PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC 6700

gopher2011 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Few general newb ?'s

So i just ordered one of these off ebay, but it doesnt have a charger so, i noticed its just a mini usb, could i just charge this off my laptop or should i buy a cradle thing? where can i get one of these that are legit and not some .99 cent ebay stuff?

Also do you guys reccomend doing anything when just getting one, i.e. installing programs, or updates or something.

One las ? is can you get Windows mobile 6 on this thing or is it not worth it (Not much better)?

thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)
Carrier: Sprint

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
It will charge off a USB port, just very slowly. You'll get much faster charging using an AC adapter. The cradle is a separate part and isn't really necessary.

That said, if you want to find the "legit" parts use the word OEM in your ebay searches... so like:

PPC6700 OEM

and see what comes up. But honestly you could go down to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and purchase a charger that will work fine. Look for one that outputs 1Amp for the fastest charging. The USB port on your PC puts out .5Amp so that's why it doesn't charge as fast that way.

All newer Motorola phones, blackberries, even the PSP use miniusb so it should not be hard to locate an AC Adapter with a miniUSB plug.

As for the rest of your post, since you're so new I highly advise just using it in its stock state (if it's not new you may want to run the "Clear Storage" app on it which is the same as doing a hard reset (clears out any customizations and resets it to "out of box" condition).

WM6 is unofficially available (see the sticky thread at the top of thie forum) but if you're really inexperienced with Windows Mobile I would say don't rush to install that. Get to know the device first and do lots of reading here.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Jay6700

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
I have a cradle but never use it. I just leave it plugged into usb at work while i'm at work.

I would defidently look at WM6, it has beena world of better for me than wm5, espeicaly if your considering installing other applications on it. It's been significantly more stable for me, gets better battery life as well.

I bought my 6700 off ebay, just make sure you get the one that is designed to work with your carrier.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint PPC 6700
Threadstarter

gopher2011 is a n00b
So i got it today and i think it has even been used plastic on the camera and the screen along with over the buttons, not a scratch or nick on it anywhere. So therefore i wouldnt have to do a hard reset right?
Old 09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

markppc6700 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to markppc6700
do it to be on the safe side, it doesnt hurt u one bit. Trust with the stock rom u will prob have to hard reset a few times hehehe.. upgrade to phoenix 3.5 before u go to 6 since there is so much on 6 that might overwhelm a newb LOL jk enjoy the phone btw..

I say upgrade to whatever u want because thats the only way you will learn, just keep a backup phone incase u get too crazy and brick the phone.

as far as chargers go, i use the same one i charge my BT headsed sometimes the camera cord when i am at work, or through the usb hub on my car stereo. cheap or oem works the same to me.. the cradle that came with mines is still in the box somewhere in the garage, i never use it

Last edited by markppc6700; 09-13-2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: none

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache