PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: The Pro 2.0
Carrier: Sprint

Ovendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuffOvendoor knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Idiot View Post
You know you're a ppc geek when you spend 6700 hours trying to get your 6700 to go .67 of a second faster.
Hilarious, true, and very sad, all @ the same time.

Having said that..

Has anyone ran this .cab along with the typical speed hacks (glyph cache, fatfs, etc.)?
If so, what type of results did you see?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: SprintTouch Pro 2

ChristianProgrammer is a n00b
Addendum

Ran at 520 yesterday all day from full charge. Had to actually USE the phone Google maps and a handful of short phonecalls. Early 4-5 AM 100% Charge,,,

this morning 30%...

I'm guessing that was mostly the Google maps...

Just an update...

Last edited by ChristianProgrammer; 01-22-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Type-o
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx134 View Post
I mentioned long ago in both Xcpu & PHM my findings on the 6700, to disable autoscaling & also increasing the "Bus" speed as being more effective than just CPU speed. :P

For those of you who want the best performance on a 6700:

Turn on "VJLumosII" (to disable auto-scale)
Open Pocket Hack Master.
Set speed to either:
520Mhz,260B,130m,65lcd
546Mhz,273b,137m,68lcd
572Mhz,286b,143m,72lcd
Goto settings/system/backlight.
Lower brightness.
Goto PHM & exit application.
Open "CPU-ID".
Verify unit still running overclocked without PHM.
Open "acbPowermeter" to verify unit using less Ma draw.
Open TCPMP player & open a video.
In TCPMP select file/benchmark and verify HUGE increase in performance.

There you have it...
Your unit will revert to normal when you turn off.
I forgot to state in my post that the "LumosII" proggy would benefit either overclockers to draw less MA since they can be disabled & you will still Be overclocked untill shutdown or sleep.
The sole reason for me choosing PHM is that it enables me to choose a specific setting wich on the 6700 works best.
The settings I posted from PHM all work better than stock 624Mhz of Xcpuscalar...

The HTC overclock proggy is not making any verifiable difference that i could prove.. but when left on it actually did affect my speed configuration tests in PHM (no good to have more than one overclock proggy on!)

CopyCounsler it will be a benefit 2 us 2 post whatever you have for automation of the LumosII. The PHM has a setting for itself in edit/settings...

Last edited by Maxx134; 01-22-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: ppc6800 - bye bye ppc6700
Carrier: spcs

CopyCounsler is a n00b
Ok.. busy over the weekend but did have a chance to prove some things once and for all.

First off, Lumos works. Second, I'll have some future postings with some automation for all to enjoy.

I've noticed when I use my phone intensively, it pays to turn on phm. Otherwise, it's more beneficial to the battery to do NOTHING to the cpu speed at all.

Also, I've been running with all the glyph cache and fat settings to the max (32767 and 8096 respectively) throughout all the testing.

Just for those wondering what I've been up to, take a peek at the screenshot. More to come...!

Copy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sshot007.jpg (65.0 KB, 99 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CopyCounsler is a n00b
Ok guys and gals here you go. These are extremely beta and comments/suggestions welcome.

PHMLoader.exe
AltCamera.exe

These both assume 2 things: (besides .NET framework)
1)VJLumosII is installed on your main memory. (default dirs)
2)PHM is installed on your main memory. (default dirs)

Now. PHM should be set to minimize automatically on autoload in the settings.

Heres what they do:
PHMLoader - Will take a snapshot of your backlight settings, load VJLumosII and then load PHM. Once finished, your screen will be locked (your slide out will not work anymore cuz of lumos) and your screen backlight will return to its original setting once user input is detected.
VJLumosII is loaded along with PHM automatically.

AltCamera - Will stop VJLumosII from running and then start camera upon successfully doing so. Will also monitor and restore brightness settings as well as fire up VJLumosII back up after CLOSING, i repeat CLOSING camera. If you do not exit camera, this program will continually wait for you to close it before restoring VJLumosII.

I suggest putting PHMLoader in your startup folder and assigning altcamera to your camera button.

VJLumosIII allows me to detect if you have vj even running to see if I need to shut it down before running camera, I may or may not even bother continuing development on using it. It would run a bit fancier though...

Also, when running camera, I do not disable PHM so whatever speeds you have set is what the camera will operate on.

ANYWAY, ENJOY everyone.

Copy

EDIT: disclaimer: not responsible for loss of sleep, battery, data or relationships when using these programs! :P
Attached Files
File Type: zip PHMLoader.zip (4.1 KB, 34 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip AltCamera.zip (4.0 KB, 35 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by CopyCounsler; 01-22-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work
Excellent work CopyCounsler,

I find it interesting that you've discovered that it's favorable batterywise to use no PHM instead of scaling. It sounds like in this case - XCPUScalar's "hibernate" feature is preferable.

Also - when your automated combination is running, we're unable to slide out the keyboard or rotate the screen? Is that correct?

Finally, Maxx134 asserted that the previously stated lower clockspeeds in PHM are superior to 624 in XCPUscalar. Is that through benchmarking I assume?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

CopyCounsler is a n00b
Whenever LumosII or LumosIII is running, it locks the screen display to whatever it is currently on. All keyboard slide events are ignored and do not change the perspective. The button on HTC Home will still do it on a click but the event is in turn broken with the use of lumos. (Which actually I've found to be appealing because when i quick want to text someone, I used to flip the keyboard and give it a breather before I go and type -- but now, I just crank away and no missed letters)

I've got some more scaling tests to do with PHM and will have the results posted soon (I hope) -- then its off to XCPU testing for a final verdict.

Also I'm experimenting with the PHM "autoscale CPU disable" /feature/ to see how it acts on battery/performance consumption.

More to come...

Copy

EDIT: forgot to mention, I'm going to hook my multimeter up tonight and measure "downtime" in realtime to test the ("XCPUScalar's "hibernate" feature is preferable.") is actually preferable or not...

Last edited by CopyCounsler; 01-23-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

PolloLoco is keeping up the good workPolloLoco is keeping up the good work
Sweet. I love how thorough you're being, especially with the multimeter. I'd love to see multimeter comparisons between active use as well as dormant.

Right now, I could go either way between PHM and XCPU but I'm leaning towards staying with XCPUScalar longterm because of stability - and perhaps battery life. Battery life will be key, I think.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
Excellent work CopyCounsler.....

Finally, Maxx134 asserted that the previously stated lower clockspeeds in PHM are superior to 624 in XCPUscalar. Is that through benchmarking I assume?
Yes you can use TCPMP and select file/benchmark to verify.

Both the : (546Mhz,273b,137m,68lcd) AND the (572Mhz,286b,143m,72lcd)
are faster simply because of the higher Bus speed than stock208..

None of my 3 refurbs were ever able to reach 624Mhz though, so for newer refurbs this seems to be the best setting.

If you have Xcpuscalar or PHM and want to experience less process/ram, and Ma overhead while overclocked, you also can try this:

Connect 6700 to USB external power (either to comp or power supply)
Run your favorite overclock program
Set highest stable speed.
Close overclock program
Run "CPU-ID".(to verify still overclocked while plugged in)
I do this whenever synced and also when using "Internet Sharing"
I havent measured sync performance but it is faster

Your unit reverts back to normal when you disconnect from external power...

Last edited by Maxx134; 01-24-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Fathom
Carrier: verizon

eatbuckshot is just getting started
Oh i can totally vouch for this as well, It's been a while since i've came on the forums but several months ago when i found out about PHM and its features i've just been madly overclocking my phone. I concluded the same thing as Maxx134 did:
Raising the ram and bus speeds really do help quicken things up. Cpu did as well of course.
I didn't do any real benchmarks except making a basic timing program in VB and timing the latency between landscape and portrait modes on the home screen. I did get consistent results in that running my phone at
CPU: 598.00MHz, Bus: 299.00MHz, and RAM: 149.50
speed things up immensly. I wish that wm6 was optimized for this phone so that it would be ever so faster. I also tested at super slow speeds(26 mhz anyone?) and conversely things.. err.. happend quite slowly like opening the start menu took like 10 seconds, or to even get a answer the phone dialoag took 3 minutes.. lol

Anywho more specifically my settings were
L: 23
N: 4
A: 1
LCD_26: 0
Turbo: checked
half-turbo: not checked
Fastbus : checked

I could reach 624mhz but it was not stable at all lots of freezes 598mhz works with almost everything except for wifi, probably because of the high increases in bus speed. Videos in tcmp replay back flawlessly

This has been my first PDA phone, and i thought it was going to be quite a bit faster than my dads vx6600, but i was quite wrong. I didn't even realize that my dad's phone was running wm2003 and i was wm5/6 and that the difference was the o/s wasn't in ram anymore. It makes me quite sad that new wm5/6 devices are sooooo slow compared to that of vx6600s D: (at least the ones i've seen are slow) My biggest pet peeve is waiting for the screen to change or to fully refresh or seeing it lag just browsing a folder or something just etc normal tasks. Are there any such phones out there? i'd love to see those 1 ghz phones come out

Last edited by eatbuckshot; 01-25-2008 at 12:17 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Apache > HTC Apache Development