PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Solution on delay answer when data on (no hard reset needed!) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=40427)

snovvman 10-14-2008 04:56 PM

Solution on delay answer when data on (no hard reset needed!)

I had the same problem as many others: When data is on (active or dormant, EVDO or 1xRTT (dormant), it takes many seconds for the calls to be answered, the phone keeps ringing even though I pressed the answer key.

It does appear that one of the tweak applications created the problem, at least for some. After much research, this may be it...

Take a look at your HKLM/Comm/ConnMgr/Planner/Settings/SuspendResume

It is a multi-sz value and should be #777. If it shows anything like ~GPRS or something containing GPRS, change it back to #777 and soft reset.

When I used PHM Regedit to correct this, it seemed to crash (the reg editor never crashed before now). I had to use SKTool's regedit. I will create an export if this will help you.

Once I changed it back to #777, I can answer the call immediately when data is on, time and time again. Prior to this, there was a significant delay.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Edit: I also noticed that, with this correction, after the call, the data goes back to dormant rather than disconnected.

JaxDreamFunding 10-14-2008 05:00 PM

Re: Possible solution on delay answer when data on (no hard reset needed!)

I will try this and see if it help! My fingers are crossed...

JaxDreamFunding 10-14-2008 05:02 PM

I made the change with Resco RegEdit and it did not crash...will let you know how the answer problems works after this...

cappy 10-14-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovvman (Post 458469)
I had the same problem as many others: When data is on (active or dormant, EVDO or 1xRTT (dormant), it takes many seconds for the calls to be answered, the phone keeps ringing even though I pressed the answer key.

It does appear that one of the tweak applications created the problem, at least for some. After much research, this may be it...

It is a multi-sz value and should be #777. If it shows anything like ~GPRS or something containing GPRS, change it back to #777 and soft reset.

When I used PHM Regedit to correct this, it seemed to crash (the reg editor never crashed before now). I had to use SKTool's regedit. I will create an export if this will help you.

Once I changed it back to #777, I can answer the call immediately when data is on, time and time again. Prior to this, there was a significant delay.

Edit: I also noticed that, with this correction, after the call, the data goes back to dormant rather than disconnected.

Very good Snovvman. All of the information that I have been gathering tells me that you have found it, including your last comment about the data connection going back on. That was one of the symptoms. You found what no one else has and have been able to reproduce the solution. I cannot try it because I did already reset, but I hope others will try it and report back.

Edit: I think I am going to re-install Advanced Config and see what settings may be the culprit. There is an active thread on Advanced Config at XDA. You may want to let Schapps know what you found once you get some confirmation that this has solved others' answer problems.

Edit2: I installed and ran Advanced Config. It did not change the #777 value and there is nothing obvious under the phone settings. If it is in Advanced Config, it is probably a value that the user changes manually.

snovvman 10-14-2008 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappy (Post 458508)
Very good Snovvman. All of the information that I have been gathering tells me that you have found it, including your last comment about the data connection going back on. That was one of the symptoms. You found what no one else has and have been able to reproduce the solution. I cannot try it because I did already reset, but I hope others will try it and report back.

Edit: I think I am going to re-install Advanced Config and see what settings may be the culprit. There is an active thread on Advanced Config at XDA. You may want to let Schapps know what you found once you get some confirmation that this has solved others' answer problems.

Edit2: I installed and ran Advanced Config. It did not change the #777 value and there is nothing obvious under the phone settings. If it is in Advanced Config, it is probably a value that the user changes manually.

Thanks for your help cappy. After I asked you for those values, I realized I had another Diamond in my car. After comparing the two's registry, it was obvious that GPRS did not belong. I came to that key because of all the posts I read at XDA. Some of the people got close, but never found the link. Clearly, this will only work for CDMA phones. I do hope it works for others. If this is shown to work, I will post at XDA.

BTW, try changing the timout value under "Connections" in Advanced Config. That may be when the registry gets changed.

cappy 10-14-2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovvman (Post 458592)
Thanks for your help cappy.
BTW, try changing the timout value under "Connections" in Advanced Config. That may be when the registry gets changed.

There was no timeout setting under Data Connections, but I toggled each setting, one at a time, and reset. Did the same with Phone settings. No change to the #777 field. Also looked down the entire list of settings and nothing obvious jumped out. Schapps will know. I also checked for the problem again with a couple of incoming calls with Data On. Works fine. Once you get a few responses from others who have the problem now, you will know for sure.

snovvman 10-14-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cappy (Post 458644)
There was no timeout setting under Data Connections, but I toggled each setting, one at a time, and reset. Did the same with Phone settings. No change to the #777 field. Also looked down the entire list of settings and nothing obvious jumped out. Schapps will know. I also checked for the problem again with a couple of incoming calls with Data On. Works fine. Once you get a few responses from others who have the problem now, you will know for sure.

In Advanced Config, choose "Menu" (right soft key), then "More Settings", then "Connections". Check the box and set it to a time of your choosing.

In this post, you indicated you used Advanced Config to set the timeout, so I thought you knew where it was.

Let me know. Thanks.

cappy 10-14-2008 07:22 PM

Bingo! That was it. Yes, I did know, but too many things to remember. Anyway, I made the change and it changed the SuspenseResume setting to GPRS.... Made a call to the phone with data on and the delayed answer was back! Changed back to #777 and it works fine again. I think that the guesswork is gone. This is the ticket. Change back to #777 and all should be well. Doing this does uncheck the Connection timeout. Can't have it both ways. Good job.

JaxDreamFunding 10-14-2008 11:17 PM

I tested this this evening...and it works. I have had several phone calls and after applying this modification and all of my calls have answered immediately -- NO DELAY. Excellent fine!!! Thanks!

dallastx 10-15-2008 01:12 AM

Do yall not have the ignore button issue? Where if you press the ignore button it dosent do anything but mute the call...You can keep pressing it as many times as you want and it want send the called to voicemail..Also if you press it, you cant get off that screen until the call hangs up or goes to VM. I checked the registry didnt see anythign strange..still saw #777. One thing i did notice when i turned of data on phone and turned back on...it start working...Im trying to reproduce this problem so i can figure out what is causing it..I know its not just my phone, this is my second Diamond. Anyone else sometime or all the time have Ignore button issue?

nuguy 10-15-2008 10:59 AM

In very limmited testing it appears this also fixes the same issue on the titan!

THANK YOU!!!

Mr. X 10-15-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

it should say #777 by default unless your running a rom that doesnt have the GSM chit cleaned out and is not carrirer provisioned corredtly ;)

cornelious2 10-15-2008 11:20 AM

when I view that entry on stock sprint all I see is

23 00 37 00 37 00 37 00 00 00 00 00

Mr. X 10-15-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornelious2 (Post 459461)
when I view that entry on stock sprint all I see is

23 00 37 00 37 00 37 00 00 00 00 00

thats hex for #777

silversx80 10-15-2008 12:12 PM

OK, I see:
7E 00 47 00 50 00 52 00
53 00 21 00 00 00 00 00

Should I change that to the above mentioned?

Mr. X 10-15-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silversx80 (Post 459562)
OK, I see:
7E 00 47 00 50 00 52 00
53 00 21 00 00 00 00 00

Should I change that to the above mentioned?

change the options ot display values in decimal. then see what it reads.

silversx80 10-15-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 459568)
change the options ot display values in decimal. then see what it reads.

Ah ha, ~GPRS!

Changing... thanks

snovvman 10-15-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 459453)
it should say #777 by default unless your running a rom that doesnt have the GSM chit cleaned out and is not carrirer provisioned corredtly ;)

No, Advanced Config is writing to that value when timeout setting is altered, causing problems for many.

Mr. X 10-15-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snovvman (Post 459577)
No, Advanced Config is writing to that value when timeout setting is altered, causing problems for many.

thats why i dont use advanced config, half the tweaks dont work as they are for GSM.

i just import my reg tweaks. that way i dont have to clean up the mess some ofthe tweaking apps make.

Mr. X 10-15-2008 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a CAB installer that resets "SuspendResume" to #777 and sets "CacheTime" to 60

Cab updated, fixed error in reg setting.

Thanks to G10 for catching it.

Drybonz 10-15-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo_X (Post 459597)
Here is a CAB installer that resets "SuspendResume" to #777 and sets "CacheTime" to 60

Thanks everyone, the answer delay thing was driving me crazy.

Thanks for the cab Juggalo.

joebagofdonuts 10-17-2008 09:32 PM

Re: Solution on delay answer when data on (no hard reset needed!)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU if this works.
This has bee driving me nuts also.

It worked THANKS, but does anyone else have the problem with the the phone just lighting up for the first two rings and not actually ringing. That only leaves me 3 three rings till Telus message center takes over.

ocbizlaw 10-18-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Worked like a charm. Thanks very much.

Success100 10-20-2008 11:50 AM

regedit works great. thanz guys

tobeychris 10-20-2008 12:40 PM

^95% of the useful advanced config edits are already in all the custom roms anyways.
Installing it can actually lower your performance.. just a thought.

Success100 10-20-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeychris (Post 465695)
^95% of the useful advanced config edits are already in all the custom roms anyways.
Installing it can actually lower your performance.. just a thought.

im already using diamond tweak not advanced config and this option was not changed

scidmail 10-30-2008 01:50 PM

Can anyone tell me how to see the display in decimal format in Total Commander. I see a string like SilverSX80 saw, but I don't have the option on the item to switch between hex and decimal.

cornelious2 10-30-2008 01:57 PM

change your caclulator in windows to scientific and you can easily convert from dec to hex and back again.

scidmail 10-30-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornelious2 (Post 485455)
change your caclulator in windows to scientific and you can easily convert from dec to hex and back again.

OK, I tried, but apparently I'm not smart enough to convert
23 00 37 00 37 00 37 00
5C 00 6E 00 00 00 00 00

into a decimal

Any help?

cornelious2 10-30-2008 02:52 PM

the first line is perfect change the second line to 00 00 00 00

edit**
and it was my bad its a hex to ascii conversion

shaggylive 10-30-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuguy (Post 459425)
In very limmited testing it appears this also fixes the same issue on the titan!

THANK YOU!!!

Ditto!!

I have often wondered which gprs & sim card reg entries we really need in there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scidmail (Post 485434)
Can anyone tell me how to see the display in decimal format in Total Commander. I see a string like SilverSX80 saw, but I don't have the option on the item to switch between hex and decimal.

I would recommend FdcSoft Task Manager (dotFred) and gsfinder+. I used to run totalcommander, but there's nothing it can do that the combo of the other cant. plus they do much more.

scidmail 10-30-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornelious2 (Post 485621)
the first line is perfect change the second line to 00 00 00 00

That solved my call answer delay (or unable to answer) problem when connected.

FYI to anyone else, I'd never changed the connection setting in Advanced Config, but I DID change them in Diamond Tweak, so apparently you can mess up the registry for this item there as well.

Barb

nico4k 10-30-2008 03:39 PM

I will give this a try on my mogul and see...

cappy 10-30-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scidmail (Post 485762)
That solved my call answer delay (or unable to answer) problem when connected.

FYI to anyone else, I'd never changed the connection setting in Advanced Config, but I DID change them in Diamond Tweak, so apparently you can mess up the registry for this item there as well.

Barb

I don't know about ACT 3.3, but in 3.2 these settings were changed automatically when installed.

scidmail 10-30-2008 04:25 PM

Diamond Tweak can mess it up too though. I don't have Advanced Config any more. After correcting the registry and making sure it worked, I went back into Diamond Tweak and selected disconnect after 1min (recommended setting). Performed a soft reset and tested by connecting to the internet and then calling myself. The delay/difficulty in answering was back. I then changed Diamond Tweak to Disable disconnection and did a soft reset. I tested again and it still would not pick up the call when connected to the internet. I had to go back into the registry and correct the entry. Now it answers correctly even when I'm connected to EVDO service.

Now my question is, if I have it check mail say every 4 hours will it disconnect the EVDO service in between the times it polls for new mail? If it does not disconnect, will this have an adverse affect on battery life?

Barb

cappy 10-30-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scidmail (Post 485915)
Diamond Tweak can mess it up too though. I don't have Advanced Config any more. After correcting the registry and making sure it worked, I went back into Diamond Tweak and selected disconnect after 1min (recommended setting). Performed a soft reset and tested by connecting to the internet and then calling myself. The delay/difficulty in answering was back. I then changed Diamond Tweak to Disable disconnection and did a soft reset. I tested again and it still would not pick up the call when connected to the internet. I had to go back into the registry and correct the entry. Now it answers correctly even when I'm connected to EVDO service.

Now my question is, if I have it check mail say every 4 hours will it disconnect the EVDO service in between the times it polls for new mail? If it does not disconnect, will this have an adverse affect on battery life?

Barb

The connection should go inactive, which will not affect battery life - most of the time. But you have to watch it. I have seen the connection stay active at times when it should have gone inactive. So I check the arrows from time to time. If they stay white when they should not be, I turn off the Data Connection manually.

scidmail 10-30-2008 04:57 PM

So, it's a trade off of missing calls or possibly running down the battery. ](*,)

shaggylive 10-30-2008 05:09 PM

no, just do the data disconnect reg tweak manually, or with Juggalo X's 60sec timout cab

cappy 10-30-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scidmail (Post 486001)
So, it's a trade off of missing calls or possibly running down the battery. ](*,)

Turning off the Data Connection will not disable the phone radio. You will still receive calls. And if you have to turn off the Data Connection to stop an active connection, you can always turn it right back on again if your email check does not turn it back on automatically.

scidmail 10-30-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 486035)
no, just do the data disconnect reg tweak manually, or with Juggalo X's 60sec timout cab

I installed Juggalo's cab file and I still get the delay answering (or I can't answer) if there's a data connection. Does that happen for anyone else?

The only way I can guarantee answering a call when there's a data connection is to manually return the registry to the point where it has no disconnect incorporated. Hence the reason for my earlier comment that either I cannot guarantee answering my calls, or I run the chance of running my battery down with a data connection that stays active. (even though it "should" go into the inactive state.)

Barb