PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Nokia to have Android as "backup plan" to WP8 failure. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150516)

orangekid 07-06-2012 10:45 AM

Re: Nokia to have Android as "backup plan" to WP8 failure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2182753)
Because no one will develop apps for them.

Nokia is still working through the denial that it used to be the top handset maker. Once it downsizes to about HTC size, it will be fine. It's getting there.

It's unfortunate that they were SO SLOW to get the WP7.x phones out (these were a "done deal" in august of 2011, when I left Nokia, but in typical Nokia fashion it took them another 6 months to squeeze them out.) Had they released them in the summer of 2011, everyone would have had 18 months before WP8 phones came out, and no one would be *that* upset. Hell, apple does this by design.

So, yeah, TWO reboots of the winphone market, and poor Nokia jumps in just before the second one. Keep in mind all Nokia did was take a non-selling symbian phone and turn it into a non-selling WP7.5 phone, so from their perspective it wasn't much of a loss.

Well I hope for their sake that WP8 does better than WP7, because I actually like Nokia's phones as far as build quality (like the Lumia900 for instance)

alphaxi3 07-15-2012 10:22 PM

This will be WP's year. Bank on it.

orangekid 07-15-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaxi3 (Post 2183360)
This will be WP's year. Bank on it.

We shall see

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

boredandtattooed 07-16-2012 12:00 AM

Nokia alone can't/isn't gonna save Windows Phone... Especially since they just ripped off customers with their first great(assumption) Devices-Lumia's.. - I consider putting out phones like that, then making it obsolete the next day basically when WP8 made its no phone will be upgradeable announcement...

If Nokia wants any luck in the US, and at this point its looking like save their legacy, their gonna need something with android if not sooner than later..

IMO

eric12341 07-16-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2183369)
Nokia alone can't/isn't gonna save Windows Phone... Especially since they just ripped off customers with their first great(assumption) Devices-Lumia's.. - I consider putting out phones like that, then making it obsolete the next day basically when WP8 made its no phone will be upgradeable announcement...

If Nokia wants any luck in the US, and at this point its looking like save their legacy, their gonna need something with android if not sooner than later..

IMO

@boredandtattooed so many fallacies in this post. Nobody was ripped off since most who purchased the Lumia 900 got it for free or very low prices, also the price of the 900 recently dropped to $50. The general public also doesn't seem to care if they can't get updated to WP8 because both the lumias were still in the top 5 sales after that announcement.

schettj 07-16-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 2183369)

And I guarantee you they will never, ever, use android.

CE-Oh no he didn't!: Anssi Vanjoki says using Android is like peeing in your pants for warmth -- Engadget

Believe me, this isn't just one guy's feeling about android, at Nokia.

EyeB 07-16-2012 01:28 PM

I'm suprised that no one's ported android over to the lumia... not that I have much say in it since I dont know how or where to begin to learn lol

Seems like aside from the touch pro 2 and the newest hp touchpad, I just don't see android being ported onto non android devices.

I mean just because nokia doesn't want android, doesn't mean someone wont figure out how to get it there if they wanted.

austin420 07-16-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2183382)
Nobody was ripped off since most who purchased the Lumia 900 got it for free or very low prices, also the price of the 900 recently dropped to $50. The general public also doesn't seem to care if they can't get updated to WP8 because both the lumias were still in the top 5 sales after that announcement.

it doesnt matter what the price of the phone is. your paying for it via your 2 year or more contract. your paying for it by missing the opportunity to have a current and decent and upgradeable phone. you seem to forget the hiddwn costs. its not just the initial 50 or 100 dollars you put down.
also, people may not seem to care, but as long as big news sites like cnet keep putting these out, Lumia 900 still a raw deal despite heavy discount | Mobile - CNET News people will care. they will see this article after theyve already bought the phone and feel jaded by nokia and windowz phone and maybe consider not buying one again.

orangekid 07-16-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 2183412)
it doesnt matter what the price of the phone is. your paying for it via your 2 year or more contract. your paying for it by missing the opportunity to have a current and decent and upgradeable phone. you seem to forget the hiddwn costs. its not just the initial 50 or 100 dollars you put down.
also, people may not seem to care, but as long as big news sites like cnet keep putting these out, Lumia 900 still a raw deal despite heavy discount | Mobile - CNET News people will care. they will see this article after theyve already bought the phone and feel jaded by nokia and windowz phone and maybe consider not buying one again.

Agreed 100%

I'm done beta testing MS phones...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

boredandtattooed 07-16-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 2183412)

This is what I meant....

And @ Eric, top 5 devices ? Out of what 5 phones? There's very few Current WPs to choose from, let alone high end.... It took WP like 18months to come out with a great phone(assuming WP is capable of greatness at its early age)