PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

scorpionx is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WM6 ROM app questions

First off, thank you so much for the wm6 upgrade, absolutely awesome! I have a question about removing some of the applications built into the ROM. I would like to get rid of some of the apps that come bundled, such as the yahoo app, and that deepfish application as well. Is there any way to remove these? I assume they are in the system flash or whatever it's called. I would also like to push a few apps to that location as well, I have an Iphone dialer I would love to have stick around if I have to hard reset the device. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

scorpionx is a n00b
Just noticed the extended ROM thread there, are these apps apart of that? if so, which cab? Sorry for all the noobness...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionx View Post
First off, thank you so much for the wm6 upgrade, absolutely awesome! I have a question about removing some of the applications built into the ROM. I would like to get rid of some of the apps that come bundled, such as the yahoo app, and that deepfish application as well. Is there any way to remove these? I assume they are in the system flash or whatever it's called. I would also like to push a few apps to that location as well, I have an Iphone dialer I would love to have stick around if I have to hard reset the device. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Not really. Whatever is built into the ROM stays there. You can delete shortcuts til your heart's content though

Once the kitchen is released (don't ask, no one knows when), you'll be able to customize your own ROM to contain as little or as much as you want.

The only programs that will stick around after a hard reset will be the apps built into the ROM. Until a kitchen is released, you'll have to be content with reloading your iphone dialer after a hard reset.
And in the kitchen, bind them.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Just noticed the extended ROM thread there, are these apps apart of that? if so, which cab? Sorry for all the noobness...
All of the necessary programs from your carrier's extended ROM are built into this WM6 ROM. In other words, after flashing the WM6 ROM, make sure you soft reset before the "Customizing in 3..2..1" prompt disappears. Resetting during the prompt will prevent your extended ROM from installing any carrier specific apps (which are unnecessary, as they are already built into the ROM.)
Old 09-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

scorpionx is a n00b
Thanks much for the responses. Let me make sure I have everything right

a Kitchen release is a barebones install of the phone's OS

with a Kitchen release, I can add software to it

the current wm6 release is hard coded, and I can't change it.

Second part

The extended rom then, do I need what is there currently? or can I take a backup and remove the current data and build my own installable apps for that? Is that what the build your own extended rom thread is about? I am reading those here and there at work

thanks again for the help, and holding my hand through this.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Thanks much for the responses. Let me make sure I have everything right

a Kitchen release is a barebones install of the phone's OS

with a Kitchen release, I can add software to it

the current wm6 release is hard coded, and I can't change it.

Second part

The extended rom then, do I need what is there currently? or can I take a backup and remove the current data and build my own installable apps for that? Is that what the build your own extended rom thread is about? I am reading those here and there at work

thanks again for the help, and holding my hand through this.
No problem

A kitchen is an application that allows you to build your own ROM from a list of applications. You can make a bare bones ROM, or one built up with as many oems as you can fit (applications that have been extracted from .cab files and modified for inclusion in the kitchen.)

Yes, the WM6 ROM is already compiled, and can't be altered without decompiling the nk.nbf, working some magic, and compiling it back up again.

All of the necessary programs from the carriers' extended ROMs are built into the WM6 ROM, so you don't need to let the extended ROM "Customizing in ..." run. You can, however, remove everything from your extended ROM by unlocking it and using Total Commander to remove the junk. You can also add programs to it and have them run on hard reset. I would suggest you check out the "Customizing your extended ROM" thread, or look around Colonel's thread. I know he's done a lot with extended ROM stuff.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache