PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Is there a way to enable tactile feedback (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=53563)

cantwait2b 01-16-2009 11:34 PM

Is there a way to enable tactile feedback

is there a way to enable tactile feedback on the cdma touch diamond? if so please give directions for a newbie. thanks

stevedog1 01-17-2009 12:44 AM

Re: Is there a way to enable tactile feedback

1 Attachment(s)
FYI: The search feature at the top of the page does work.

In any event, Touch Response is what your looking for.

jrn6264 01-17-2009 03:48 PM

and the link to the thread is HERE

cantwait2b 01-17-2009 04:17 PM

okay I can read the posts on the thread, but I don't see where I need to go to get directions to enable touch response.

ou2mame 01-17-2009 05:13 PM

just put the phone down and sit on your hands. its over.

cantwait2b 01-17-2009 05:32 PM

I did say I'm a newbie. I don't understand this technical stuff and I'm not used to spending time on chat boards to know where to find different things.

meatgel 01-17-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantwait2b (Post 647505)
I did say I'm a newbie. I don't understand this technical stuff and I'm not used to spending time on chat boards to know where to find different things.

Touch Response is a program you need to add to you phone to get tactile feedback on your phone.

ou2mame 01-17-2009 05:44 PM

2 people have already posted what you asked for. you just didn't recognize it.

cantwait2b 01-17-2009 06:01 PM

I thought tactile feedback and touch response was just two different ways to say the same thing. I am working on installing touch response.

Biker1 01-17-2009 06:28 PM

http://touchresponse.snailslug.com

andyandmarlys 01-17-2009 06:40 PM

I wish there was a vibrate scroll function that the instinct has

PintozozDIAM 01-17-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ou2mame (Post 647471)
just put the phone down and sit on your hands. its over.

epic. you win ten points sir.

stevedog1 01-17-2009 10:16 PM

I attached the program for you in my first post. I don't understand what is so complicated. Do you want us to install it for you too??

Edit: and not even a thanks :angry7:

cantwait2b 01-17-2009 10:25 PM

stevedog,

I am new to this kind of chat board and I didn't realize you posted a link to the cab in your first post nor did I know how to install the cab. I have since been able to get this to work. I am new to this ppc and making modifications, no need to be rude with your "do you want us to insall it for you" comment.

stevedog1 01-17-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantwait2b (Post 648057)
no need to be rude with your "do you want us to insall it for you" comment.

You will be just fine. Next time, just do some research. There are tons of threads on this very topic. It's redundant, and a waste of a thread. Have fun with your new PPC.

Edit: and say "thanks" when people help you. If you want to continue to receive help in the future.

andyandmarlys 01-17-2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantwait2b (Post 648057)
stevedog,

I am new to this kind of chat board and I didn't realize you posted a link to the cab in your first post nor did I know how to install the cab. I have since been able to get this to work. I am new to this ppc and making modifications, no need to be rude with your "do you want us to insall it for you" comment.

I have to agree. I get sick of all the BS that gets posted on this forum for people who are coming in and trying to get help... and the whole thing is new to them. Sure.. there might be another forum.. but how is somebody who doesn't know what is going on going to find something they don't know what to look for?

Please.. lets just be helpful and friendly geeks... and keep the community positive.

stevedog1 01-17-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyandmarlys (Post 648070)
I have to agree. I get sick of all the BS that gets posted on this forum for people who are coming in and trying to get help... and the whole thing is new to them. Sure.. there might be another forum.. but how is somebody who doesn't know what is going on going to find something they don't know what to look for?

Please.. lets just be helpful and friendly geeks... and keep the community positive.

Are you kidding me? Someone told him to put his phone down, and to sit on his hands. I asked him if he wanted us to install it as well, and thats a problem?? Get over it.

This is a well established comunity with a SEARCH function, and tons of sticky's at the top of every page. Newb or not. No excuse. If you decide to buy a PPC, then it shouldn't be a problem to search and read before asking a question thats been answered a million times.

And newbs are notorious for asking questions and then dippin without even thanking those you helped to begin with. Good luck on your next issue!

/end rant and conversasion.

andyandmarlys 01-17-2009 11:12 PM

Don't mind the discouragement... Lots of helpful people here who will help without trying to dig your head in.

In the future, searching will help sometimes, but if you don't know what to search for, post and somebody should be able to help you...

Stevedog... You need to grow up... You complain about wasting forum space, yet there are plenty of your posts that just make newbies not want to participate in the forum. You have strong opinions which is fine, but it gets annoying reading this forum to have you try and educate everybody with snide remarks and wasteful complaints about using the search. The Thankyou feature is nice.. but I wish there was a anti-thankyou feature so that people could let you know when you are just not helping out.

So until then.. Stevedog +1 thankyou for helping the guy in the earlier posts... but -2 thank you's for you negative posts...

All done....

stevedog1 01-17-2009 11:19 PM

and your opinion matters why? I've helped more people than you read threads. So, go play hero at home, where someone cares.

NewDiamonduser 01-17-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedog1 (Post 648139)
So, go play hero at home, where someone cares.

ROFL....:evil4:

Im just as clueless as the next newb, but I found everything I needed by searching the sticky's and existing threads. Sure enough, all my questions have been asked many times before, and I easily did what I wanted to with my phone.

Granted Im new here, but its clear that many new users just sign up to ask questions without even bothering to find any answers themselves. Which is explains why there are users here that have been members for years with a post count of 40 something :evil4:.. That probably also means that they had 40 something questions!

But, who am I to talk. Im just a newb too! :mrgreen:

WarAxe 01-18-2009 06:42 AM

Yeah, I'm a super-n00b as well... but I can see the damn CAB file! :-)

ou2mame 01-18-2009 07:42 AM

lol.. this thread got kinda funny. i try to remember to thank people.. i ask a lot of odd ball questions, but they're odd because most things i figure out on my own... if you're not used to a pocketpc, or windows in general, then you're probably going to have a lot of problems adjusting to these phones... it sucks when people don't even try though, thats the point that i think people are trying to make. before i ask anything i go through google, forum searches, etc... if you're going to sign up on a message board, but don't know how to even navigate the file system, you're going to get some rude responses because we're all a million geek years past that point, and most of us probably don't even remember being at that point with devices like this. it's hard to give somebody constructive advice when they're asking questions that are so blatently answered by even an ounce of trial and error.

Biker1 01-18-2009 02:26 PM

cantwait2b:My first PPC is the Diamond I have now, which I purchased about 4 months ago. The funny thing is that I have never owned a PC and I just got my first laptop a week ago. I can navigate my Diamond a hundred times better than my laptop :)I remember when I first got my Diamond., I was lucky to just be able to make a phone call on it. I still have a lot to learn about my Diamond and don't even ask about my Laptop. I do a lot of googling and a lot of searching but sometimes I can still not find the answers even if it is in front of my face. As long as you make the attempt to find and learn, that is where you learn the most. And of course, if you still can't find the answers then post your questions and people will be more than happy to answer them. Its like learning to drive. You don't really start learning until you start driving. Getting the license is a start but does not give you any driving experience except the lessons you took to get your license. Similar with getting your first PPC. You don't really start learning until you start navigating :wink:Don't get frustrated and continue your PPC journey. There are alot of people on the journey with you, including myself :)

Biker1 01-18-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantwait2b (Post 647505)

When there is a cab file or a link etc.,that is highlighted, underlined etc. just click on it or with the Touch Diamond ,just touch the screen over it and you will be directed automatically to what you "clicked" on.

Mattemer 01-19-2009 05:21 PM

Agreeing with both sides here, even if you miss the underlined and bolded and stickied stuff, you still somehow miss the green "thanks" button? But at the same time, when i first started here, i easily missed these things when i didn't know how it worked. i was such a n00b, i signed up when i had a moto q9c, not even a ppc, b/c i had no idea what the difference was between a smartphone and ppc.

But at the same time, and i know in some people's eyes this will mean VERY little since i'm such a n00b, you could help a million people and have a million thanks but if you have a bad attitude towards anyone it makes you look bad. the people who just keep thanking you are thanking you b/c they want what you have, not b/c you're "being nice".

Not saying this specifically about anyone here b/c i'm not familiar enough with any of your postings to comment, but just going by what i've seen occasionally on this site and others like it (although, there's none quite as great as ppcgeeks!)

stevedog1 01-19-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattemer (Post 651920)
(although, there's none quite as great as ppcgeeks!)

There sure isn't!

andyandmarlys 01-19-2009 05:43 PM

Not that I really want to get into a pissing match here.... My side of this is that in order to be the best community possible, people need to be able to both 1. use the search and sticky feature... and 2. ALSO FEEL FREE TO ASK FOR HELP without feeling like they are going to get ridiculed for not knowing.

I don't spend all day on these forums... use them as a resource as I need... help if I can... and occasionally ask a question. I just don't think it is OK to B**** someone out just because they don't know.

As a career educator, I don't see how people get their kicks off bullying others around... I see it in the schools that I have taught.. and I see it here.. As far as I know... could be the same people...

YES.. People should get used to searching and reading FAQ...

NO.. People don't need to be reamed for not-knowing something... IF a person chooses to neglect the advice after politely being asked.. go ahead and ream... but I think a PM would be far more useful... and would cause less forum clutter....

Sure... I don't post as much as other people who have been on here for a couple years... but how many of my posts are negative, rude, disrespectful, or a waste of forum space?

Back on topic... I am very happy with how the latest touch response has both a vibrate before... and AFTER function... Almost makes it feel like you are pushing a button in...similar to actually pressing a key on a keyboard. If you haven't tried it (the after release feature) it is worth a go... I didn't think it would make a big difference.. but I really like it...

stevedog1 01-19-2009 05:53 PM

You're going way overboard here. No one got reamed, or bullied.

And when you first sign up, there are Forum rules that need to be read and obeyed. You don't obey them and other users are likely going to mess with ya. I for one will indeed point it out to you, whether you like it or not. If it comes in a form of a tease then so be it, and get over it. But in no way was the OP "Reamed" or "Bullied".

Take a Gander at the Rules that your supposed to read before you post, here:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

If you don't like the rules then too bad, you need to get used to them.

andyandmarlys 01-19-2009 06:06 PM

Ok... If you want to point our rules....

I particularly like rule #4 ---

Be a friend. be friendly... be nice.. whatever suits you... ie. drop the negativity, and we'll all get along.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING PPCGeeks.com Rules
Since we at first had a no rules policy, I will try and keep the short and sweet.

1. No curse words. And dont try to fool the Swear Filter. Instead use

2. No Posting of Adult Material without "*18+ Only*" at the beginning of the title. And all 18+ Only posts go into the Off Topic Forum.

3. Please use the search feature before starting new threads. Odds are we have already discussed your probelm.

4. No Flaming anyone, we are all friends.

5. Posting of Illegal software is not permitted. So DON'T do it. See this post.

6. We have a warning/banning system built in and we will use it.

Just follow these few simple rules and enjoy!

stevedog1 01-19-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyandmarlys (Post 652056)
Ok... If you want to point our rules....

I particularly like rule #4 ---

4. No Flaming anyone, we are all friends.

Please point out where the OP was Flamed? or Bullied? or was Reamed (ouch!)?

You're going wayyyy overboard here.

andyandmarlys 01-19-2009 06:25 PM

v., flamed, flamĀ·ing, flames.
v.intr.

To burn brightly; blaze.

To color or flash suddenly: cheeks that flamed with embarrassment.

Informal. To make insulting criticisms or remarks, as on a computer network, to incite anger.

"I attached the program for you in my first post. I don't understand what is so complicated. Do you want us to install it for you too??"

I'd take that one to be insulting... appearantly the op did too..

Cited by OP as Rude " no need to be rude with your "do you want us to insall it for you" comment."

This one was directed at me... "and your opinion matters why? I've helped more people than you read threads. So, go play hero at home, where someone cares." and I am pretty sure that was intended to incite anger...

Steve... lets just be nice thats all. Although I haven't ever met you in person, I don't think you get that sometimes you come across as brash... especially to newbies... Thanks for you helpful comments, but please keep things positive.

stevedog1 01-19-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyandmarlys (Post 652090)
v., flamed, flamĀ·ing, flames.
v.intr.

To burn brightly; blaze.

To color or flash suddenly: cheeks that flamed with embarrassment.

Informal. To make insulting criticisms or remarks, as on a computer network, to incite anger.

"I attached the program for you in my first post. I don't understand what is so complicated. Do you want us to install it for you too??"

I'd take that one to be insulting... appearantly the op did too..

Cited by OP as Rude " no need to be rude with your "do you want us to insall it for you" comment."

This one was directed at me... "and your opinion matters why? I've helped more people than you read threads. So, go play hero at home, where someone cares." and I am pretty sure that was intended to incite anger...

Steve... lets just be nice thats all. Although I haven't ever met you in person, I don't think you get that sometimes you come across as brash... especially to newbies... Thanks for you helpful comments, but please keep things positive.

Thank you for your insight Andy.

I'll be sure to keep you in mind the next time there's a redundant thread. I'll try to make sure I don't hurt anyone's feelings by asking if they want us to install stuff for them. I do understand that some people are just a little too sensitive, and I apologize if I made anyone cry.

On a side note, the OP got their question answered, and given the program by me in the very second post of this thread. There is no other reason to keep this thread open.

Mods. Please Close when you get the chance. Thanks.

Biker1 01-19-2009 07:18 PM

I understand both points of view. I don't want to speak on anyone's behalf but maybe if the op didn't know what a cab was or how to install it, he could just ask and he would be helped. Maybe he was asking in his own way because if he didn't know what a cab was, he wouldn't know to ask how to install it because he would not have known what it was, or something like that :)I still have issues installing cab and zip files etc. but finally getting it. I know that when I troubleshoot landline issues with people over the phone, I have to start with the simple things like "is the power cord plugged in?" etc. because most of the people I am troubleshooting with know nothing about phones which is why the are calling me in the first place. Same with PPCs. Just some thoughts on the subject.Like I once heard before...."No question is stupid if the one asking does not know the answer." or words to that effect.

HBOOT 01-19-2009 07:23 PM

good one Steve

ou2mame 01-19-2009 07:31 PM

this has seriously gotten way out of hand. he wasn't "flamed". the op just hadn't read the manual, read anything on this forum, searched for anything, or tried to answer any of his own questions. i don't think he has even touched his phone enough to know what it is yet. literally. and that's my problem. before you try to make the phone do something that it wasn't meant to do out of the box, you should probably use the phone and figure out what it CAN do. people come on here and ask which rom is best before they know how to specify where the pictures go after they take them. its an *** backwards approach to life, and it clutters the forum with absolute dribble. these questions can be answered by using the search option, and if you read enough things, pretty much every post by somebody who just registered is most likely considered common knowledge to the rest of us. people expect to be spoonfed information without taking the time to aquire it themselves, and not everybody is going to be more than eager to hold somebody's hand while they take a walk through the programs section of windows mobile.

andyandmarlys 01-19-2009 07:38 PM

Maybe we should have a newbie section of the forum where newbie questions are encouraged? Might be the solution to this debacle.

stevedog1 01-19-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyandmarlys (Post 652234)
Maybe we should have a newbie section of the forum where newbie questions are encouraged? Might be the solution to this debacle.

Thats a great idea. A place solely for the discouragement of reading, researching, and self motivation. Cant wait.

Perhaps even you could be the one to answer all of the questions in that section as well? If so, then I'm all for it.

ou2mame 01-19-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedog1 (Post 652270)
Thats a great idea. A place solely for the discouragement of reading, researching, and self motivation. Cant wait.

Perhaps even you could be the one to answer all of the questions in that section as well? If so, then I'm all for it.

LOL that's great.

hibby50 01-19-2009 08:51 PM

well glad thats over

stevedog1 01-19-2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 652402)
well glad thats over

Hibby. You're my favorite 13 year old! :mrgreen:

Never had to go through any of this with you!