PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero & Moment
Carrier: Sprint

dream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Charger provides less current while streaming.

First I would like to say I have searched and searched but cannot find an answer so hear goes...

Has anyone else noticed that the charger puts out ~420ma while streaming music or video. Without streaming the charger can put out the normal ~866ma. Is there a reason for this. I normally stream music while at work and am in a low signal area, and my battery still depletes while on the charger. This has become very frustrating ... and if it matters I'm running Juicy 2.5 with the Verizon radio.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: Charger provides less current while streaming.

yes. that's because your device is using the charger to power its self. and the left over to charge the battery.

its normal. when your device is charging it does not run off battery UNLESS your draw exceeds the charging current.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

dream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on repdream_phyre is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I knew it had to be the obvious. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop

The stock charger supplies more than enough peak output current to run the entire device while still trickle charging your battery. What the problem is, your Diamond gets real hot while streaming and plugged in. This means the battery is smoking hot too. There is a built in thermal protection circuit in your battery that trips at a threshold temperature and cuts off the charger to prevent a possible explosion. Thus your device eventually dies.

Try doing what you are doing now again, but use something to actively cool the device while streaming. You will find that the battery will stay charging the whole time and will eventually hit 100%. A simple fan MAY do the trick, but more than likely wont cool it enough, unless you are directing cold air to it.

I drive truck, and my Mogul does the same thing. The amber light begins flashing, indicating the charger is disabled/overheated. I just put it on the dash, turn on the defrost vents to pull cold air from outside and it keeps cool and charges well.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

^^ that too, heat will stop charging circuit. but also like i said when charging. part of that current goes to running the device. thats why a charger that puts out 1000 mAh only uses 850~ to charge while the rest to run the device.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

makes sense. My phone does get extremely hot while streaming. More hot than any other time. My touch got warm but was able to keep the battery charged while streaming.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond