PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Eventual upgraded FLASH MEMORY offerings.. ?

What gets me, is I am thinking they will eventually offer units with upgraded Internal Storage (FLASH memory), as they did with the Apple product.

First 4GB, then 8GB, 16gb, 32gb etc.. So every offering will make the previous less appealing and make the consumer yearn for the next offering..

So those with the first 4gb units to boast they have it first, will be left behind shortly after with those buying the 8gb units.. etc..

And if they follow some sort of timing, like 2 months after you bought yours, twice the storage at the same or slightly higher price is offerded, you're stuck with yours.. Unless you can offload it or have some dough to use up to buy the next one..

Any insiders know if this will be the case, or if only one (4gb) unit will be their only offering?

Grrr..

-CC

-edit by no2chem - fix post to reduce posts about RAM/ROM/Flash Memory

Last edited by clockcycle; 08-20-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

leongus is just getting started
Re: Eventual upgraded RAM offerings..

dude, i think you meant to say ROM, not RAM. 2 very different things.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
What gets me, is I am thinking they will eventually offer units with upgraded RAM, as they did with the Apple product.

First 4GB, then 8GB, 16gb, 32gb etc.. So every offering will make the previous less appealing and make the consumer yearn for the next offering..

So those with the first 4gb units to boast they have it first, will be left behind shortly after with those buying the 8gb units.. etc..

And if they follow some sort of timing, like 2 months after you bought yours, twice the ram at the same or slightly higher price is offerded, you're stuck with yours.. Unless you can offload it or have some dough to use up to buy the next one..

Any insiders know if this will be the case, or if only one (4gb) unit will be their only offering?

Grrr..

-CC
it would be unprecedented for a manufacturer to roll out upgraded device offering on a 2 month cycle... there's no way they would roll them out so quickly, it wouldnt even allow the devices to get a foothold in the market. but i do agree that HTC will probably start heading in this fixed memory vein soon and that this is their trojan horse to see how it goes over with the public....half the world owns an ipod so they surely know the biz model can WORK lol.

Best... Member... Ever...
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (Telus)
Carrier: Telus

CNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regularCNeufeld is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongus View Post
dude, i think you meant to say ROM, not RAM. 2 very different things.
Actually, I think he's talking about the Flash memory, which is different than the standard ROM...

Clint
Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Eventual upgraded FLASH MEMORY offerings.. ?

unlikely for sprint, because it would cause a problem for swaps etc. (im sure sprint realizes people would break phones to get +4gb).

however, due to the nature of the moviNAND chip, its just a matter of dropping in a new chip... no redesign required (its really just internal MMC). Which means an at home upgrade to 16GB is possible, if you had a hot air soldering station and were into soldering FBGAs.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Post Master General
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network

InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
unlikely for sprint, because it would cause a problem for swaps etc. (im sure sprint realizes people would break phones to get +4gb).

however, due to the nature of the moviNAND chip, its just a matter of dropping in a new chip... no redesign required (its really just internal MMC). Which means an at home upgrade to 16GB is possible, if you had a hot air soldering station and were into soldering FBGAs.
i was just thinking that exact same thing... on a much lower level lol
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

quarky42 is keeping up the good workquarky42 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to quarky42

Yeah flash memory.

Yeah they could do something like this. I think the time frame may have just been an example... not likely to be that short between devices.

Personally I wouldn't mind that because they would likely release the larger capacity phones once the flash became cheaper... and as larger size flash memory becomes available it has driven down the price of smaller sizes. At this point I can get an 8gb microsd card for $40... that blows me away at how small the card is, how large its capacity is and how little the price is... and I know it will get cheaper as the 16gb and 32gb cards come out.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile
Threadstarter

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post

Ooh, love the idea.. Brings me back to Atari / Commodore home grown upgrade days...

-CC

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond