PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Total n00b needing some guidance.

Hi all, I just found this site, and WOW!!! Lots of awesome info. I will be honest, I am in an information overload.

I have a Verizon XV6700 and I am wanting to build my own rom. Heres my concerns:

1. Is it possible that I can flash my own rom and ext rom, and if I ever needed to send my phone in for warranty can I flash it back to original OEM rom and ext rom?

2. I like using Verizons Wireless Web Sync. Can I still use this service with my own kitchen made rom?

3. Are there any "verizon" features that I wouldnt get by using my own kitchen cooked rom?

and lastly could you guys give me some direction as to where I can find a good guide for total n00bs that explain the whole process?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: Verizon

badfrog is a n00b
take a minute and read throught he apache forums, etc... and you will find answers to everything you asked.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Thanks badfrog. I found the guide that was in Helmi's kitched to be most awesome!! I printed it out in booklet format on my Xerox at work.

I have another question. Where can I find all the necessary "stuff" to load on my phone to get it back to stock form in case I need warranty service? I am on Verizon.

I still have alot to learn, and I wasnt able to find out if Verizon's wireless web sync would still work. I was thinking about flashing a cooked rom this weekend, but I want to make sure I can get the phone back to Verizon stock form before I do.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooDaddy View Post
I have another question. Where can I find all the necessary "stuff" to load on my phone to get it back to stock form in case I need warranty service? I am on Verizon.
Here is the stock ROM
http://www.utstar.com/pcd/phone_down...arrier=Verizon Wireless#

Quote:
I still have alot to learn, and I wasnt able to find out if Verizon's wireless web sync would still work. I was thinking about flashing a cooked rom this weekend, but I want to make sure I can get the phone back to Verizon stock form before I do.

Thanks!
So your answer is yes, you can go back if you want.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Thanks Weedahoe! I have bookmarked the UTstar link for future reference, and I have also downloaded everything I could find on there

I have cooked up a rom using Helmi's newest kitchen (1.0.4) and flashed it to my phone.

EVerything went smooth, and once it was over, I did a hard reset and once the phone booted it went into the "customization" mode. I let it do that, and it loaded all the verizon stuff as usual. I installed the wirelesswebsync proggy and it worked perfect! All my contacts and PIM stuff synced up very nicely.

I loaded the phone up with a bunch of apps from the kitched just for trying, man this thing can do alot! I was tickled to death about all the new goodies.

My next question would be, if I were to attempt to do my own custom ext rom with all my settings saved and stuff, would it be possible to flash the ext rom back to verizon stock? are those cabs located on UTstar.com?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
BooDaddy,
Before you do anything else, you may need to save yourself some trouble and hard reset then interrupt the Verizon customizations - If you selected Verizon as your carrier during your build, then the customizations are already built-in, and running them from the extended rom will cause some issues - mainly with text and picture messaging I think - that you wouldn't see immediately.

Yes, the stock verizon flash includes the extended rom, so you can do whatever you like with it on your custom. (I personally unlock it, empty it, and then install software to it.)
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB_XV6700 View Post
BooDaddy,
Before you do anything else, you may need to save yourself some trouble and hard reset then interrupt the Verizon customizations - If you selected Verizon as your carrier during your build, then the customizations are already built-in, and running them from the extended rom will cause some issues - mainly with text and picture messaging I think - that you wouldn't see immediately.

Yes, the stock verizon flash includes the extended rom, so you can do whatever you like with it on your custom. (I personally unlock it, empty it, and then install software to it.)
Agreed. In order to interrupt the extended ROM customizations, you need to hard reset, then soft reset as soon as you see the "Customizing in 3..2..1" prompt.
And in the kitchen, bind them.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Thanks guys, I dont a new hard reset, and stopped the customizations. I now have ALOT more free space than when I let it install the customizations, and it seems to be more responsive!!!! Holy cow... it just keeps getting better.

The only thing that I noticed, is that Helmi didnt include the Wireless Web Sync in his Kitchen. That is really the only verizon OEM proggy I use. Do you guys know where I can find the CAB for the wirless web sync? I would assume its in the ext rom (which I have unlocked), but becuase of the cryptic names of the cabs in there, I cant find it. What I want to do is get the cab for wireless web sync, put it in Helmi's Kitchen a cook up another rom.

Do you guys know where to get the wireless web sync cab(s) from?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6700

TMB_XV6700 is just getting started
Quote:
Do you guys know where to get the wireless web sync cab(s) from?
Check on the computer that you used to originally load wireless sync on the device. Should be in c:\program files\Microsoft ActiveSync then a subfolder for Wireless Sync or Intellisync. Look for a CAB file for ARM processors.
You could always go to verizonwireless and re-download also. [Edit: Oops, obviously this is just for a CAB, not the OEM folder you need for a kitchen. It doesn't look like an OEM has been developed for it. Most people use Exchange anyway, don't they?]

Last edited by TMB_XV6700; 09-17-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

Found a cool list that describes what each CAB does in the Verizon ext rom.

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...breakdown.html

I browsed to the web sync cab, and installed it.. and sofar so good.

Is there any way to add this to this list of programs in Helmi's kitchen so I can build it into my next rom?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache