PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   6.1 Battery Issue (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=21544)

edufur 04-10-2008 07:57 PM

Re: 6.1 Battery Issue

Quote:

Originally Posted by saqer (Post 245502)
i'm tellin u guys it's activesync...i am running good battery life now simply after changing settings to manual sync

I really dont see why you think that it is active sync. Dont you realize that syncing only occurs on the cradle? Since you are on the cradle, there is ZERO battery cost to sync. If your argument is that it takes longer to charge because of steady syncing, I can buy that (maybe), but people here are not concerned with charge time... they are concerned with how fast the battery goes from 100% to 20% while OFF the cradle. Active sync does not play a role in that at all.

saqer 04-10-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edufur (Post 246493)
I really dont see why you think that it is active sync. Dont you realize that syncing only occurs on the cradle? Since you are on the cradle, there is ZERO battery cost to sync. If your argument is that it takes longer to charge because of steady syncing, I can buy that (maybe), but people here are not concerned with charge time... they are concerned with how fast the battery goes from 100% to 20% while OFF the cradle. Active sync does not play a role in that at all.

you misunderstood my original tip...activesync starts randomly even when the phone is not in the cradle this sometimes causes the phone to slow down and may even cause a battery drain. Here read this post and you'll see what i'm referring to http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...46&postcount=2 :

Quote:

ActiveSync 4.0 turns on automatically
There were several posts indicating ActiveSync turns on by itself when the Axim is not cradled and eventually drains the battery. It never happens to me. Circumvention provided by Invid:

Disabling automatic syncing (and activesync startup) did. The new activesync is a dog, even worse than it was on WM2003SE and makes my x50v almost useless while running. I will list the steps to disable it. Note that you will still be able to sync, but AS will no longer start up on it's own.

1) Start up AS on your x50.
2) Tap the menu tab/soft key and tap "Add Server Source"
3) Configure a server source with a dummy IP address, user id, password and domain name; these do not have to be real
4) Once configured you should have another sync source show up on your main AS screen...continue on.
5) Tap the menu soft key again and you should see that the sync schedule option is no longer greyed out.
6) Change your schedule from a timed automatic start of AS to manual under both fields
7) If you try to sync now, AS will try to contact your imaginary exchange server and that will take forever until it times out, so you can now delete the exchange server from your list of sync sources. Your changes to the sync schedule will remain and will survive soft resets too.

pfer10 04-11-2008 10:15 PM

I upgraded using Helmi_c Sprint right before I left for the Left Coast. That was a bad mistake as I have been running good on a 6 month old version of WM5 but can't remember what I was using. I thought I saved it but I couldn't find it. Battery life was great with with old version but Helmi_c's Sprint version couldn't make it a whole day. I do sync to a 2007 exchange server.

This is what I used: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7671

While I was in the airport I tried to put my old version back on it but I couldn't find it so I put something really old (~ 9 months) so I could get through the day.

Once I got settled in at home I played with the kitchen but I was doing something wrong as I have never used it before and I couldn't get it to work. I liked the features of WM6 but I couldn't have the battery life the way it was. I then flashed Rob Mayer's version and it works great. No battery issues at all. I still sync to the 2007 exchange server and the use is the exact same as I had with Helmi_c's.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=9841

One thing I did notice while sitting in the airport on my first leg was the phone kept turning on every couple minutes. The night before I left I had to bowl and my phone was in my pocket the whole night. When I left for home it was completely drained with no use at all. I was hoping it was just a fluke as I didn't have time to reflash but the next couple days was the exact same.

DavidinCT 04-13-2008 12:16 AM

I might be on to something here. I added some things to my config file and now my battery life is doing really good. So far. used the phone for about an hour to an hour and 1/2 (kind of slow call weekend), and about 35-50 min of internet. The phone has been on for almost 30 hours and it's still sitting at 70% battery life left(standard battery). I still have not charged it. I'll let it go till the battery life dies.

I did save my config file, so if it's good, I will post it here... I do want to test it for another day or 2 to know for sure....

For people wondering...
On Verizon
Radio version: 1.43

sunny1974 04-13-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 248426)
I might be on to something here. I added some things to my config file and now my battery life is doing really good. So far. used the phone for about an hour to an hour and 1/2 (kind of slow call weekend), and about 35-50 min of internet. The phone has been on for almost 30 hours and it's still sitting at 70% battery life left(standard battery). I still have not charged it. I'll let it go till the battery life dies.

I did save my config file, so if it's good, I will post it here... I do want to test it for another day or 2 to know for sure....

For people wondering...
On Verizon
Radio version: 1.43

do post ur tweaks and list..
been following ur posts and appreciate ur hard work trying to crack this battery issue..
went back to wm6 and here s what acb meter says.
250 mah via bluetooth while in a call signal strength pretty good..4 bars.. only 1x mode..
idle 38mah.
data with pie=300-350mah..
with net front browser=400-450mah
talk time i m not sure but guess shd be around aan hour.
battery = li polymer 1500mah
acording to calculations
40mah* 35hrs=1400mah..so standby shd be 35 hours?
correct me if this isnt the way to calculate..
talk time shd be 250*6= 6 hours ideally. say 5 if u start talk right after 100 pc charge...
and if u standby for 24 hours.. then shd be 2 hours of talk time (250*2 + 40*24).
approximatly..
but from what i figure and have been reading it shdnt work like this actually.. it should do more than this.. right?
radio is 1.41 and running only 1x on reliance india.. with a ruim card.( i hope this doesnt have anything to do with the battery usage)
reverted back to wm6 from wm6.1 coz of this battery issue and the active syncing issue.. so these tests are from wm6

do lemme know ur maths..

DavidinCT 04-13-2008 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, if anyone else wants to test this config, I attached it to this post. My Boot loader version is 1.04, my radio is 1.43. I am on Verizon wireless. This is 6.1 from the most updated Kitchen.

At the time of this post, my phone has been on for about 36 hours, and if you see my post above, this is an estimated usage of my phone, after installing a fresh charged standard battery....I just removed the battery and put it back in to confirm the battery meter, it's showing 70% left.

about an hour and 1/2 actual talk time.
and about 45 min of internet usage (out of my unlimited connection EVO area).
No bluetooth or wi-fi was used in this test(wi-fi was used for about 2 min, to setup my local wi-fi router key).

After the flash, I went into advanced configuation, when into the power saving area, and enabled everything. Also disabled OBEX. Backlight: set brightness on batter to 2 up from off, and 30 second time out. Setup exchange activesync after that, I went into activesync and change sync to manual, and check sync when I hit send and recive. Then I swapped the battery for a fresh charged one....

All I ask, if you try this, please post your results....

So far, from :violent2: to :headbang:

tcbusch 04-13-2008 07:36 AM

What things did you add?

blakamin 04-17-2008 02:58 AM

OK... I cooked a 6.1 rom on sunday and used it successfully all week until I installed something on my SD card (Garmin Que) that I had uninstalled from my main memory, then uninstalled from SD, then back to main and caused no end of hassles ("can't find /storage card/garmin/garmin que.exe" even when the program ran!)... no battery problems.

Last night I Hard Reset to get rid of my errors, left in the cradle overnight and this morning I went through 2 batteries in 3 hours!!!! No calls, about 6 sms and a bit of trip yahtzee.
Yesterday the same (first) battery was used all day (bt, gps software, games) and was about 60% at 9pm!
I didn't change any progs or anything. I'm very confused.
:drunken::???:

Two questions, where can I find my active sync settings to make it manual as I run task manager every now and then to see what might be sucking things and half the time it's running and I'm nowhere near my PCs (I build roads!)?

Also, where could I find a cab for the battery meter (can't find one on google and don't want to recook my excellent rom that worked 4 days!)?

tcbusch 04-17-2008 08:29 AM

Go here, scroll to post #5.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...e+sync+battery

edufur 04-18-2008 04:35 PM

i followed the instructions for stopping active sync... and it is a waste. active sync still fires. and it isnt the problem... i know this for a fact. obviously we are seeing varying extremes of the issue because it sounds like my battery depletion is not as bad as some others.