PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Forcing 1x over EVDO (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60023)

tmz 03-08-2009 01:43 PM

Re: Forcing 1x over EVDO

Heres a cab, if it helps.

Thanks T M Z

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...83&postcount=8

grt8neaphew 03-08-2009 01:49 PM

so if u force 1x then there shouldnt be a text delay like the problem the tp has been having?

JimboKern 03-08-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grt8neaphew (Post 759647)
so if u force 1x then there shouldnt be a text delay like the problem the tp has been having?

It should be set to hybrid. Look up how data is transferred through a cellular network. This will help you with useless tweaks. You can only use EVDO on a sprint (or whomever your cellular carrier is) tower(s), and forcing it will only cause delays in other services not transmitted through EVDO, mainly 1X.

mulhiny 03-08-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimboKern (Post 759627)
If you do EVDO only expect to have a problem with SMS since it uses 1X. You probably wont receive any text unless you make or receive a phone call.

Thanks for the advice. I actually only force it to 1x because I get better reception at home that way. I think the only time to force evdo would be while tethering.

mulhiny 03-08-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimboKern (Post 759872)
It should be set to hybrid. Look up how data is transferred through a cellular network. This will help you with useless tweaks. You can only use EVDO on a sprint (or whomever your cellular carrier is) tower(s), and forcing it will only cause delays in other services not transmitted through EVDO, mainly 1X.

I'm not sure why you would refer to this as a "useless tweak". It's perfectly useful. Take data out of the picture. At home my phone switches from evdo to 1x non stop. With this tweak I can force 1x on my phone to stop the switching, which save me battery. Also I get a stronger signal. Before this tweak my only option to force 1x was to roam.

pask2155 03-08-2009 05:27 PM

so whats the draw backs of forcing 1x....just slower data speeds? and do you have to do the registry edit, or can you just force it in 1x through the settings>personal>phone?

and has anyone ever confirmed this saves battery life?

mulhiny 03-08-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pask2155 (Post 759962)
so whats the draw backs of forcing 1x....just slower data speeds? and do you have to do the registry edit, or can you just force it in 1x through the settings>personal>phone?

and has anyone ever confirmed this saves battery life?

The only draw back I can see is slower data speeds. You do have to do the reg edit to get the menu on your phone. A cab has been posted, but I haven't tried it. I can say it has saved me battery at home because my service signal is very weak on evdo, no bars. When I force the 1x I get 3 bars. I have not used it in all day situation outside of my home. It would be my best guess to say it will save battery because normally your phone is in evdo. As soon as you send or receive a text you switch to 1x. Also if you make a call. I think this constant switching between 1x and evdo (if you text a lot like me) must take a toll on the battery. I could be wrong, but this is my best guess. It works for me. My advice is if you think you may benefit from it, try it. If you don't you can just use your phone in hybrid.

pask2155 03-08-2009 06:53 PM

well i'm on juicy rom 4.4 and this option is already in my phone, so I guesss i don't need the reg. tweak

mulhiny 03-08-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pask2155 (Post 760071)
well i'm on juicy rom 4.4 and this option is already in my phone, so I guesss i don't need the reg. tweak

Juicy must build it into his roms. Mighty had the roaming built in, but not this. Anyway give it a go and report back, good or bad. Thanks.

rie 04-10-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genjinaro (Post 758518)
It'd be nice if it ony went EVDO during browsing.

Let us know if its better.
IMHO I highly doubt it'lll be a noteworthy increase.

Someone in the MightyRom 4.8 thread talked about having a mort script that does this-the phone is set to 1x, but switches over to EVDO when you start using data.

This is obviously useful, but I don't know what to do with it... Because I don't know what a mort script is...