HTC GPS tool when I open the port and start the test will work fine then freeze and reset my phone

Google maps will not find any sats

TomTom 7.45 will say no gps then waiting for signal then back to no gps

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Fixup 10-28-2009 03:12 PM

Very strange, everything had been fine until yesterday or so. GoogleMaps and TT7 both reboot the phone. I thought my phone generated a hardware problem with the GPS chip. This is good news, as my phone is not alone so it is not a hardware problem.

I'm using the latest Sprint ROM and radio.

The only thing I can think of is: I use 216.198.139.92:8889 as gpsOne. I'll change this and see how it goes.

antnate 10-28-2009 03:13 PM

Hey KD, looks like you and I are both seeing exactly the same thing.

I am using SSKs rom, was previously using his 2.7.5 rom running 6.5, no problems. went to new ROM 3.0 final, using winmo 6.5.1, problems started happening.

now, even after flashing back to sprint stock 6.1, gps problem exists regardless of flash image!!

crazy..

will keep looking out here, just wish someone smarter than me can duplicate this problem on their phone to see what is happening...

thanks,
ant.

antnate 10-28-2009 03:22 PM

I updated to SSK rom 3.0 that was running 6.5.1 image 23071, went and flashed back to stock. then installed image running 6.5 23017.

now running ssk 2.7.5 image 23017.

maybe it was going to 23071 that muffed it up?

not sure, have to leave now,
thanks,
ant.

kdmiller 10-28-2009 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good news!!! Got it working again. I am not sure if this file is what did it but everything seemed to be working fine now. All I did was load the original stock rom and installed this file which I found on the HTC website. After that everything seems to working as usual. I then got brave and flashed to NRG's latest, reinstalled TomTom and it still works.....who knows if this is what fixed it but hey, its worth a shot.

Good luck!

drdrewdown 10-28-2009 04:17 PM

this has been happening to me on multiple roms including different builds of wm6.5. it did it this morning. soo

i fought & fought to get GPS working via conventional methods of using quick gps & toggling different options for GPS in settings menu. the thing that brought it back to life was when i flashed a NEW RADIO on my phone. did this about 6 hours ago & dont have any problems yet.

just remember each time u flash the "STOCK ROM" again it will overwrite your radio back to default that is included in the rom ver.

i do have a touch pro but this should work for you as well.

Cheers!

Fixup 10-28-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmiller (Post 1272663)
Good news!!! Got it working again.

That fixed the problem, thanks much!

Now, quickGps no longer work.

MrObvious 10-28-2009 11:58 PM

I was having a similar problem earlier today so I reloaded shipped, hard reset that, then tried my GPS program and on a hunch since it worked without rebooting flashed back to MightyROM4 and it works now. :D

Fixup 10-29-2009 01:49 AM

In order to get quickGps back to work, I did a hard reset. After that, the gps problem came back and no way to fix it. I flashed to the latest Alltel ROM, so far so good.

messageliu 10-29-2009 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdmiller (Post 1272663)
Good news!!! Got it working again. I am not sure if this file is what did it but everything seemed to be working fine now. All I did was load the original stock rom and installed this file which I found on the HTC website. After that everything seems to working as usual. I then got brave and flashed to NRG's latest, reinstalled TomTom and it still works.....who knows if this is what fixed it but hey, its worth a shot.

Good luck!

I used this, but it still doesn't work.

I can find my gps port at com4 and 4800, but after 20 seconds. No devices again. I have been using this diamonds for 3 months.

Fixup 10-29-2009 03:02 AM

Seems there is a timer-bomb somewhere. My GPS had been working no problem at all until yesterday or so. The above hotfix even worked this morning but no longer this evening after a hard reset. So far the latest Alltel ROM works very well, much better than the Sprint ROM I had been using - much lighter weight and snappier.

stormygal_indy 10-29-2009 05:09 AM

Add another one to the list. My Diamond just started doing the GPS reboot today. I thought I mucked something up trying to get Garmin Mobile XT to run, but maybe I'm not necessarily the cause. GPSWeather Radar is what I've been using to test GPS signal and it reboots the phone repeatedly even after applying the HTC Hotfix from this thread.

o2l8 10-29-2009 06:12 AM

mine did the same, thing had to start with a clean rom. any backup restore ruined the GPS.

seamus 10-29-2009 08:52 AM

Add me to the list... Yesterday was bad for GPS. Flashed a bunch of ROMS and stock several times. Setting Google to use GPS would invariably reset the device on most of the ROMS including stock. Weird... Works now but I didn't do anything really to fix it. Am using Gadget's 21867 ROM.

BUT I STILL CAN'T USE aGPS. The only ROM I've seen aGPS working on is NRG's and then only for Google not Bing. Anybody know how to "turn-on" aGPS and/or to get Bing to use it.

antnate 10-29-2009 09:36 AM

something seems fishy>>>>!!!!

how can it be that we all just started experiencing this at around the same time?? We are all using CDMA versions right? I am on Sprint.

Just wondering could the provider have sent out some sort of update that could be causing this?

Not sure, It just seems strange that we are all losing our ability to use this phone's gps now..

ant.

o2l8 10-29-2009 09:44 AM

not fixed enrg rom telus 104radio alltel

MrObvious 10-29-2009 11:07 AM

Try a flash to the shipped ROM of your carrier then hard reset then try it then. And I think you can try ##786# to reset GPS too.

Fixup 10-29-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrObvious (Post 1274803)
Try a flash to the shipped ROM of your carrier then hard reset then try it then.

Tried that, no go. Had to flash to Alltel ROM to get GPS back. Mine is a Sprint phone and I use it on Verizon (PagePlusCellular actually).

Next time GPS breaks, will give ##786# a try.

antnate 10-29-2009 03:19 PM

dumb question, when I go to reset after entering ##786# , it asks for a password, any idea how I can get it?

thanks

ant.

o2l8 10-29-2009 03:39 PM

if i were a betting man,00000 or 123455

MrObvious 10-29-2009 06:08 PM

Do a search for MSL Grabber.

kdmiller 10-29-2009 06:10 PM

Yeah, mine is still messed too. I thought I had it going but it is come and go....my prob is finding a full stock MTS rom WITH the stock 1.03.06f radio...is there anyone that can help me out with that??

Nabeshein 10-29-2009 06:51 PM

Add another to the list! I've got an Alltel phone, and the GPS started crashing on MellowROM and the beta of DemolitionROM. Worked in IcedOWT, and works in the last stable release of Demolition. I'm thinking that it has to be a satellite (or network, could be A-GPS) that may be pushing some incorrect code on pings, and certain releases of WM 6.5 (or even certain radios) may have a bug in the code for handling GPS that's forcing some sort of memory error. Most of my "effing weird" experience may be with TV's, but I see things like this happen a LOT, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Do we have any inner workings gurus out there that may be able to test/log this theory? If not, we may have to wait for a more permanent hotfix to be good to go. I know my theory is just that, a theory, but weirder things have happened.

stormygal_indy 10-29-2009 07:22 PM

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92926

TPs having problems too.

o2l8 10-29-2009 07:30 PM

couldnt get to the reset page ##786# but updated ROM to Alltels Version from the HTC site and GPS is working. Could it be related to the Radio version? Im'm on Alltel 1.12.20F
Now that I'm back to the stock ROM I am going to figure out the MMS issue!
Starting a thread for mms alltel for any ROM.

Nabeshein 10-29-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o2l8 (Post 1276539)
couldnt get to the reset page ##786# but updated ROM to Alltels Version from the HTC site and GPS is working. Could it be related to the Radio version? Im'm on Alltel 1.12.20F
Now that I'm back to the stock ROM I am going to figure out the MMS issue!
Starting a thread for mms alltel for any ROM.

Have you tried the arcsoft Alltel MMS cabs to fix the MMS issue? I use version 5.0.69.44, and it has worked with any generic carrier ROM I've used. If it's carrier-specific, such as a Sprint ROM, I haven't had as much luck, but that's usually cuz data's messed up in the first place. There are plenty of threads out there that might have some good info for you like this one:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1136974

MrObvious 10-29-2009 08:26 PM

MMS should just work if you are back on the stock Alltel ROM. Otherwise just download Arcsoft and set up the server according to the various instructions around the web/PPCGeeks.

stormygal_indy 10-29-2009 09:06 PM

Flash back to Sprint shipped did not resolve this for me ... Google Maps locked 5 satellites the first time around after fresh boot, exited and went to Sprint Nav (weak signal) and then back into Google Maps (now it can't find any satellites at all). And QuickGPS just locked me up. GRR!

MrObvious 10-29-2009 09:29 PM

Hmm flash back to shipped and hard reset. Also clear out miscellaneous folders in your Internal Storage and see if that helps.

Liamfm 10-29-2009 09:50 PM

Add me to the list. I have a sprint TP, almost completely stock (I've done some tweaks to TF3D and a few cabs, but it's the stock ROM.

Just noticed it today, but it seems like that's the case with everyone on this thread, last 48 hours only....

stormygal_indy 10-29-2009 10:22 PM

Just curious ... of those of us having problems, how many have done the GPS Configuration from this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=36639

I have not yet and am just curious if it makes any difference one way or another.

Nabeshein 10-29-2009 10:31 PM

I haven't, but I wouldn't doubt that a lot of those settings are cooked in the ROMS I use, as my GPS is nice and fast usually.