PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

poopsie is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Push GMail - Different services evaluated

What I do right now is use Nueva Sync for the Calender and contacts. They have on their website that they are also working on email and maybe even notes, so email could be coming from them also. All in one fix for me on that. But, for my email I use Flexmail and it connects to Gmail great. It will give you "push" but from the imap stance. It is imap4? which makes it work basically like push. My emails come to me within 5 seconds of them reaching gmail. Also when you delete an email from gmail it deletes it in flexmail with seconds also. Worth a try, it works great for me-
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickBahTech View Post
Yup I've used several of those too. No one good solution as of yet. I need to manage three different GMail addresses, so I still forward to Mail2Web for notification, then manually send/receive the mailbox I need.
I've had great success backing up my calendar with Goo/Ogg sync, but no matter what service I've had nothing but headaches trying to back up contacts. Not only disappearing contacts and duplicates, but information getting stripped from contacts too. I'm a little jealous. My wife has a Blackberry, and Google came up with a dedicated sync app for THEM.

Even if you don't use the email, I would highly recommend a Mail2Web Exchange account. It's by FAR the easiest OTA solution I've used. Even the free account should give you Contacts/Calendar/Task Sync. You don't even need to install anything, just use the built in Activesync. I once "accidentally" hard reset my phone waiting for my wife at the mall (stupid overclocking), and I had all my PIM replaced in about five minutes. No desktop needed.

Used with a Google sync solution you'd have some great redundancy.
Thanks for the suggestion, I do actually have OTA sync enable for Windows Live and it works great. The one I would really like though is gmail I'm double syncing my contacts and calendar already with my desktop and google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
What I do right now is use Nueva Sync for the Calender and contacts. They have on their website that they are also working on email and maybe even notes, so email could be coming from them also. All in one fix for me on that. But, for my email I use Flexmail and it connects to Gmail great. It will give you "push" but from the imap stance. It is imap4? which makes it work basically like push. My emails come to me within 5 seconds of them reaching gmail. Also when you delete an email from gmail it deletes it in flexmail with seconds also. Worth a try, it works great for me-
Thanks. Yes I agress nuevasync works great for calendar and contacts, I use it everyday myself. I hope they start doing email soon but I suspect it'z going to be a while.

As for flexmail, is this the one you mean - http://webis.net/products_info.php?p_id=mail
I'll download the trial and give it a shot but I'd like a free solution ideally

EDIT: I tried the flexmail trial, but there's no way to restrict message downloads to the last x days etc. So it's trying to download 10000+ messages, there didn't seem to be a way to change that.. Do you know how to do that?

Last edited by the7thson; 12-12-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

poopsie is becoming a great contributor

I really don't know of any way to restrict the messages to so many days. I keep my gmail inbox empty so it isn't a problem for me but I can see it being an issue for others. I am anxiously awaiting Nueva Sync to be my all in one solution, hopefully soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO / TP2
Carrier: Sprint

DruHill is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thson View Post
EDIT: I tried the flexmail trial, but there's no way to restrict message downloads to the last x days etc. So it's trying to download 10000+ messages, there didn't seem to be a way to change that.. Do you know how to do that?
You can set the option to download mail for x amount of days, how much data to download per message, whether or not you want to download attachments, max size of an attachment to download etc.

To set these options, go to the "Account Settings" for the IMAP account you'd like to edit. For my folder view, I'll go to my Gmail account folder, tap and hold the folder until the context menu comes up, then select Account Settings.

Once the Settings:Server Folders window opens, select Folders in the Server Settings section. For your particular account, you will see a list of folders such as Drafts, INBOX, Sent, etc. Select INBOX then click the Details button at the bottom. The second option "Only mail from the last x days" is what you're looking for. Set that value to your preference.

You'll notice some icons toward the bottom of the window, click each of those to become familiar with the additional folder options Flexmail provides.

I've been using FLexmail for about 6 months and am quite happy with it. I just wish it could be integrated into WinMo a little better, especially since I have a Touch Pro and like using the features of TF3D.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond - WM 6.5 - Telus 1.04.05

robotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Another satisfied Seven Beta user here. Very simple and I get my gmail pretty much instantly. The last month or so it has been a bit flakey (5-10minute delay) but it seems to be working properly again. As for stability, I have never had any problems with the program itself since using it from early this summer. It's also low on resources and does not affect my battery life too much (shaves off a few hours at most) and I have it pushing from 20 hours a day.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

oingo123 is a n00b

I have used SEVEN (sprint mobile email) for over 3 years and think it is great. Lag time has been seconds. It is the only service I have found that can convert everything into push email from their servers.
Hotmail
Gmail
Imap
Outlook
Additionally, you can let SEVEN read your old pop accounts to simulate psuedo push email - let their servers check your pop email & only push it when you have something new. It is better than having your device do pop.

That said, I have noticed some battery drain on the HTC. If I remove it from the windows\startup folder and reboot the phone does last longer. I'm not sure which push email solution (if any) will give the best battery life.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

sirtronics is a n00b

i hvae tried a bunch of other services and I found Emoze to be the best.
I run the desktop client and have it push anything that lands in my inbox to my Diamond.
Take under 5 second and the benefit i have is no JUNK e-mail because it has been filtered by my desktop.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond - WM 6.5 - Telus 1.04.05

robotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I didn't have too much luck with Emoze, tried it for a week or so but sometimes the mail would be delayed up to 10 minutes. It also used much more resources than seven. As for junk, I only get it once in a blue moon with gmail.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: nunha
Carrier: sprint

manoosie is just getting started

keep trying new clients I am anxious read your conclusions
Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900 / Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

vilord is just getting started

I've been using mobipush for the past month or so on and off (not by my choice, it seems to just stop syncing to gmail randomly...) gave up on it a few days ago.

Nuevasync doesn't do email sync, but it does contact and calendar sync... and they fixed the issue with "suggested contacts" so it will only sync your "my contacts" list.

Emoze runs on a desktop so its out for me... and any client that runs on the phone connecting to gmail's imap server is also out, as vzw blocks imap with their cheaper internet... Not to mention i don't like having too much junk running on the phone... I guess i'll just wait for nuevasync's imap portal

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond