PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamon
Carrier: Sprint

Time_Lord is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fustrated with the Diamond

I"ve been using Sprint's version of the HTC Touch Diamond for a while now (2? 3? months) and I have come up with some very annoying issues with it.

First, I have tried multiple ROMs from different "chefs" and I'm currently using MightyRom.

Maybe somebody has suggestions that I'm missing but, my currently list of gripes -

1) I leave the phone in my pocket, I can't say how many times I've called people unintentionally or dropped calls when I'm trying to remove the phone from my pocket.
2) Audio volume (and quality) - it sucks, my hearing is bad enough I'd like to be able to hear the caller
3) Touch screen is nice but - I find that when using the stylus it works great, but using my finger? not so good. especially when trying to send an SMS message.
4) You can't dial by "feel". I guess this is just the nature of the beast with touch screens.
5) Why can't the phone rotate the screen easily in all modes? When it does rotate it's slow to do so when it does rotate.
6) just a general gripe but... My car (a Ford product) has Microsoft Sync, don't you think that a phone with a Micro$oft operating system would be able to pass SMS messages to the Sync system in the car so the car could read them?

Things aren't all bad, there are a few things that I like...

1) Web browsing is usually doable on the Diamond
2) I like that I can sync my outlook calendar and phonebook with active sync

Maybe somebody has some suggestions as to how I might overcome some of my gripes before I smash this thing into a gazillion pieces!

Oh and this is my shortcoming, I know that there is a way to backup all the applications I have installed on the phone so they can be restored quickly after doing a ROM upgrade. Somebody want to point me to a tutorial on how that's done?

Thanks!

PA23
Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Fustrated with the Diamond

1st use S2U2 it will stop pocket dialing.
2nd try a different audiopara file
3rd there is a reg edit to increase sensitivity
4th use MSVC, dial by name or number from voice
5th plent of programs like gsen will do that for you.
6th MSVC might take care of this also

and last but not least a program like SPB Backup or Sprite will do this for you

SEARCH!!!!!

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

here are a couple other possible solutions.

1) I leave the phone in my pocket, I can't say how many times I've called people unintentionally or dropped calls when I'm trying to remove the phone from my pocket.
You can also set the phone to lock but holding the end key. Start>Settings>System tab>Long Press end key.

4) You can't dial by "feel". I guess this is just the nature of the beast with touch screens.
Try touch response. it's a cab floating around.

5) Why can't the phone rotate the screen easily in all modes? When it does rotate it's slow to do so when it does rotate.
You may just want to use the built in rotate screen option. rotate when you want then. probably will use less battery as well. Start>Settings>Personal>Buttons>assign rotate screen from the list below.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

I have similar issues with the Sprint Diamond, currently on Mighty ROM 4.x...
I am an 18+mos user of the Sprint Touch, on the Sprint 6.1 ROM. I find it to be great, VERY stable, very responsive, etc, etc -- very few flaws.

But the Diamond screen is compelling. So I bought one to play with. Here are some problems I find relative to my Touch/Vogue:

- Screen sensitivity is very NON-homogenous, not uniform. Particularly at the edges of the screen, it is difficult to get a response from the device. Adjusting the overall screen sensitivity doesn't help -- its a UNIFORMITY issue. The Touch doesn't have this problem and is therefore alot easier to interact with (since many of the critical buttons are at the screen edge, like the X/closer and the scrolling bars, and the top icons). This is probably my number ONE issue preventing me from moving from the Touch to the Diamond for real...

- D-pad, the Diamond D-pad is just plain sh*ttier, especially when trying to hit the UP and DOWN parts.

- The FM radio is so insensitive as to be almost useless. A dollar store FM radio works better...

- There are non-polished parts of the software which add up to being just not as nice as the Touch. I realize these are probably ROM issues and would love to know of a better ROM. The device does freeze from time to time. The fonts are not always what they should be, e.g. within Opera, the fonts are TOO LARGE, even though they are set to "small". I don't like the top icons as much. The roaming support is confusing. No camera hardware button is too bad.

That's enough for now... there are things I like of course, mainly the screen and the Wifi.

Pointers to better ROMs welcome. Anybody think the official Sprint 6.1 ROM update to be better than MightyRom 4.x ?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Good ol Sprint has 4G now

mrheineken08 is becoming a great contributor

nuerom has zero flaws and as for everything else maybe you should by a dollar store radio...itd a f ing telephone for crying out loud.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung I8000L
Carrier: Bell

Willis111 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
- Screen sensitivity is very NON-homogenous, not uniform. Particularly at the edges of the screen, it is difficult to get a response from the device. Adjusting the overall screen sensitivity doesn't help -- its a UNIFORMITY issue. The Touch doesn't have this problem and is therefore alot easier to interact with (since many of the critical buttons are at the screen edge, like the X/closer and the scrolling bars, and the top icons). This is probably my number ONE issue preventing me from moving from the Touch to the Diamond for real...
If you're like everyone else you probably popped the little clear plastic sleeve over your diamond the moment you unboxed it. You might want to try peeling that off and then try playing with the screen. I know it makes a bit of a difference on my diamond.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis111 View Post
If you're like everyone else you probably popped the little clear plastic sleeve over your diamond the moment you unboxed it. You might want to try peeling that off and then try playing with the screen. I know it makes a bit of a difference on my diamond.
if you mean the screen protector, then, ok... I'll try with it off, although I *really* want one on, and my Touch has a screen protector and doesn't have these problems.

But I bought this Diamond used, so perhaps its worth checking the thing out without the screen protector, then putting my own screen protector on...

thanks for the suggestion... I really *do* want to like this Diamond as much as my Touch because I have a feeling that the TP2 and other new WM phones won't be allowed on SERO...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

matty032 is keeping up the good workmatty032 is keeping up the good work
I don't have the option to rotate screen under the Buttons setting. ?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond