PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does your data EVER turn off by itself/timeout (as it should)?

The data connection on my Diamond, once initiated by an application (PIE, Opera, PM, etc.), will stay "on" until soft reset or I turn it off manually.

It will go into dormant (gray arrows) and sometimes I see that they go solid for a while, but they NEVER turn off (arrow disappear, antenna reappear) on their own.

You might think that there is something running. There is not. I checked all the processes and running apps, and disabled weather, RSS, and everything else. If I manually turn off the data connection, it will not self iniitate (that is, no application is triggering the data to to start).

What is your experience? I know there is a reg tweak that supposed to change the timeout. Does that actually work for you?

I wonder what is causing it to stay on (or sending receiving).

Thanks
Old 10-12-2008, 09:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
Re: Does your data EVER turn off by itself/timeout (as it should)?

When you see the greyed out arrows, you're not transmitting/receiving, but you are connected. There may be a reg hack that will allow you to completely disconnect. I'm assuming that you don't have email or a weather app that you want checked at a regular interval. That's the biggest reason for the dormant connection

Old 10-12-2008, 10:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work

I have had the tweak to turn off Data Connection after one minute applied for a week through Advanced Config. It seemed to work.

Today I did a hard reset. Since then, once a program accesses the Internet, the arrows seem to always be displayed, even after the program no longer needs the connection.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
When you see the greyed out arrows, you're not transmitting/receiving, but you are connected. There may be a reg hack that will allow you to completely disconnect. I'm assuming that you don't have email or a weather app that you want checked at a regular interval. That's the biggest reason for the dormant connection
Yes, when the arrows are gray, it's in dormant mode. It it is not transmitting/receiving. However, after a timeout period of inactivity, the connection should close completely--arrows go away, antenna reappear. This is not happening, even though I have no application that is doing any sort of auto connect or polling. No email, no weather, no RSS, not Pocket Express, etc.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
I have had the tweak to turn off Data Connection after one minute applied for a week through Advanced Config. It seemed to work.

Today I did a hard reset. Since then, once a program accesses the Internet, the arrows seem to always be displayed, even after the program no longer needs the connection.
So are you indicating that now, after the reset, your data connection will stay "on"/dormant even when nothing else uses it?

I thought the default is 10 minutes. After 10 minutes of dormant, the connection should close. Mine is not.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

This is why the device has such bad battery life with the stock ROM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

RobbW is just getting started

Wow - while I was writing my post covering the same issue, it appears you posted the same problem. I hope someone can answer this for us as I am equally frustrated. Take a look at my post and see if it matches what you are referring to.

Cheers,

RobbW

P.S. For the record Tiberius, I'm using Juicy 2.4.1 and it doesn't seem to change anything unless I'm mistaken.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:23 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Problem is QuickGPS service will regularly bring databack up. Kill the QuickGPS service if you want data to shutdown and stay off on it's own. But GPS won't get assist any more.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Problem is QuickGPS service will regularly bring databack up. Kill the QuickGPS service if you want data to shutdown and stay off on it's own. But GPS won't get assist any more.
I stopped the QuickGPS service from starting automatically some time ago. Doesn't seem to be related. Problem persists.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post
Wow - while I was writing my post covering the same issue, it appears you posted the same problem. I hope someone can answer this for us as I am equally frustrated. Take a look at my post and see if it matches what you are referring to.

Cheers,

RobbW

P.S. For the record Tiberius, I'm using Juicy 2.4.1 and it doesn't seem to change anything unless I'm mistaken.
I think we're talking about the same. I will look in Advanced Config to see if I can find the setting Cappy talked about and give it a try.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond