PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   What's the Best Backup Program Before ROM Upgrade? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38998)

lxcivic4life 09-29-2008 05:02 PM

What's the Best Backup Program Before ROM Upgrade?

Hello everyone,

I flashed my ROM yesterday after backing up my files using Resco Backup. When I tried restoring my files Reco Backup kept freezing, so I had to reinstall everything back to my phone.

Is there a better backup program? Resco seems horrible to me.

Thanks

Geekcop 09-29-2008 05:14 PM

Re: What's the Best Backup Program Before ROM Upgrade?

I've been using SPB Backup with no issues at all (www.spbsoftwarehouse.com). I have it set to do a complete device b/u every Mon at 7AM. Just did a restore over the weekend after upgrading my 700WX to WM6. Worked like a charm

rainfreak 09-29-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 438932)
I've been using SPB Backup with no issues at all (www.spbsoftwarehouse.com). I have it set to do a complete device b/u every Mon at 7AM. Just did a restore over the weekend after upgrading my 700WX to WM6. Worked like a charm

I absolutely agree. I have been using spb Backup for at least a year and even after trying most of the others, would never give it up.

lxcivic4life 09-29-2008 05:59 PM

Hopefully they have a trail version of it, so I can try it out.

Thanks

foxnews 09-29-2008 06:02 PM

with SPB backkup, can I do the followings (before and after flashing rom):

1) backup and restore programs like garmin, Resco File explorer?
2) back up and restore cab program like TF3D configuration?
3) backup and restore individual file?
4) Registries?
5) clone rom/apps from one phone to another phone?

I want to save time by not having to reinstall apps after flalshing a rom.

tobeychris 09-29-2008 09:16 PM

PIM Backup.

I also don't believe there's anything that does what you want... which is the point of building your own ROM.

rollrsk8ter 09-29-2008 09:58 PM

For contacts, emails, calendar I found creating a free mail2web.com account and then using Direct Push allows you easily to have a running backup of that information. With all the flashing I have been doing, wish there was a backup utility that would save all my other settings

hibby50 09-29-2008 10:00 PM

sprite pim backup baby

lnchbx13 10-07-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekcop (Post 438932)

So when you use SPB Backup prior to a rom upgrade does it restore all of the programs that you have installed? If there is a quicker way to flash a new rom and be up and running again I would like to know. Right now it takes about 10 minutes to flash and then maybe 45 minutes to reinstall every program and restore all of the data associated with those programs including the keys and everything. I want to be able to flash the new roms when they come out, but it takes me too long to have to do it every other day.

rainfreak 10-07-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnchbx13 (Post 448858)
So when you use SPB Backup prior to a rom upgrade does it restore all of the programs that you have installed? If there is a quicker way to flash a new rom and be up and running again I would like to know. Right now it takes about 10 minutes to flash and then maybe 45 minutes to reinstall every program and restore all of the data associated with those programs including the keys and everything. I want to be able to flash the new roms when they come out, but it takes me too long to have to do it every other day.

From their site:

Can be restored after ROM upgrade (ROM upgrade mode)

And I can answer yes, it does work. It will restore registry settings, applications installed to main and/or internal storage, mail settings, etc.

The only drawback to it is if you mess something up and do a restore, you have restored the rom to amessed up state. That is why I do two backups per week, to cover my butt, for when I am playing with things that I shouldn't :)