PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

CarRamrod is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Wifi Help

So what exactly do I have to do? Is there some setting I have to turn on for it to connect and ask me for my name and password? I've seen the network key input area you talked about but don't know what it is or whatever. My friends with the iPhone or Ipod Touch said that when they connect it just asks for their name and password as if they're on one of the school computers. There are kids who bring their laptops as well. I don't want to ask the guy who manages our network and such because he is a douche so I can't just go in and ask "Hey my phone won't connect, why?" since I'm in high school and technically not allowed to use my phone during school.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: Wifi Help

This is where I said the contradiction comes in from the first post. But it sounds like you are doing everything correctly so it isnt you. BUT, take your phone to school and go though those screens that I so graciously gave you (along with all the detailed directions and instructions) and tell us what type of network your school has.

I cannot explain it any more simple than this. If it is an open and unsecured network (which is likely is because no one else is having to enter WEP/WPA keys) then there is nothing you need to do except turn of WiFi and open your browser where it will then ask you for your UID/Pass (just like it does for all your friends).

Now on the other hand, if you go through those screenshots (while at school with your device) and it tells you that you are on a WEP/WPA encrypted network then you will need to enter the kep. But there again, you say all your friends do not have to do this so just go ahead and get this process out of your mind.

So what have we found out so far and clarified? Your school likely runs an unsecured and un-MAC filtered WiFi because all of your friends can simply turn on thier WiFi on thier iPhones/Touch/laptops and open thier browser and are prompted for thier school given/assigned credentials. So, I am feeling safe to assume your issue is with one of two things.

1) It is the 6700 and/or
2) It has something to do with the 6700 only being able to do 802.11b whereas the Phones/Touch/laptops all do 802.11b+g and Im betting someone with a 6800 (which does G) could walk in and connect and surf without any issues.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache