PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: ip6
Carrier: tmobile

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opera "Mini tutorial"

**See bottom of post one for new information.

I wanted to start this thread since there seems to be a good amount of people that ask about how to install opera mini and what the best jbed is out there currently. I seem to be answering this question alot so I figured why not put it one place. I have found the attached jbed to be really good. If you use a rom with a java vm already cooked in, these steps should also work well and you will be able to set it up properly. The value add of Opera mini is speed to the web. It renders pages very good as well. Another big advantage is adding comments on sites like ppcgeeks which is far easier with Mini than with Opera Mobile. It even works well in 1x data which may be useful for some. If you find yourself nodding off waiting for other browsers to get you information, you may want to try or in some cases retry mini. A few months ago they upgraded to Mini 4.2 which brought faster downloads, and some other features. You can visit Opera.com to learn more. For some reason, the Diamond is not recognized as a device, but it works properly by following the steps provided below.

There are several version of 4.2, generic (unsigned), and signed(mult signatures). the signed version is better because it eliminates one of the permission screens. You can also adjust the font size to large or extra large which is very readable. After installation, go to Menu>Settings and change picture quality to high and font size to large or extra large. You can also sync with opera desktop websites if you have this loaded on your pc which is very cool!

1.Ok first download and install the java vm cab (to internal storage to save some space)
2. Next type mini.opera.com using pie on your phone. if your using ie6, put the browser in mobile mode.
3. On this screen, select the link that say this: "If this version fails to install or you would like to install a previous version. please click here"
4. Next, select the 1st opera mini 4.2 link "English USA Multiple certificates.
5. Your java vm will open up now and take over installation. just agree to the requests, and permissions. when you reach the net permission screen, select the first one "always giving permission". This eliminates it asking you over and over for network access.
6. Once it fires up, select accept, then menu and set up your options as discussed above for larger fonts and better pictures resolution.
7. you can now sync with Opera desktop if you have this loaded on your PC

You should be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

EDIT 3/29: Also have another way to install mini as per MightyMike. This way works well if you are having any errors with installation or if you are using a rom with jbed already installed. I was having some issues installing mini using the steps above, but Mike thankfully set me straight. Thanks a million!! Here the other way to install Mini:

Proper process would be to OPEN Java jbed, goto MENU > Install > Browser.
Opera Mobile will load up. Goto mini.opera.com from opera and load it up.
Works like a charm

Also, Please Thanks Wmdunn for posting a newer version of Jbed which I will attach to this first post. I would suggest giving it a try as well. Thanks again Wmdunn.

EDIT2: 3/29

WmDunn was kind enough to post how to create a shortcut, Thanks again! and here's how ...

On your desktop PC, right click and open a new text document. Open the document and place the following into it ...

28#"\windows\jbed.exe" -run s0_

Next click save as Mini.lnk

The resulting file should then be copied to your internal storage via Activesync. Once it is there, then use Total Commander to copy it to your \Windows\Start Menu\ ... that's it. You should be good to go. If you check your start menu, Mini should be listed. One last item ... the "0" in the above file is a zero, and it represents which java application that opera mini is under. You might have to change the zero to a one, or a two, whatever, if you have several java apps on your device. It's simple enough to do, just press and hold on the file, go to properties, shortcut, make the change, and save (ok).

Edit: 5/5/09

Updated information that some may find valuable. Since the newest Opera mobile 16277 has been released, the process of installing mini has changed a bit. I have been having issues with installing mini with mulitple certs since mini.opera.com does not open properly in Opera mobile anymore. I tried a number of solutions but found only one that works for me right now. Since most new roms have 16277 cooked in, do not use opera mobile to get the info. Use Ie6 instead. Change ie6 to mobile view, then type in mini.opera.com and it worked. Brings you to correct page and follow the instruction 3 through 6 as noted on the first page which are:

3. On this screen, select the link that say this: "If this version fails to install or you would like to install a previous version. please click here"
5. Your java vm will open up now and take over installation. just agree to the requests, and permissions. when you reach the net permission screen, select the first one "always giving permission". This eliminates it asking you over and over for network access.
6. Once it fires up, select accept, then menu and set up your options as discussed above for larger fonts and better pictures resolution.
Attached Files
File Type: cab VGA Esmertec Jbed 20090217.5.1R2.cab (2.65 MB, 56 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by Riley; 04-19-2010 at 06:50 PM.
This post has been thanked 12 times.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

jmz768 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: Opera Mini "Mini tutorial"

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this. Works great!

Last edited by jmz768; 03-24-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2

bean373 is keeping up the good workbean373 is keeping up the good work

Thanks for showing me how to get the signed version of Opera Mini. Very HAPPY to get rid of the annoying pop up net permission.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Riley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation levelRiley can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this. Works great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean373 View Post
Thanks for showing me how to get the signed version of Opera Mini. Very HAPPY to get rid of the annoying pop up net permission.
No Problem guys! I figured some would like to know this process a little better. Try the Opera desktop sync feature! Plus add comments in this thread using mini. It's really awesome. You can load up all the sites you want on the Desktop version, than sync it right to your mobile browser on the phone. Brilliant and powerful for such a light browser. Honestly Mini is my go to browser even on the Diamond. Granted there are some quirks with it like sometimes you need to hit a link a couple times to get it to work, but it's still much quicker than anything else in my opinion.

Last edited by Riley; 03-24-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

unclutchable is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to unclutchable

I downloaded a custom ROM which only had PIE on it. I absolutely cannot stand PocketIE.

I decided to download Opera again, but forgot if it was Opera Mini or Opera Mobile. I downloaded Mini on accident, and to my surprise, it was the damn quickest browser I've ever used on a phone.

Thanks for the write up, definitely came in handy. The permissions thing was kind of annoying me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclutchable View Post
I downloaded a custom ROM which only had PIE on it. I absolutely cannot stand PocketIE.

I decided to download Opera again, but forgot if it was Opera Mini or Opera Mobile. I downloaded Mini on accident, and to my surprise, it was the damn quickest browser I've ever used on a phone.

Thanks for the write up, definitely came in handy. The permissions thing was kind of annoying me.
Yes, glad to hear your back in the Mini Posse! it's so fast and functional. the permission thing is good to get rid for sure! be sure to try the desktop sync feature
Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

great info, thanx given!!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tp Custom/BB Tour5.0.230
Carrier: Sprint ;>(

sprintnerd is keeping up the good worksprintnerd is keeping up the good worksprintnerd is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to sprintnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyd5 View Post
I wanted to start this thread since there seems to be a good amount of people that ask about how to install opera mini and what the best jbed is out there currently. I seem to be answering this question alot so I figured why not put it one place. I have found the attached jbed to be really good. If you use a rom with a java vm already cooked in, these steps should also work well and you will be able to set it up properly. The value add of Opera mini is speed to the web. It renders pages very good as well. Another big advantage is adding comments on sites like ppcgeeks which is far easier with Mini than with Opera Mobile. It even works well in 1x data which may be useful for some. If you find yourself nodding off waiting for other browsers to get you information, you may want to try or in some cases retry mini. A few months ago they upgraded to Mini 4.2 which brought faster downloads, and some other features. You can visit Opera.com to learn more. For some reason, the Diamond is not recognized as a device, but it works properly by following the steps provided below.

There are several version of 4.2, generic (unsigned), and signed(mult signatures). the signed version is better because it eliminates one of the permission screens. You can also adjust the font size to large or extra large which is very readable. After installation, go to Menu>Settings and change picture quality to high and font size to large or extra large. You can also sync with opera desktop websites if you have this loaded on your pc which is very cool!

1.Ok first download and install the java vm cab (to internal storage to save some space)
2. Next type mini.opera.com using pie on your phone. if your using ie6, put the browser in mobile mode.
7. you can now sync with Opera desktop if you have this loaded on your PC

You should be good to go. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.
You ROCK!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I wanted to also let you guys know to try another great mini browser. Its called UCWeb. I will attach the cab if you are interested. I tried this browser probably a year ago and was impressed but didn't revisit it until Mighty Mike (thank again man!) mentioned it about 2 months ago. It is very good as well. Super fast and functional. Try it out!!
Attached Files
File Type: cab UCWEB6-63-300-31-09021910.cab (438.8 KB, 33 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Pam Pre'

vader4633 is becoming a great contributor

anyone one know why when i type a number it enters it the next line down using the full qwerty keyboard. for example:

password1

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond