PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WM6 WIFI problems (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8099)

musikmans 09-06-2007 05:45 PM

WM6 WIFI problems

HI! I start a new threads because we are a lot of person having the same problems. I'm not to connect to a secure network. If someone was able to solve that or have a patches to fix it, please post here. thanks

kyppcgeek 09-06-2007 05:57 PM

is the SSID broadcast turned off?
if so you need to check the option about "this is a hidden network"

KidGixxer 09-06-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyppcgeek (Post 83674)
is the SSID broadcast turned off?
if so you need to check the option about "this is a hidden network"

Thats was one of the first things i tried. Didn't work. Im sure Helmi and the wm6 guys know about this and are working on it.

unitypunk 09-06-2007 07:27 PM

im also having trouble connecting to wifi.

secure, or unsecure.

:(

usib 09-06-2007 08:06 PM

Mine can do open with no problem, but if I try to connect to a secure network, it says "connecting" for a while, and then returns back to saying "available".

MongoRanger 09-06-2007 08:31 PM

I have had no problems at all connecting to secured or unsecured networks. I did enable SSID on one network to make it easier to connect to but then I turned it back off and everything is still working fine.

swimmrguy 09-06-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usib (Post 83716)
Mine can do open with no problem, but if I try to connect to a secure network, it says "connecting" for a while, and then returns back to saying "available".

I have the same problem...can connect to open, but when I enable WPA-PSK I have the above problem.

j10376 09-06-2007 08:50 PM

connect to secure network

This is definatly a bug with the apache wm6 rom update i hope this can be fixed soon I need to be able to connect to vpn.

drdrewusaf 09-06-2007 09:52 PM

I've got no problems on my WM6 6700 and my network is using WEP. I just got done copying an album from my mediapc.

Drew

linenoise 09-06-2007 10:30 PM

I am having the same issue with my WPA-PSK system as well.

ksg 09-06-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linenoise (Post 83788)
I am having the same issue with my WPA-PSK system as well.

I also use WPA-TKIP at home, and haven't been able to connect with WM6 with the SSID turned off or on. This is definitely an issue with Helmi_c's WM6 rom.

bacspasm 09-06-2007 11:24 PM

For me, it is a bit slow getting connected but I am able to connect with WM6 6700 and my linksys WRT 54G running dd-wrt v24 linux OS and WPA-PSK and SSID broadcast.

biscodude 09-06-2007 11:34 PM

I was having issues with wpa wireless the first time I set the device up. I was also having issues with the from field of text messages showing up as the first word of the message. I did a hard reset and then when it said it was going to run sprint customizations I did a soft reset to prevent it from running. After that my two issues were resolved. This may be something you might want to try, but I am certainly not a pro at this.

OMJ 09-08-2007 10:19 AM

Those having WIFI issues............

not sure if any of you saw this post in the Apache WM6 CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2) thread but it looks like a couple ppl had success after enabling Blutetooth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister36 (Post 84366)
I at first couldn't connect to my home network running WPA/TKIP. But after reading the below I tried to activate Bluetooth, and magically my network connected... However anyone know how to get WPA2 on the Sprint PPC-6700? I can't connect to my works network without WPA2/AES.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by magyoi (Post 83798)
mdphoenix.. i tried that 1.02 version as well and had the same problem.. so i downloaded the OTHER verizon version and it worked fine IN vista.. took about 7 mins or so and a 2nd hard reset.. but since then .. the rom worked with only one flaw.. every once and a while I have to enable Bluetooth to get wifi to connect.. but im going to try to upgrade the radio version to the latest one in the forums (im using 1.10.00 right now).

Try downloading the other verizon version (non 1.02 bootloader). It worked great for me.

weedahoe 09-08-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmrguy (Post 83728)
I have the same problem...can connect to open, but when I enable WPA-PSK I have the above problem.

This includes me also.

bugsysiegals 09-08-2007 11:04 AM

Confirmation

Just another confirmation that I'm also having the same problem. I thought I might have chosen the wrong adapter or something but I played with the damn thing for hours and couldnt get it to connect. I'm sure they'll figure it out as long as they become aware of the problem.

sammy95ss 09-08-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musikmans (Post 83660)
HI! I start a new threads because we are a lot of person having the same problems. I'm not to connect to a secure network. If someone was able to solve that or have a patches to fix it, please post here. thanks

I had the same problem too, how I was able to connect was, go to comm manager and turn the phone off, (I think that makes it flight mode), connect to WiFi and then turn the phone on

mlbuckner 09-08-2007 02:57 PM

sammy95ss
Thanks for the info, that worked for me, turn phone off in comm manager, turn on wireless and it connected. Turned phone back on and wireless stayed connected. I was able to shut of wireless and back on and it connected from that point on. Great post and again thanks, was getting worried about the wifi, seems like a small bug
Matt

Trident 09-08-2007 03:46 PM

That didn't work for me. I can still only connect if I turn off encryption on my network. And that ain't gonna happen.

mlbuckner 09-08-2007 09:37 PM

Yea, mined worked once and then no go, guess will have to wait for fix.

mlbuckner 09-08-2007 10:39 PM

I had to set mine to open with wep and it seems to work so far. Not as secure but I also have access to access point allowed by specified only MAC address so it is ok

zenak 09-08-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlbuckner (Post 84692)
I had to set mine to open with wep and it seems to work so far. Not as secure but I also have access to access point allowed by specified only MAC address so it is ok

not really, if someone is able to break your wep they will have no problem spoofing your mac address to get on.

I refuse to use wep, one of the issues with the otherwise nice looking wm6 rom that forced me to downgrade.

ksg 09-09-2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenak (Post 84697)
not really, if someone is able to break your wep they will have no problem spoofing your mac address to get on.

I refuse to use wep, one of the issues with the otherwise nice looking wm6 rom that forced me to downgrade.

I feel the same way. Hence why I downgraded. This is a show-stopper bug for me.

allanak 09-09-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zenak (Post 84697)

Agreed - WEP is useless at this point...it can be cracked in minutes these days. If you're using WEP and somebody wants in your network, MAC filtering isn't gonna stop them.

Not having access to WPA networks is a bummer for me, but I've got my laptop with me most of the time to find APs to hop onto, and worst case I just tether anyway. I can probably count with my hands how many times I actually needed wifi. The only thing it'd be really nice to have the wifi (for me anyway) is to use a softphone because of the latency issues over the air.

vilord 09-09-2007 04:10 PM

I just upgraded both of our phones to WM6. We have a WPA/PSK/TKIP network here and it did not work out of the box (big surprise, same issue as others here). Turning on bluetooth first or turning off the phone didn't seem to work, so I just kept trying different combinations of turning on and off different functions in the comms manager. After about 40 minutes of switching things on and off, and multiple soft resets, it came up on the first phone. Now I need to turn on bluetooth before wifi most of the time to get it to go through. The second phone was the same, but switching off phone and on bluetooth (after 5 other unsuccessful tries) was the required combination before turning on wifi.

So if your phone didn't work with the bluetooth trick, just keep trying and if you are patient enough (I only *almost* threw the phone across the room) it will eventually go through. Good luck!

zenak 09-10-2007 05:37 PM

Does it reliably connect again every time? Do you have to do this for every WPA-PSK network you connect to, or just the first one? I have two I regularly use....

vilord 09-10-2007 06:30 PM

Well, reliability is an issue. My phone generally connects without issue, but my girl's phone sometimes won't connect at all, have to just try again after a few hours :( Let me tell you she's not too happy 'bout that. I'll be trying some more tonight to figure out what the deal is.
I think it would happen for every network, but I only have one I use regularly at my house (no wifi at work)

Dardo 09-10-2007 07:24 PM

Wifi

Quote:

Originally Posted by musikmans (Post 83660)

i used the Verizon 1.02 new patch...wifi did NOT work
just installed the verzion 1.0 patch..wifi worked like a charm

store2000 09-11-2007 02:07 AM

I used the Verizon 1.00 patch (Helmi's WM6 5.2.1620) and can confirm that WiFi WPA-PSK does NOT work. I've also tried disabling/enabling Bluetooth/Phone keeping WiFi on - it doesn't work.

I guess I need to sacrifice a goat ... or two (context: http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...47086020070904)

Anyone knows what the fix may be ??

GnatGoSplat 09-11-2007 09:12 AM

With Helmi's Alltel ROM, I couldn't get WPA-TKIP to work either. It sits at "Connecting" forever until I cancel it. I tried turning the Phone and Bluetooth off/on at the same time and separately. No luck.
Standard WEP works fine so it's good for home use, but my workplace uses WPA-TKIP.

Logicwrath 09-11-2007 12:49 PM

I use WPA-TKIP with RADIUS certificate authentication at home. I was able to get it to connect successfully.

I use WPA-PSK-TKIP at work. I was able to get the phone to connect after many diffrent attempts disabling-reenabling comm hardware and resetting the phone. I think if you really want it to connect it sounds like you need to be tenatious. I have not tried to disconnect/reconnect yet.

saturn2069a 09-11-2007 09:20 PM

THIS WORKS (at least for me!):

1 - Configure your WPA-PSK(TKIP) network Settings by going to Settings - Connections - WiFi. Or just enable WLAN in the Wireless Manager and when it sees your network put the key in there.

2 - Once Wireless is enabled, let it try to connect for like 5-10 seconds or so.

3 - In the Wireless Manager, while it is trying to connect quickly turn WLAN off and then back on again. Do not let it stay off for more than just a second or so. When it turns back on though WiFi connects to your WPA-PSK network almost immediately.

I've tried this several times now and it works for me. If were to just turn on WLAN and leave it alone, it just sits on "Connecting" and then goes back to "Available" without ever connecting. I've not had to shut off the phone radio or bluetooth or anything - just quickly turn WLAN off and then back on!

I can't take credit for this - I got it from here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=442 - its buried 40-some pages into another topic so a lot of people are probably missing it!!

CrunchSA 09-11-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturn2069a (Post 86114)
THIS WORKS (at least for me!):

1 - Configure your WPA-PSK(TKIP) network Settings by going to Settings - Connections - WiFi. Or just enable WLAN in the Wireless Manager and when it sees your network put the key in there.

2 - Once Wireless is enabled, let it try to connect for like 5-10 seconds or so.

3 - In the Wireless Manager, while it is trying to connect quickly turn WLAN off and then back on again. Do not let it stay off for more than just a second or so. When it turns back on though WiFi connects to your WPA-PSK network almost immediately.

I've tried this several times now and it works for me. If were to just turn on WLAN and leave it alone, it just sits on "Connecting" and then goes back to "Available" without ever connecting. I've not had to shut off the phone radio or bluetooth or anything - just quickly turn WLAN off and then back on!

I can't take credit for this - I got it from here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=442 - its buried 40-some pages into another topic so a lot of people are probably missing it!!

I can confirm success with this method. Thanks!

nico4k 09-12-2007 03:19 PM

Wm6 Apache Solution(trick) For Wi-fi Problem To Work With Wpa-psk Tkip

I created a Written How-to and a Youtube video for this too.

I FOUND A WAY TO FOR THE WIFI TO WORK WITH WPA-PSK TKIP.
THIS IS HOW I DID IT: (i recommend to soft reset your device before you try this to ensure success chances)

1. TURN YOUR WI-FI ON. THEN CONNECT TO YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK (ENTER YOUR WPA KEY ETC).

2. LE THE WI-FI DO IT'S THING FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS. (IN THE MEANTIME GO TO THE COMM MANAGER)

3. NOW TURN THE WI-FI OFF (WAIT ABOUT 1 SECONDS) AND TURN IT BACK ON. WALA, YOU SHOULD CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY RIGHT-AWAY (AFTER A FEW SECONDS) TO THE WI-FI YOU JUST CONFIGURED.

4. AFTER YOU HAVE CONFIGURED YOUR WI-FI CONNECTIONS, YOU ONLY NEED TO FOLLOW STEPS 2 & 3 TO RECONNECT TO YOUR CONFIGURED WI-FI NETWORK

(THIS EVEN WORKS WHEN THE PHONE GOES TO SLEEP MODE, THE WIFI RECONNECTS WITHOUT ANY ISSUES)

Here is the how-to on youtube for those that dont like to read. LOL
(you dont need to wait so long to turn wi-fi on and off as the video suggest, use the time suggestion of the written How-to above)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDI_cR7RXGw

I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE BEST SOLUTION, BUT IT SHOULD HOLD US UP (THOSE THAT DONT HAVE DATA PACKAGE LIKE ME) UNTIL A KITCHEN OR FIX IS CREATED. THIS WORKS FOR ME FLAWLESSLY, SO HOPE AT LEAST FOR MOST OF YOU THIS WILL WORK.

NOTE:
You will also find this how-to Here (where i originally posted it)
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7780&page=45
or
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7780

Mikeg1969 09-16-2007 10:35 AM

I can also confirm this works.

dan18 10-31-2007 11:55 AM

yep it works thanks dude

fusionjd 11-05-2007 02:55 AM

Recently upgraded to WM6. Can't seem to get my XV6700 to use wifi now. I turn on Wireless LAN thru the comm manager and go to the Wireless LAN settings and the "Change Network" button is grayed out. I tried soft reset, no luck. Maybe I am just missing something basic here...

usib 11-06-2007 12:26 AM

Hmm, definitely does not work here. When I connect for the first time, I am not experiencing a long pause; it fairly quickly rejects my network and shows a list of all other available networks. If I look in settings, the networks shows up as "unavailable".

This is with the latest pre-packaged ROM image. Has this been fixed in the kitchen?

TMB_XV6700 11-06-2007 12:37 AM

New Helmi-kitchen-based rom connected right up with my WPA-PSK secured network. No problems.

mikey415 11-06-2007 12:38 AM

same, but sprint is replacing my phone :)