PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Q9C
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid

ImTinkerbell is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Continually connecting to neighbor's WIFI - NooB here...

Yes, I'm afraid I'm another one of those... a NooB. I was hoping somebody might be able to help this technically not-so-savvy older lady out.

I recently set up my 6700, but my WIFI continually wants to connect to my next door neighbor's unsecured WIFI. My own network shows as available, and whenever I try to connect to my own, 8 out of 10 times it defaults to my neighbor's and not my own.

Is there a way that I can set the default for which network I want it to connect to?

I am running 6.1, build 19716.1.0.0, if that helps...

You'll probably have to use pretty basic instructions with me, as I grew up in a low technology generation and I'm just starting to understand things.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Lynda
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Continually connecting to neighbor's WIFI - NooB here...

Have you ever done any intervention to connect your network at all or just turned the WIFI on and let 'er rip? Usually, when you connect your network by viewing your available networks, tap and hold yours, and select connect, it will connect to that one until your change it to another. That is of course if you are in range. Also, is your network secured? You will have to input the encryption key but sounds like you can connect OK 20% of the time.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Q9C
Carrier: Alltel Prepaid
Threadstarter

ImTinkerbell is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambatte View Post
Have you ever done any intervention to connect your network at all or just turned the WIFI on and let 'er rip? Usually, when you connect your network by viewing your available networks, tap and hold yours, and select connect, it will connect to that one until your change it to another. That is of course if you are in range. Also, is your network secured? You will have to input the encryption key but sounds like you can connect OK 20% of the time.
Thank you for your response.

I set my 6700 up with the encryption key (my network is secured, and I do have the encryption string? correct), and specifically select my network. It will say "connecting" but then just reverts to my neighbor's... but still shows my own network as "available." However, about 2 out of 10 times it will actually connect to my own network. It is almost as if it is choosing the path of least resistance.

Is there an option or feature for setting up a default wifi connection?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker

gambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargambatte is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Can you please try this for me? Go to Start>Settings>WLAN>Power Mode Tab>Set to "Best Performance". Let me know if this helps.

Last edited by gambatte; 05-08-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700,XV-6800, Iphone 3GS-32gig, 4S 64gig, 5
Carrier: Verizon - ATT

sdruid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to sdruid Send a message via MSN to sdruid Send a message via Yahoo to sdruid Send a message via Skype™ to sdruid

In order to connect to encrypted networks, you need to have the latest Microsoft Netcf "Framework" 3.0 which I believe is in the Kitchen, otherwise you will have problems connecting to encrypted networks....
Also if the router is bad, like one of mines is (I'm running about 4 to 6 different routers daisychained together), it won't connect either...
I have seen this problem with laptops connecting to encrypted networks so it's probably not too different for mobile phones...and I fixed it by getting the latest Microsoft updates which will include the "Net Framework 3.0"......
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6700

macejsc is a n00b

I was having the same trouble, and I found in another post that someone said the 6700 would only connect to 802.11 B not G or Mixed. If your router will is sending the signal as mixed or G then it might not connect, but still show as available. Mine was doing EXACTLY the same thing. I was connecting to my neighbor's Wi-Fi, but couldn't connect to mine. I switched my router to send B only and it's connected everytime also it really helped that I switched it to best performance like Gambatte mentioned.

How to switch the router to B only really depends on the router. I have a linksys and had to go to the router's settings (where you set the encryption key) and click on the wireless tab, and select it there.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700,XV-6800, Iphone 3GS-32gig, 4S 64gig, 5
Carrier: Verizon - ATT

sdruid is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to sdruid Send a message via MSN to sdruid Send a message via Yahoo to sdruid Send a message via Skype™ to sdruid

Quote:
Originally Posted by macejsc View Post
I was having the same trouble, and I found in another post that someone said the 6700 would only connect to 802.11 B not G or Mixed. If your router will is sending the signal as mixed or G then it might not connect, but still show as available. Mine was doing EXACTLY the same thing. I was connecting to my neighbor's Wi-Fi, but couldn't connect to mine. I switched my router to send B only and it's connected everytime also it really helped that I switched it to best performance like Gambatte mentioned.

How to switch the router to B only really depends on the router. I have a linksys and had to go to the router's settings (where you set the encryption key) and click on the wireless tab, and select it there.
Forgot to mention this as well.....the obvious......thanks....
Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by macejsc View Post
I switched my router to send B only
Hmmm, connecting should work when router set to "Mixed". That's where mine is set. Mixed should allow a/b/g connections. Most of my other devices connect by g, e.g the faster connection. I only have the 6700 and a very old WinCE device that connect b. It's when you have g only set on the router that you would have a problem. IMHO.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 6700

macejsc is a n00b

Mine was set to mixed, but when it would try to connect it would automatically switch to the neighbor's wifi and try to connect to it and constantly switch back and forth trying to connect. Finally once I switched it to B only it worked everytime without an issue. Mine could be more software issues though too. I have helmi's WM 6 rom installed but that's it. I didn't add anything but the HHC and did some registry tweaks.

Funny but helpful...lol
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTinkerbell View Post
Is there an option or feature for setting up a default wifi connection?
Enter your network SSID in Start>Settings>WLAN using "change Network" if needed.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache