PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 03:49 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile
Threadstarter

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Push GMail - Different services evaluated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf View Post
seven is a fantastic program that usually delivers my email within 10s, but it kills my battery. bonus points for being able to set non-delivery times, as i dont want to be woken up at 4am by my cc company telling me my statement is ready
Not sure why seven didn't work for me, I'll try it out one more time. Yes having a schedule for push is an absolute must, I think most push services allow you to set a schedule.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: What's PPC?
Carrier: Ser

black7 is a n00b

I've been using SEVEN for a long time. Works great, and though it does affect the battery life a bit, it's not too bad in my experience. My phone through the whole day and I have 3 accounts syncing through SEVEN (1 gmail, and 2 branded email though gmail). I sync contacts with gmail, which also syncs with my Exchange server so I have multiple locations which have my contacts (make me feel safer knowing I have a 'backup').

Sprint's MAIL is rebranded SEVEN Persnal Edition.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by black7 View Post
I've been using SEVEN for a long time. Works great, and though it does affect the battery life a bit, it's not too bad in my experience. My phone through the whole day and I have 3 accounts syncing through SEVEN (1 gmail, and 2 branded email though gmail). I sync contacts with gmail, which also syncs with my Exchange server so I have multiple locations which have my contacts (make me feel safer knowing I have a 'backup').

Sprint's MAIL is rebranded SEVEN Persnal Edition.
How quickly does your email get pushed? Mine is taking around 10-15 minutes to show up on the phone
Old 12-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Startac --> your phone ---> HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

pjsnyc is keeping up the good workpjsnyc is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to pjsnyc Send a message via AIM to pjsnyc Send a message via MSN to pjsnyc Send a message via Yahoo to pjsnyc Send a message via Skype™ to pjsnyc

My vote goes to pusheffect. The only downside I've experienced with it so far is when someone sends you an email with an attachment. When that email gets forwarded to your sprint sms address (xxxyyyzzzz@messaging.sprintpcs.com), it gets bounced because the sms system cant handle attachments - so basically it never gets pushed. If gmail had the option to strip attachments from messages before forwarding, this wouldn't be a problem. What I did was set poutlook to send/receive every hour or so incase someone sent me an email with an attachment...unless someone knows of a fix for this?

Emails without attachments are NO PROBLEM - sometimes I get the notification on my phone BEFORE its available through the gmail web interface! Plus its a process that doesnt kill battery life. It only gets triggered to send/receive when you receive the forwarded sms.

EDIT - forgot to mention how I sync my contacts and calendars.
I use nuevasync for it. First - I backed everything up of course. Since this was going to be the first time I synced up with my google contacts, I knew that there were going to be duplicates and whatnot. Boy was I right. Nevertheless, I wanted to make it work, so I just rolled up my sleeves, activesynced it back to my computer and did all the merging, editting, and deleting there. Once done - I activesynced back to my Diamond. Everything seems to be working fine now - google contacts got rid of their erroneousness too once I was done. Hope this helps!

Last edited by pjsnyc; 12-10-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus Mobility

loginatnine is just getting started

Anyone uses funambol?Seems like the perfect service.....
Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: What's PPC?
Carrier: Ser

black7 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7thson View Post
How quickly does your email get pushed? Mine is taking around 10-15 minutes to show up on the phone
Generally it's been working pretty well. I had gmail to also send me a SMS notice for every email that came in just for testing and they both arrived usually within a min of each other or less. If I were sitting in front of the computer watching incoming mail, I generally see it hit my phone within a few mins of it showing up in my inbox as well, sometimes less. There has been instances where it did take up to 10 mins for it to reach my phone, but its been rare and has not happened lately.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
N00b

ihbsbA is a n00b

Quote:
Same problem for me. It was taking 8 minutes to receive mail that I would receive within 20 seconds on the server. I asked support about it and they told me that was "normal" for push. Obviously we know that's not true, but that's what I was told. I use PushEffect with very good success.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
-Windows Live for Mobile works amazingly well for push email but it only supports hotmail accounts. A+ for pushing hotmail (including custom domains. if you own your own domain, point the MX record to hotmail and it will push it for you). Doesn't do gmail though
all you have to do is auto forward all your Gmail to windows live and they will push the emails for you!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
all you have to do is auto forward all your Gmail to windows live and they will push the emails for you!
That's genius! I can't believe I never thought of that!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=10
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

JickBahTech is keeping up the good workJickBahTech is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to JickBahTech

Yup I've used several of those too. No one good solution as of yet. I need to manage three different GMail addresses, so I still forward to Mail2Web for notification, then manually send/receive the mailbox I need.
I've had great success backing up my calendar with Goo/Ogg sync, but no matter what service I've had nothing but headaches trying to back up contacts. Not only disappearing contacts and duplicates, but information getting stripped from contacts too. I'm a little jealous. My wife has a Blackberry, and Google came up with a dedicated sync app for THEM.

Even if you don't use the email, I would highly recommend a Mail2Web Exchange account. It's by FAR the easiest OTA solution I've used. Even the free account should give you Contacts/Calendar/Task Sync. You don't even need to install anything, just use the built in Activesync. I once "accidentally" hard reset my phone waiting for my wife at the mall (stupid overclocking), and I had all my PIM replaced in about five minutes. No desktop needed.

Used with a Google sync solution you'd have some great redundancy.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond