PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond on Metrocs
Carrier: Metropcs

linkinx64 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Signal Bars

I have a quick question normally.... my signal bars are some where between 1 and 3 ..... but sometimes.... there are none.... but when I select Send/Receive it goes up to 3 or 4 the same with internet or anything requiring data.....Is that some battery saving feature? uses less signal power when not in use?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Signal Bars

They change all the time. If you want more accurate signal indication use ##debug#.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

linkinx64 is a n00b

Yes it changes....but what I am saying is that it seems to have more signal while doing some of those stuff mentioned...Data Connections....while not doing it it has less Bars..(which i think means less signal right)?

EDIT:

OK i did a test...
NOrmall right now is -101 Dbm if i go and do a send and receive it goes to -94 and when is done it goes back to -101

Last edited by linkinx64; 10-06-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Iphone 4s
Carrier: Sprint

violent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularviolent31601 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I don't even pay attention to signal strength unless im out in the middle of nowhere, even then I'm more like "if I have signal....i'm good"
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

linkinx64 is a n00b

Well I am the same .... but today at school I was not getting any signal it was without bars, and when i select check email it got 3 bars :I
Old 10-06-2009, 03:59 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinx64 View Post
Well I am the same .... but today at school I was not getting any signal it was without bars, and when i select check email it got 3 bars :I
Happens all the time, even had it happen when sitting under a tower. The signal bars are pretty much worthless.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch diamond
Carrier: alltel

runkittyrun is a n00b

no it is not a battery saving feature, and no the signal bars are not worthless

does your phone show you your signal or rssi for both ev and 1x, also when you make data connection and signal goes up does roam indicator come on or data signal indicator change?

basically phone locks in on one tower, probely prefured sid in the PRL list on phone, once the signal gets to low enough point it will accept a non-prefurred tower to maintain your conenction, say you have one bar then apply data usage to it and usage detirates the signal quality then phone see no prefured ID's and uses next lower setting which is actual closer to you, also lower signal phone registers the higher it raise power level

in short the prl on your phone is causing your battery to drain faster, if you know what sid your phone is using when you have good signal with active connection you could manual edit it to be a preferred ID and not have this issue
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

linkinx64 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkittyrun View Post

does your phone show you your signal or rssi for both ev and 1x, also when you make data connection and signal goes up does roam indicator come on or data signal indicator change?

basically phone locks in on one tower, probely prefured sid in the PRL list on phone, once the signal gets to low enough point it will accept a non-prefurred tower to maintain your conenction, say you have one bar then apply data usage to it and usage detirates the signal quality then phone see no prefured ID's and uses next lower setting which is actual closer to you, also lower signal phone registers the higher it raise power level

in short the prl on your phone is causing your battery to drain faster, if you know what sid your phone is using when you have good signal with active connection you could manual edit it to be a preferred ID and not have this issue

Intersting .... and how do I find that info? the ID ?..... and no it is not roaming... I have it for Home only... and it shows 1x cause metro I believe does not have EVDO ( maybe I am wrong)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkittyrun View Post

Doubt it's the prl ...

Last edited by wmdunn; 10-07-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Odele. I'm not 100% sure on everything in here but I know a few things:

*They are accurate based on the power of the radio at the time. Believe it or not 100% of the full power allotted the radio isn't used all the time which is why you can have better battery life in a better reception area.
*The PRL isn't causing the battery to drain. It is just essentially a text file saying which groups of towers you are native to and which ones you roam off of. If you are in a crappy area and there is say a Verizon tower where you need Sprint service, Sprint may not let you roam because they don't have an agreement on the particular tower or group of towers. Verizon doesn't roam much to begin with and charges a lot for other carriers to roam off of them.
*The bars are slightly accurate in whether you have signal or not (1 bar versus 0) but you can be right under a tower and not have full bars. This is because your phone isn't using all it's radio power.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond