PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Black Battery Cover

The battery cover was just getting to me. White would have been fine, black would have been fine, I could have even dealt with a gray cover.. Not burgundy or whatever the hell that color is.

So this is what I did. Painted it with some paint.

It's more detailed than that, but anyone who has done any rocketry or models should know how to paint something nicely. This will hold me over till there are some decent battery covers out.

***PLEASE BE SURE YOU OR WHOEVER YOU HAVE DO THIS FOR YOU IS EXPERIENCED !***
***DO A SMALL TEST SPRAY ON SOME OTHER PLASTIC ITEM TO SEE IF IT LOOKS GOOD AND HAS THE FEEL YOU WANT***
***DONT USE GLOSS FINISH PAINT. IT TURNS OUT STICKY***
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2705.jpg (68.4 KB, 742 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg IMG_2704.jpg (20.3 KB, 620 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by marcus_cruz; 10-07-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

JoJoCal19 is a n00b
Re: Sprint Black Battery Cover

Thats pretty cool that you did that but... I simply cant understand why everyone is making an absolute huge deal over the battery cover. Its not like its flaming pink or seafoam green or purple. And I quote someone who I dont know and cant give credit to, "Do you sit there and look at the back of the phone?"

But, can you share the brand of paint? Might be interesting if I want to mod it later and make it some other color.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

doctorPDA is becoming a great contributor

JoJoCal19, the look of the device is a very big deal to some, as you can see from all of the posts. I have been waiting for many many many years for a CDMA PDA/phone with a VGA screen and I am very hesitant to get this amazing device because of the unappealing color. I think I'll wait until I see the device in person or until a black replacement back comes out for it.

Painting it sounds extreme marcus_cruz, though I definitely envy your determination. Does the paint alter the "soft" texture of the back???
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Diamond

hempy is just getting started

I'd be very wary of painting anything that gets as much hand-time as a phone. Even automotive paint/clear comes off of things that are handled too much.

It looks good, just expect to be touching it up at some point (or a lot, depending on the paint).
Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 PM
zo7
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc pro 2
Carrier: sprint

zo7 is a n00b

That don't look so bad
Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 PM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus_cruz View Post
The battery cover was just getting to me. White would have been fine, black would have been fine, I could have even dealt with a gray cover.. Not burgundy or whatever the hell that color is.

So this is what I did. Painted it with some plastic paint.

It's more detailed than that, but anyone who has done any rocketry or models should know how to paint something nicely. This will hold me over till there are some decent battery covers out.
Thanks for posting. No offense (seriously and sincerely), but anyway you can post a photo that is in focus, and isn't backlit?

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

marcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmarcus_cruz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
Thanks for posting. No offense (seriously and sincerely), but anyway you can post a photo that is in focus, and isn't backlit?

Thanks again!
I will post some nice images as soon as I get a chance this weekend.
working 50+ hours plus getting a new bad arse phone is alot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempy View Post
I'd be very wary of painting anything that gets as much hand-time as a phone. Even automotive paint/clear comes off of things that are handled too much.

It looks good, just expect to be touching it up at some point (or a lot, depending on the paint).
If my the paint doesnt come off on my motorcycle at 185+ in florida's elements, "heat, sand" then it shouldnt be too bad. It's factory finish paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorPDA View Post
JoJoCal19, the look of the device is a very big deal to some, as you can see from all of the posts. I have been waiting for many many many years for a CDMA PDA/phone with a VGA screen and I am very hesitant to get this amazing device because of the unappealing color. I think I'll wait until I see the device in person or until a black replacement back comes out for it.

Painting it sounds extreme marcus_cruz, though I definitely envy your determination. Does the paint alter the "soft" texture of the back???
I have painted all my laptops, my dedicated linux lappy is pearl white. There are actually people that make big money custom painting phones and such.
Yes it has a powder/satin finish.
I like it, but to each his own. When my friends ask me to paint their things for them, some of them ask for chrome, or glitter, or whatever. Customizing our phones is a multi-million $ industry. It's Just there arent many options for our phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
Thats pretty cool that you did that but... I simply cant understand why everyone is making an absolute huge deal over the battery cover. Its not like its flaming pink or seafoam green or purple. And I quote someone who I dont know and cant give credit to, "Do you sit there and look at the back of the phone?"

But, can you share the brand of paint? Might be interesting if I want to mod it later and make it some other color.
The brand of paint is colorrite i think. It's a urethane based paint. Dont use acrylic if you try this your selves ! it will feel sticky all the time.
The paint I use is a semi-flat black with pearlescent specs in it. "diamond effect"
Old 09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
A Geek For Eons

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I will post some nice images as soon as I get a chance this weekend.
working 50+ hours plus getting a new bad arse phone is alot of work.
Excellent - thanks in advance. Again, absolutely no offense intended. I'm considering painting mine also.

Thanks for the other tips re paint, etc.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Diamond

hempy is just getting started

Quote:
If my the paint doesnt come off on my motorcycle at 185+ in florida's elements, "heat, sand" then it shouldnt be too bad. It's factory finish paint.
Hope it holds up. Everything that I've done (alarm remotes, pc mice, etc) looks pretty worn after a few months of everyday use. They were all from leftover paint, so it wasn't a loss; but HoK isn't cheap.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 PM
A Geek For Eons

OK, some research:

1. The type of plastic the back is made from is PC-ABS (aka ABS-PC, ABS+PC)
2. It appears to be easy to paint
3. Paints - Krylon Fusion seems to be a common choice for people painting computer cases, etc.

Any comments or experience to share? TIA!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond