PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Lurker

shonn.burton is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1ST WM6.1 ROM Update failed, stuck on boot screen, now what?

Please help! I ran through the WM6.1 Kitchen, added my options, cooked my ROM and updated. Now my phone boots to the muppet chef splash screen and hangs. Since the phone cannot connect to my PC in this state, I cannot run another ROM update. How do I recover from here?

-Shonn
Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV-6700 (Verizon HTC Apache)
Carrier: Only PPCGEEKS.com; I don't even pay monthly anymore.

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to PocketPcUser Send a message via MSN to PocketPcUser
Re: 1ST WM6.1 ROM Update failed, stuck on boot screen, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonn.burton View Post
Please help! I ran through the WM6.1 Kitchen, added my options, cooked my ROM and updated. Now my phone boots to the muppet chef splash screen and hangs. Since the phone cannot connect to my PC in this state, I cannot run another ROM update. How do I recover from here?

-Shonn
Press the soft-keys again, to perform a hard-reset; then press the Record and Power in, and without letting go of those two keys, press the soft-reset port to put it into bootloader mode. Then, you will be able to flash another ROM. This might take a couple tries, but if you want more personalized assistance, you can PM me and I will help in finding the problem. Most likely, it was just one of the OEM's that caused the problem. I don't use my device, except for helping people here, and testing beta software, so I can be without it, for a while with no problem. This is not something that you can do as easily, if it is your only phone. Feel free to PM me.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hauk is just getting started

DO NOT REFLASH, this can be fixed easily, you need to take out your battery for 30 sec. then hard reset, then it will work.

EDIT: whoops didnt read the entire title, if the update failed then you will need to do as said in the above post, and did you unlock before u flashed?

Last edited by Hauk; 05-26-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker

PocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good workPocketPcUser is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauk View Post
DO NOT REFLASH, this can be fixed easily, you need to take out your battery for 30 sec. then hard reset, then it will work.
I think that is incorrect; this sounds like the typical problem that happens, when an imcompatible OEM is added to the ROM. Of course feel free to do that before re-flashing, but I doubt that is the solution.
Either way, as long as it gets the user back to running again.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Stuck at splash is a bad ROM. 99% of the time from flashing too big a rom into a 1.04/2.04/2.05 bootloader system. 1st step is to reflash with a smaller rom.

No need to do the hard reset thing first...flash a smaller rom (put your phone in bootloader and you'll be able to flash), then do the hard reset, then boot it up.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

shonn.burton is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketPcUser View Post
Press the soft-keys again, to perform a hard-reset; then press the Record and Power in, and without letting go of those two keys, press the soft-reset port to put it into bootloader mode. Then, you will be able to flash another ROM. This might take a couple tries, but if you want more personalized assistance, you can PM me and I will help in finding the problem. Most likely, it was just one of the OEM's that caused the problem. I don't use my device, except for helping people here, and testing beta software, so I can be without it, for a while with no problem. This is not something that you can do as easily, if it is your only phone. Feel free to PM me.
So let me clarify. The ROM flash did not fail. It said it flashed successfully. My problem is that it doesn't boot into the new ROM, it just hangs on the bootup screen. I did put mu phone in bootloader mode but when I tried to reflash it gave me a connection error. I will try all of the suggesiton posted here and post my results. Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

shonn.burton is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
Stuck at splash is a bad ROM. 99% of the time from flashing too big a rom into a 1.04/2.04/2.05 bootloader system. 1st step is to reflash with a smaller rom.

No need to do the hard reset thing first...flash a smaller rom (put your phone in bootloader and you'll be able to flash), then do the hard reset, then boot it up.
I have bootloader 2.02 (not sure if that makes a difference). I did get a lot of failure messages when creating the ROM that said the image was too big. I went back and removed a lot of my selections and stuck with basic options and was able to create a ROM without getting the "too big" error. I went back and selected Helmi's project, which used a very small selection package but my computer does not see the device when it's in bootloader mode. I saved my configuration file if you want me to post it.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

shonn.burton is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauk View Post

EDIT: whoops didnt read the entire title, if the update failed then you will need to do as said in the above post, and did you unlock before u flashed?
This didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestion though. I will try some of the other suggestions and see what happens.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

shonn.burton is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: 1ST WM6.1 ROM Update failed, stuck on boot screen, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketPcUser View Post
Ok, it worked this time! I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonn.burton View Post
Ok, it worked this time! I'm back up and running. Thanks for the help!
So just putting the phone in bootloader mode, didn't work; but hard-reseting first, then bootloader mode did; is that right?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development