PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: HTC Performance (overclocking) OEM

He wasnt giving an assumption but was giving an analogy to help others better understand what it is you are trying to do.

But again, why are you wasting your time on a dead device that USED to be so popular but is used by a very small percentage of the PPC population? Im not saying youre not smart because IDK you but it just seems to make more sense to invest your time and mental energy in a device that has future potential and not one of the past.

We all know and have known it can safely go to 624. We all know all of it has to be compatable or else thier would have been severe issues with it when we all stepped it up. But you want to speed something up that no one used anymore and even if you did it OC it, it would be like taking that 800 hp engine in ggurusuas' chevette and running it on fumes because it is still severely limited my its RAM when compared to todays higher applications and devices.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Audiovox / HTC XV-6700

tronnixx is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
He wasnt giving an assumption but was giving an analogy to help others better understand what it is you are trying to do.

But again, why are you wasting your time on a dead device that USED to be so popular but is used by a very small percentage of the PPC population? Im not saying youre not smart because IDK you but it just seems to make more sense to invest your time and mental energy in a device that has future potential and not one of the past.

We all know and have known it can safely go to 624. We all know all of it has to be compatable or else thier would have been severe issues with it when we all stepped it up. But you want to speed something up that no one used anymore and even if you did it OC it, it would be like taking that 800 hp engine in ggurusuas' chevette and running it on fumes because it is still severely limited my its RAM when compared to todays higher applications and devices.
I still use this phone for myself and I bet there are still others out there using it so I do not consider it a waist of time. To be honest, I am waisting more time arguing with the other guy about whether or not it is a system on a chip or not. That was a waist of time.

If you, or anyone has a question on a newer phone like the Touch I would be more than happy to help with that too. I am familur with most of the new processors but I kept on seeing these posts all over the web about the HTC Performance utility and if it actually works or not so I just thought I would help resolve and put it to rest you follow?

p.s. If that's your dog in the pic it's huge!!! Dogs are great. I got a Black Lab/pitbull mix.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

Not trying to argue here but look at the stats of how many hits and posts a day the 6700 forum gets v/s the Titan/Mogul or TP and you will see what I am saying about people no longer using the 6700. But again, since you have one and are passionate about doing something with it, kudos to you brother. IDK how long you have been lurking but understand this, if you have the understandings and trainings as well as background education to do things of this nature then (me personally) it would make more sense to apply that to the 6800/TP because no one has ever been able to 'step it' or OC it whereas the 6700 has been mastered by many.

That dog in the avatar is not mine but is like mine. I do have an avatar of mine but the avatars are too small here so I had to Google one. That is a Mastiff AKA English Mastiff. All males will reach or exceed 200lbs. I have 3 Mastiffs and a Rottie.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
Not trying to argue here but look at the stats of how many hits and posts a day the 6700 forum gets v/s the Titan/Mogul or TP and you will see what I am saying about people no longer using the 6700. But again, since you have one and are passionate about doing something with it, kudos to you brother. IDK how long you have been lurking but understand this, if you have the understandings and trainings as well as background education to do things of this nature then (me personally) it would make more sense to apply that to the 6800/TP because no one has ever been able to 'step it' or OC it whereas the 6700 has been mastered by many.

That dog in the avatar is not mine but is like mine. I do have an avatar of mine but the avatars are too small here so I had to Google one. That is a Mastiff AKA English Mastiff. All males will reach or exceed 200lbs. I have 3 Mastiffs and a Rottie.
200lbs? Damn!

Let me ask you, the "TP" your speaking of is the Touch Pro? The qualcomm cpu? I know the OMAP can be stepped but I don't know much about the
qualcomm cpu but I will check it out and see. If people have tried but could not step it chances are you cant (easily anyways). The CPU has to be able to support dynamic voltage management (DVM), have a clkset parameter or basically some type of software configurable parameters of the cpu's voltage, freq, multipliers, etc. for it to be soft stepped. If these parameters are not software configurable then the only other chance is hardware clocking which is a bit involved and risky. Just confirm for me if its the qualcomm and cpu model and I will look into it for you...

p.s. Qualcomm sucks with product documentation. It's difficult to find qualcomm info, it seams much of it needs to be requested so I will have to contact them for the technical documents unless anyone else here has them already.

Last edited by tronnixx; 02-03-2009 at 01:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Yeah I was saying the TP (Touch Pro) but I meant the Titan/Mogul/6800. Sry.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I did a quick search for qualcomm overclocking info and everything is over a year old. Looks like some people thought about it, but never developed anything.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Lurker

It seams they both utilize the qualcomm, the 6800 uses the msm7500 (400mhz) and the touch pro the MSM7201A (528mhz)...

Ok, well as you know the same method would probably work on both but it's finding the method if it exists, if not hardware clocking is the only option.

I e-mailed qualcomm for a Developers Refference and e-mailed HTC for a API Integration guide. More then likely Qualcomm will get me something because I have heard others complaining about HTC not being developer friendly...

I will keep you guys updated, I cannot do much without the developer refferences. If anyone ever breaks there 6800 or touch pro beyond repair I could use that too, only once I have Qualcomms refference. It doesnt matter if the LCD or any other external component is broken. I just would need the internal board with the processor and I can access it via the serial/usb ports.

If I can get that guide from qualcomm I might not even need one to experiment with it all depends if it's software clockable. If it is I don't need it, if its not I will have to hardware clock but cant do that without the hardware.

I will keep looking... Your help is appreciated, I clicked the Thanks button.

Last edited by tronnixx; 02-04-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronnixx View Post
You just made me pull my hair out...
It's not off base at all. You may not be able to tell me about the engineering of it, but I can assure you that I can.
So enlighten me. So far, all you've done is spout off about how the xscale can run faster and completely dismissed what effect that might have on the rest of the system. Heck, you've completely dismissed that there IS a rest of the system.
Quote:
I have worked with the XScale in many embedded systems. It's part of what I do...
good for you. Not relevent to the subject at hand, however, as we both agree that the component itself is designed to run at higher speeds under normal conditions.

Quote:
The processor in the 6700 is most of the system, hence that is why they call it a System on Chip.
lol - you've got that completely backwards. It's called a SoC because you don't need much more for a base system, not because in a given application there isn't much more. BTW, there is quite a bit more in these devices than just the CPU - you don't even have to open the case to know that.
[quote]But what I am telling you is that it is designed to run safely at up to 624Mhz. Again, it will run warmer but it will not damage it. [quote]Yep. No argument that the PXA270 can do it. Like I said though, there are other parts to the system, and you can't answer the question without factoring their performance in as well.[quote]HTC and many other OEMs choose the XScale (or other SoCs) because they contain most of the system within and therefore it means less engineering and external components.[quote]yep. Lot's of good benefit from using standard, well-known parts.
Quote:
You cannot compare the XScale to a Intel Pentium, or a car for that matter.
Sure you can, it just depends on how detailed you want to be. Obviously you're not going to use a gas engine as your CPU, but clearly cars and electronics can react poorly when stock parts are run outside of their stock configurations. <--- that's a comparison of an xscale, a pentium, and a car, in case you missed it.
Quote:
The XScale contains MOST of the internal systems that would be affected by a clock change.
see the word MOST there? Unless it's ALL, you haven't finished your research. And lets not even get into that you're looking at them discretely as well as assuming standard operating conditions.
Quote:
The only components external to the CPU that would be affected by the speed of the proccessor would be the EEPROM/RAM/ROM chips but it would not damage them because the requirments on the pxa270 for the memory are compatible at 624mhz too.. I did my research
Not enough research, though. There are plenty more systems in the phone external to the PXA270 than memory, and speed isn't the only factor.

Quote:
Now, indirectly speeding up the clock increases current draw (of course) on other components but the power devices and hardware in the XV6700 can tolerate it. It's quite a well built system.
and there, of course, is the big quesiton: How do you know it? Unless you work for HTC, it's unlikely you have engineering drawings, so what you're really doing is providing a (hopefully educated) guess - which is quite a bit different than fact.

Quote:
I don't understand how people that don't understand the inner engineering of something can argue with someone who does...
Exactly. A whole company of engineers with *gasp* actual data *gasp* decided to sell it at 400mHz, but they're no match for your powers of deduction. Frankly, your focus on the PXA270 as all you need to look at screams inexperience, at a minimum.

Quote:
Please, do your research before making such an assumption... If you would like to continue this debate on a technical level go to: http://www.phytec.com/pdf/datasheets/PXA270_DS.pdf (PXA270 Design PDF). In particular, look at Page 14 (The Block Diagram). Most of the systems built in to this processor are those that are on the motherboard in a typical PC. Such as Real-Time Clocks, Serial UARTS, etc.
What'd be the point? There isn't any disagreement that the PXA270 is designed to handle it under normal conditions. The question is whether "normal conditions" are all it's going to see and how the rest of the system is going to fare.

It boils down to this: There is precious little technical info available with which to answer the question, and without knowing WHY the phone is sold everywhere at 400Mhz, it is consequently difficult to answer definitively if running it faster will damage it in a material way.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Oldguy
Pocket PC: Moto DROID
Carrier: vzw

nuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuffnuguy knows their stuff

Ok guys, I have a couple old 6700's layin around and keep thinking about projects for them, so I for one would be happy to hear about some actual progress here instead of bickering.

I am using a 6800 and have a spare so that would be great to find a new bump for too.

Who cares if the guy wants to "waste his time" on an obsolete device. It is his time after all.. _s well there are still other people who are using the damned things too.

So I for one say: lead, follow, or get out of the way!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuguy View Post
Ok guys, I have a couple old 6700's layin around and keep thinking about projects for them, so I for one would be happy to hear about some actual progress here instead of bickering.

I am using a 6800 and have a spare so that would be great to find a new bump for too.

Who cares if the guy wants to "waste his time" on an obsolete device. It is his time after all.. _s well there are still other people who are using the damned things too.

So I for one say: lead, follow, or get out of the way!
What progress are you expecting to see that isnt already there for the 67. This entire thread is about OC'ing and there are already several apps (my favorite is Pocket Hack Master) and we have known for years that the 67 can go up to 624. Almost everyones device can handle 624 while a minute few will lock up at 624 and NO ONE can go above 624. So what progress are you expecting. With its now aging hardware architecture and limited RAM (when compared to newer models) it is IMO it isnt worth looking into further when (there again) it cant go past 624.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development