PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility

liriel is keeping up the good workliriel is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Access LAN computers by IP on Touch Diamond

I would like to access computers on my LAN over VPN; my setup does not support NetBIOS over VPN so I have to access them by IP address. However, I have not found a way to do this. Even when connected to my LAN by WiFi, I can only connect to other computers by their NetBIOS name (e.g., "\\computername\share"), not by IP (e.g., "\\192.168.1.12\share"). I have tried using Resco Explorer and the HTC Network Plugin.

Any ideas on how to browse LAN computers by IP on the HTC Touch Diamond?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Access LAN computers by IP on Touch Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by liriel View Post
I would like to access computers on my LAN over VPN; my setup does not support NetBIOS over VPN so I have to access them by IP address. However, I have not found a way to do this. Even when connected to my LAN by WiFi, I can only connect to other computers by their NetBIOS name (e.g., "\\computername\share"), not by IP (e.g., "\\192.168.1.12\share"). I have tried using Resco Explorer and the HTC Network Plugin.

Any ideas on how to browse LAN computers by IP on the HTC Touch Diamond?
MS has RemoteDesktopMobile for ppc's and you can access your desktop that way. Not all ROMs include the RemoteDesktopMobile, so you may need to find a cab.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
MS has RemoteDesktopMobile for ppc's and you can access your desktop that way. Not all ROMs include the RemoteDesktopMobile, so you may need to find a cab.
Thanks for the suggestion; however, the computers I need to access are running Vista Home, which does not come with Remote Desktop. Also, all I want to do is browse shared folders on the computers - I don't need full access to the desktop.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

mwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the communitymwalt2 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion; however, the computers I need to access are running Vista Home, which does not come with Remote Desktop. Also, all I want to do is browse shared folders on the computers - I don't need full access to the desktop.
You can try logmein.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
You can try logmein.
Quote:

Logmein is just a crappy version of the first suggestion.

Sponsored by Kools.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
Logmein is just a crappy version of the first suggestion.
It would run on Vista home, so it's an actual solution instead of a 'crappy version of the first suggestion'. Try to be helpful in the future...or are you just holding back on getting the WinCE file system to read files on PC's running Vista.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
It would run on Vista home, so it's an actual solution instead of a 'crappy version of the first suggestion'. Try to be helpful in the future...or are you just holding back on getting the WinCE file system to read files on PC's running Vista.
For those that are interested, I found a solution for getting Remote Desktop working on Vista Home SP1.

http://andrewblock.net/?p=235

However, I have still haven't directly solved the problem of accessing shared drives on my LAN through my PPC over VPN . Oh well, baby steps...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Telus

proplayer44 is just getting started

Ya I made a video a while back on how to get RDP working on vista Home Pr. Here is the link to my site.

http://helpviavideo.com/watch.php?vidid=22
Old 09-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Officer Android
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, T-Mobile G1, Diamond, HTC Evo

bradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIPbradart is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to bradart Send a message via MSN to bradart Send a message via Skype™ to bradart

Quote:
He said HE DOES NOT NEED ACCESS TO THE DESKTOP. Therefore, logmein would be completely worthless to him. In this respect, your post was just as unhelpful as mine was, so shut up.

Quote:
For those that are interested, I found a solution for getting Remote Desktop working on Vista Home SP1.

http://andrewblock.net/?p=235

However, I have still haven't directly solved the problem of accessing shared drives on my LAN through my PPC over VPN . Oh well, baby steps...
I'm not sure the phone was really built to do this.It might be easier to set up an activesync folder that you can move files to on one computer that will automatically put them on your device when you sync. You could just drag and drop files from all the lan folders into that one consolidated folder and plug in your phone. My father-in-law is a CCIE at Cisco, i'll ask him if he has any insight into the matter.

Was that helpful Mwalt?
Old 09-18-2009, 04:16 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradart View Post
He said HE DOES NOT NEED ACCESS TO THE DESKTOP. Therefore, logmein would be completely worthless to him. In this respect, your post was just as unhelpful as mine was, so shut up.

Was that helpful Mwalt?
What's your problem, man? There's no need to be rude and tell people that they aren't helping and to shut-up.

It should be pretty logical that if he has access to his DESKTOP (ie all files on his computer), he'd at least be able to open whatever file he wanted to. I've used both logmein an remotedesktop on my diamond, and both have allowed me to access files on my PC from anywhere I had an internet connection on my phone. I don't know how you can view that as unhelpful. It's not as nice as a simple browser that would let you see shared drives on a WLAN, but a workaround to access files remotely.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Tags
browse, diamond, lan, network, share