PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Apache Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Radio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11819)

edufur 11-26-2007 04:14 PM

i went from 1.27 to 1.41 and actually almost didnt want to since my signal at home was great at 4 bars under 1.27. I was figuring I would see no change. Well, I am shocked that now I have a steady 5 bars and less battery drain. So, the next big test will be how well it does in the office... I was always at 1 bar (at best) there. I didn't think 5 bars was possible... this leads me to believe that there is something fake about the new radio. Although I cannot deny the power improvement. BTW: is 1.43 working for sprint?

schettj 11-26-2007 04:56 PM

1.43 works fine for sprint, not much diff (or no diff) from 1.41

SilvOreo 11-26-2007 05:44 PM

Losing Data Connection

I upgraded from Radio 1.10 to 1.43 and haven't seen a noticeable gain: Still getting 1-2 bars of 1x at home - neighborhood is a known cellular deadspot but VZW hasn't done anything about it.

However, I have noticed that sometimes after a voice call the data connection won't reestablish: Browser won't connect to anything and Activesync won't connect to exchange server no matter how many times or for how long I try either. After an hour of voice connections but no data, I sent myself a text message and then the Activesync would reconnect when I forced it. This happens fairly regularly over the last two weeks since I upgraded. It happens at home, at work, and on the road. I know voice calls are always 1x, and the phone usually goes back into EV-DO after the call, but sometimes I have to just reset the phone to get the data connection back on.

Has anyone had this experience with the newer radio? Could it be a WM6 problem (I installed that at the same time so I can't tell which is the cause)? Could it be a tower switching problem with either the radio or WM6? I do have the latest PRL.

JBabey 11-26-2007 09:37 PM

1.43 hosed my phones radio so i would avoid it like the plague (sprint). 1.41 worked wonderfully and i wish i never put 1.43 on my device.

If i had to wager a guess I would say that 1.43 runs the radio out of tolerance ranges and is a slow death for your hardware. It also may just be a coincidence that after i installed 1.43 i got horrid reception dropped calls, shit internet tethering. It also would not let me downgrade (yes i know what im doing).

Anyways 1.41 is excellent, 1.27 was great as well.

digi 11-27-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilvOreo (Post 129868)
I upgraded from Radio 1.10 to 1.43 and haven't seen a noticeable gain: Still getting 1-2 bars of 1x at home - neighborhood is a known cellular deadspot but VZW hasn't done anything about it.

However, I have noticed that sometimes after a voice call the data connection won't reestablish: Browser won't connect to anything and Activesync won't connect to exchange server no matter how many times or for how long I try either. After an hour of voice connections but no data, I sent myself a text message and then the Activesync would reconnect when I forced it. This happens fairly regularly over the last two weeks since I upgraded. It happens at home, at work, and on the road. I know voice calls are always 1x, and the phone usually goes back into EV-DO after the call, but sometimes I have to just reset the phone to get the data connection back on.

Has anyone had this experience with the newer radio? Could it be a WM6 problem (I installed that at the same time so I can't tell which is the cause)? Could it be a tower switching problem with either the radio or WM6? I do have the latest PRL.

I'm having similar problems since upgrading, except mine seems to be sending calls to voicemail when I'm using a data connection, and when it does ring, the phone freezes for a short time if I try to answer it. Then after it unfreezes, I cant call out or connect data again because it tells me to end the current phone call, even though I'm not in a call because the phone froze while answering.

I actually just made another thread about this problem, I didn't see this thread when I searched the first time. I upgraded from 1.1 and I had high hopes considering all the good things I had heard about the radio upgrades. But really I wish I would have stayed with 1.1

bobonit 11-27-2007 09:16 PM

I went from 1.27 to 1.41 and have not had any problems, I'm on sprint. I always had 5 bars at my home, but with 1.27 would only get about 400kbps on evdo. After upgrading to 1.41 and subsequently 1.43, I can get 1.3mb on evdo about 90% of the time. 1.43 seems to be as stable as 1.41 in my area, no dropped calls or evdo disconnects. I'm in South Fla.

Wizzard 11-28-2007 08:04 PM

1.43 gives me one more bar than the previous radios.

Has been working perfectly since I installed it.

rxb216 11-29-2007 08:21 PM

thanks for this info jbabey, being a sprint user myself, I'll stick to my 1.41, and am glad I didn't go through with the upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBabey (Post 130006)
1.43 hosed my phones radio so i would avoid it like the plague (sprint). 1.41 worked wonderfully and i wish i never put 1.43 on my device.

If i had to wager a guess I would say that 1.43 runs the radio out of tolerance ranges and is a slow death for your hardware. It also may just be a coincidence that after i installed 1.43 i got horrid reception dropped calls, shit internet tethering. It also would not let me downgrade (yes i know what im doing).

Anyways 1.41 is excellent, 1.27 was great as well.

edufur 12-02-2007 04:19 PM

update. while my upgrade to 1.41 (sprint) was successful, i was hoping it would improve my office reception. it did not. it didnt hurt matters though.

sheetalc 12-02-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trident (Post 128541)
I used this to upgrade my Sprint Apache a while ago.

If I use the attached file provided, will it overwrite my custom ROM? Ir just upgared the radioto 1.41? Thanks, just want to make sure.