PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Current devices will not be upgradable to WP8. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150399)

DavidinCT 06-20-2012 06:39 PM

Current devices will not be upgradable to WP8.

You will get a update to 7.8 that will give you the tile interface like WP8 has but, due to the MAJOR changes in Windows Phone 8 current devices could not handle it. The only changes in the 7.8 update is the updated tiles, nothing else.

Yes, WP8 is going dual core !

Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7.8 update for current hardware | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

It's a good and bad thing. If you were an early adopter(GSM models on release), your 2 year should be up in fall (on release time). If your with Sprint or Verizon, well, late spring/early summer 2013 for(if you got it on release) your 2 year to be up.

If you like WP7, read up on WP8, with true hardware access, direct C/C++ support, it's going to be an awsome gaming machine. Everything WP7 should of been.

I did watch the 2 and 1/2 hour Windows Phone 8 press statement today... It's inpressive. Not sold on the new tile layout but, I think it will grow on me.

If you just got a new 2nd gen unit(lumia 900/Titan 2), I'd be a little upset too....

eric12341 06-20-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Current devices will not be upgradable to WP8.

7.8 hasn't really been fully detailed yet, it is still possible that it'll receive all the non hardware dependent features that are in WP8. Either way though I was planning to get a WP8 anyway so this news doesn't affect me, just tired of all the complaints and "I'm going iPhone or Droid" comments.

DavidinCT 06-20-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2181699)
7.8 hasn't really been fully detailed yet, it is still possible that it'll receive all the non hardware dependent features that are in WP8. Either way though I was planning to get a WP8 anyway so this news doesn't affect me, just tired of all the complaints and "I'm going iPhone or Droid" comments.

It's been publicly stated that 7.8 will only offer the GUI changes, nothing in the subsystem. Watch the show, the 2 and 1/2 hour show, they clearly say, that the only features 7.5 users will get is the new start menu.

Same here for grabbing a WP8 device, depending on what Verizon carries. I got my Trophy with out a contract so I still have my New Every 2 credit sitting with Verizon ($100 of a new phone).

Did you watch the whole thing today ? I was pretty blown away.

No question, I will be buying one. I picked up WP7 knowing that they will have to do a major upgrade to this to complete with other products out there. I love my WP7 device and after owning it for a while, they made it a ton better (mango) and still planning a big upgrade.

The only people who should be bitching is the people who just signed a 2 year for a device.

I just hope Verizon gets a few models to chose from...

schettj 06-20-2012 10:40 PM

Existing wp7 devices stay on win ce core. New wp8 devices get the common NT core. Big big difference. Basically wp8 is windows RT plus voice. The bridge devices get a token GUI update which is better than nothing (wp7.5 is a pretty decent phone experience) and the no upgrade path thing has to be the worst kept secret ever. Wow. I posted that from my titan.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

orangekid 06-21-2012 12:21 PM

I feel bad for all those suckers who subsidized a WP7 phone recently (Lumia 900 etc...)

demonlordoftheround 06-21-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2181746)
I feel bad for all those suckers who subsidized a WP7 phone recently (Lumia 900 etc...)

Those folks that recently bought a Lumia 900 just got kicked in the nuts.

orangekid 06-21-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2181749)
Those folks that recently bought a Lumia 900 just got kicked on the nuts.

yeah or a Titan2 or a Focus S :S

deadwrong03 06-21-2012 01:01 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; mwp6985))

I was already planning on paying full retail anyway because I have to pay full retail for Verizon in order to keep my unlimited data so hopefully sell my trophy for 100 or 200 and put the rest with it for a new wp8

or hopefully the old insurance replacement trick works and u get ur phone replaced with a wp8

eric12341 06-21-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2181746)

Well alot of them got it for free or for a steal so not a big deal as actually paying for it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2181749)
Those folks that recently bought a Lumia 900 just got kicked in the nuts.

Not really,if it matters to people and if they really want something they will pay for it. Examples are the millions who upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S for one new feature or the lot of us on here who upgraded to the ELTE from the 3VO that was released just last year.

orangekid 06-21-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2181758)
Well alot of them got it for free or for a steal so not a big deal as actually paying for it.

No one got a Lumia for free bro, it finally came down to $100 right now.

Nokia Lumia 900 - White cell phone from AT&T

AND they got stuck in a 2 year agreement so they can't get an SGS3 or iPhone 5 upgraded either. It was a total waste of upgrade and $200 or $100 for a device that is now obsolete. Shit, even the 3GS (a 3 year old device) is getting an iOS6 update!

I think MS really should have said something sooner instead of royally screwing over anyone with a WP7 device.

demonlordoftheround 06-21-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2181758)
Not really,if it matters to people and if they really want something they will pay for it. Examples are the millions who upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S for one new feature or the lot of us on here who upgraded to the ELTE from the 3VO that was released just last year.

You may have something there. Sales of WP7 have been lukewarm at best.

eric12341 06-21-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2181764)
No one got a Lumia for free bro, it finally came down to $100 right now.

Nokia Lumia 900 - White cell phone from AT&T

AND they got stuck in a 2 year agreement so they can't get an SGS3 or iPhone 5 upgraded either. It was a total waste of upgrade and $200 or $100 for a device that is now obsolete. Shit, even the 3GS (a 3 year old device) is getting an iOS6 update!

I think MS really should have said something sooner instead of royally screwing over anyone with a WP7 device.

When the lumia 900 was released it had a problem and Nokia credited everyone who bought one $100 (the price of the phone) so that's how I say it was free. They can still upgrade but they have to pay full retail and that is my point. If they want something they will get it, this has happened with every iteration of the iPhone thus far. Also as I said on WPCentral I think they (MS) are treating the HD7,Titan,lumia etc like how apple treated the iPhone 2 and 3G, give them a couple major updates then it's time to move on. This should be different for WP 8 as MS said they would provide the devices with 18 months worth of updates. The Lumia 900 etc also aren't obsolete because it's rumored that 7.8 will contain at least some of what WP 8 has to offer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2181768)
You may have something there. Sales of WP7 have been lukewarm at best.

That's because of ignorant carrier salespeople, this should change with WP8 as 3 of the 4 major carriers seem to be pretty excited about it.

EyeB 06-21-2012 10:20 PM

windows phone seems lukewarm to me mainly because I can't see how the tiles are different than widgets on android :S both provide information without opening apps... WP scrolls vertically and android goes horizontally

social media integration might lean to WP (can't confirm, never tested this) but I'm not a social media person...

But windows phone has to provide me with something that I want before I consider buying it outside of it being a more social phone than competitors

eric12341 06-21-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeB (Post 2181780)
windows phone seems lukewarm to me mainly because I can't see how the tiles are different than widgets on android :S both provide information without opening apps... WP scrolls vertically and android goes horizontally

social media integration might lean to WP (can't confirm, never tested this) but I'm not a social media person...

But windows phone has to provide me with something that I want before I consider buying it outside of it being a more social phone than competitors

Well integrated VoIP for one, that's new. It's also based off the NT kernel rather than the CE kernel, that alone is pretty kickass and will enable lots of cool features.

fixxxer2012 06-21-2012 10:55 PM

no doubt this was a crap move by microsoft. thats like saying i have to buy a new pc/laptop to run w8.

EyeB 06-22-2012 02:51 AM

reminds me of my touch pro 2... it starts with wm6, gets upgrade to 6.5 in lue of wp7...

wp7 gets 7.8 in lue of wp8...

wp8 will get wp8.5 in lue of wp9?

i might not be a "consumer" type but I do like to "invest" in new gadgets, it just better be something worth investing in, money and time. I go to fast food to "consume" a quick meal but if I want a nice dinner out I'll invest in it both for the price and time so I'll also dress up nicely too.

Right now windows phone is boardering on McDonald quality, it delivers fast and has lots of do you want ____ with it? But it just doesn't have anything to keep me from putting it down when I'm phone shopping. I know android has the same problem, but it can keep me interested enough because it offers me actual services (google maps/music/store). iphone offers me a nice camera but I dont use it so I don't buy into it. I'll admit that I really don't have much experience with a windows phone. I can't find one cheap enough to be worth buying to play with :S From all the reviews on it, I can't see anything I like outside of novalty and even that wears out if i use the phone everyday.

orangekid 06-22-2012 10:04 AM

Yeah MS really dropped the ball on this.

The Lumia was $200 with a contract on release, so even if they credited anyone $100 (which I never heard about...) then they still burned $100 AND a 2 year upgrade! (which costs a lot more) because people didn't believe their device would be worthless in a few months. Not only that but the Focus S and Titan 2 were also $200 with an upgrade, same thing.

If those people had been told what MS had planned, they could have bought an iPhone 4S or waited for the 5 or a Galaxy Note, or waited for the SGS3 or something, but not burned money and an upgrade on a device with utterly outdated software in 6 months time...

That 7.8 crap is just a gimmick, nothing more. Some GUI changes, nothing core, nothing major, nothing good. MS tries to sell us on them being a mobile competitor but then does this? What's the point of buying a WP8 device? So we can beta test their OS again for a couple years before they screw us again?

Yeah I'll be getting my SGS3 and not even looking at WP8, or maybe I'll pick one up for $50 2 weeks after it's released since the 3rd party prices on WP7 phones tank faster than anything I've ever seen.

orangekid 06-22-2012 10:07 AM

btw, check the ATT site, the focus S is STILL $200 with a contract!!!

so they are burning people left and right with this!

They should at least have a warning next to the phone saying it's not getting supported after the crappy UI 7.8 change!

DavidinCT 06-22-2012 11:01 AM

I can see why people are upset and feel a little burned. I guess it's not even close to how Android has been for years. They are still selling Android 2.3 devices out there.

Apple ? Yes, your 3GS gets iOS6 but, a stripped down version. Maybe a little better but, in some way do you think Apple could be holding themselves back to make sure they support everything ?

It's a questionable move by Microsoft. On one side, they could of supported everyone with WP8 but, it would of been a move backwards due to all the new tech in devices today. On another side, it's almost like starting over, Now they can pick the hardware and software then work with older software.

THe biggest issue that people have said about WP7 was 2 things. THe OS got good reviews by NON-Fanboys, the biggest issue people said was, no dual core and Apps. That should be covered now and moving forward it should be a lot better.

I would honestly feel screwed if I just signed a new 2 year for a Lumia 900/Titan 2. 7.8 will give the feel but, nothing more.

I honestly was planning to get a 2nd gen device but, maybe I am glad Verizon didn't get the Lumia 900 earler. I really was expecting a dual core with a 4" or higher display. I guess I will have to wait a little longer. It does look like WP8 will be a device to really compete with Every thing out there tho.

PS. Amazon wireless had the Lumia 900 at one point for $0.01 with a new 2 year. AND Nokia was giving people $100 credits for the issues, if you played your cards right, you could of gotten $100 and a Lumia 900.

PS Orangekid, got a question for you, CHK your PM

schettj 06-22-2012 11:20 AM

So, to recap... Microsoft rebrands Wp6.5 as WP7, shipping with a single app (silverlight) running on WinCE, with a limited .net library for devs, and a locked down hardware spec.

They sell that as WP7 as they wait for the unified core code to progress... leading to windows 8 across all screens from desktop to phone. Metro is the touch interface. The Metro SDK is more or less uniform across all devices. problem is, the hardware required is a bit different than what WinCE (designed in the late 90s) needs.

Microsoft had three choices -
* continue selling WM6.5 with it's awesome XP interface from 2001,
* release a "bridge" OS that LOOKS like what they want to do in 2012/2013, and will help build a marketplace with apps, and at least give them a presence in the market.
* completely withdraw from the market.

They picked the middle one.

Now, it's time to move on

So, think of the current WP7x devices as "first/second generation" iPhones - you know, the ones that can't run iOS3, and are obsolete?

In a year, no one will care about this - Win8/WinPhone8/Surface tablets will either be a clear success, or not. If it works, then this strategy was great. If it doesn't they didn't lose anything by trying.

eric12341 06-22-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2181813)
Yeah MS really dropped the ball on this.

The Lumia was $200 with a contract on release, so even if they credited anyone $100 (which I never heard about...) then they still burned $100 AND a 2 year upgrade! (which costs a lot more) because people didn't believe their device would be worthless in a few months. Not only that but the Focus S and Titan 2 were also $200 with an upgrade, same thing.

If those people had been told what MS had planned, they could have bought an iPhone 4S or waited for the 5 or a Galaxy Note, or waited for the SGS3 or something, but not burned money and an upgrade on a device with utterly outdated software in 6 months time...

That 7.8 crap is just a gimmick, nothing more. Some GUI changes, nothing core, nothing major, nothing good. MS tries to sell us on them being a mobile competitor but then does this? What's the point of buying a WP8 device? So we can beta test their OS again for a couple years before they screw us again?

Yeah I'll be getting my SGS3 and not even looking at WP8, or maybe I'll pick one up for $50 2 weeks after it's released since the 3rd party prices on WP7 phones tank faster than anything I've ever seen.

You are overreacting a little I think. The 900 was never $199 with a contract it was $99 with some places even selling it for $49 so it's basically a free phone. No one knows all what 7.8 will entail, MS will detail it and WP8 more in future events. This was only a developer event,not consumer.

EyeB 06-22-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

and will help build a marketplace with apps, and at least give them a presence in the market.
except even these apps would no longer work on wp8... if the coding really is so different...

the windows market will have to be built from the ground up, again... as with windows mobile 6 apps not working on windows phone 7...

eric12341 06-22-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeB (Post 2181851)
except even these apps would no longer work on wp8... if the coding really is so different...

the windows market will have to be built from the ground up, again... as with windows mobile 6 apps not working on windows phone 7...

Apps built for WP 7.x will still run on WP8 and even W8 but apps built for WP8 will not work on WP 7.x without modification if native code was used.

schettj 06-23-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeB (Post 2181851)

Nope - You can target 7.x which will work thru Win8 Metro, *or* you can go WP8/Metro Only, *or* native, targeting (with multiple binaries) whichever arch you want to support.

Existing market stays the same.

It's just C# code, it's not magic.

steveo70 06-24-2012 12:07 AM

Lumia has always been 99$ from day 1 and credit is real. I bought one. Everything else is up for personal opinion and debate (yawn). That's why we have choices.

TexasAggie97 06-24-2012 06:03 PM

This news sucks! :-(

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App

eric12341 06-25-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 (Post 2181975)
This news sucks! :-(

@TexasAggie97 not really, all the Gen 1 handset owners are due for upgrades around that time. We also don't know all that 7.8 will include but it will still be supported by MS for at least another 2 years then it will be targeted for emerging markets.

orangekid 06-25-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2181845)
You are overreacting a little I think. The 900 was never $199 with a contract it was $99 with some places even selling it for $49 so it's basically a free phone. No one knows all what 7.8 will entail, MS will detail it and WP8 more in future events. This was only a developer event,not consumer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo70 (Post 2181932)
Lumia has always been 99$ from day 1 and credit is real. I bought one. Everything else is up for personal opinion and debate (yawn). That's why we have choices.

You are forgetting that this LOCKED you into a 2 year contract too, so you cannot get an upgrade to a way better phone that DOES get updates like an iPhone or Android device.

You are also forgetting about the Focus S and Titan 2 which are STILL at $200 at AT&T even though MS knows they will not update the phone. They are ripping off customers.

They should be paying us for beta-testing their OS for 2 years instead of trying to rip people off...

Will they pull the same stunt with WP9?

eric12341 06-25-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2182005)
You are forgetting that this LOCKED you into a 2 year contract too, so you cannot get an upgrade to a way better phone that DOES get updates like an iPhone or Android device.

You are also forgetting about the Focus S and Titan 2 which are STILL at $200 at AT&T even though MS knows they will not update the phone. They are ripping off customers.

They should be paying us for beta-testing their OS for 2 years instead of trying to rip people off...

Will they pull the same stunt with WP9?

You can get a better phone if you want, you just have to pay full retail for it. Apparently lots of people did this to go from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S for just one new feature. Also the 7.8 update hasn't been revealed fully, it may have more hardware independent features from WP8. It will also continue to be supported with apps and updates when appropriate. WP9 isn't for another 3 years, we'll worry about that when we get there. It'll be the same kernel so it shouldn't be an issue, all phones are guaranteed at least 18 months worth of updates from the time it's released. Has google ever put together a policy like that? There are still tons of android phones that haven't even gotten gingerbread and quite a few that won't even get ICS.

orangekid 06-25-2012 03:52 PM

You can get a better phone if you want, you just have to pay full retail for it. Apparently lots of people did this to go from the iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S for just one new feature. Also the 7.8 update hasn't been revealed fully, it may have more hardware independent features from WP8. It will also continue to be supported with apps and updates when appropriate. WP9 isn't for another 3 years, we'll worry about that when we get there. It'll be the same kernel so it shouldn't be an issue, all phones are guaranteed at least 18 months worth of updates from the time it's released. Has google ever put together a policy like that? There are still tons of android phones that haven't even gotten gingerbread and quite a few that won't even get ICS.

Yeah but you can easily flash any firmware version you want on Android phones, whereas you can't do that on a WP7 phone. MS has already said 7.8 is basically just a gui update, I don't see any core features.

Google doesn't need a cheap promise like that because they are not the only company who releases Android, they have no control over what HTC or Sammy does with the source code. WP7 and 8 are MS only, the manufacturers do not write their own code like with Android. The awesome thing about Android is that if you read enough you can make your phone do whatever the hell you want it to. I like WP7 and 8 UI, I really do, but until MS puts out something stable with real app support that doesn't change every 2 or 3 years then I just feel bad for people who buy WP7 phones.

And I'm not an MS hater, I actually like Windows 7 a lot, and I have my complaints about Android and iOS, but as a consumer I can't trust those guys with their ongoing beta test.

Let me get back to you in 5 years when they have a decent product.

eric12341 06-25-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2182029)

Yeah but you can easily flash any firmware version you want on Android phones, whereas you can't do that on a WP7 phone. MS has already said 7.8 is basically just a gui update, I don't see any core features.

Google doesn't need a cheap promise like that because they are not the only company who releases Android, they have no control over what HTC or Sammy does with the source code. WP7 and 8 are MS only, the manufacturers do not write their own code like with Android. The awesome thing about Android is that if you read enough you can make your phone do whatever the hell you want it to. I like WP7 and 8 UI, I really do, but until MS puts out something stable with real app support that doesn't change every 2 or 3 years then I just feel bad for people who buy WP7 phones.

And I'm not an MS hater, I actually like Windows 7 a lot, and I have my complaints about Android and iOS, but as a consumer I can't trust those guys with their ongoing beta test.

Let me get back to you in 5 years when they have a decent product.

True but what if you don't want to waste countless hours online trying to get the $200 phone you just bought to work the way it's supposed to? What if all you want is to unbox your phone and that's it? Gingerbread had some critical security changes and not many phones got it. As for WP8 they got it right this time, the reason why WM was so buggy was because the CE kernel didn't really support all the features WM has. It also didn't support advanced hardware (Android barely does as well). Reason why WP7 was on the CE kernel was because the RT (based on NT) kernel wasn't ready yet. So it was released so they can get mindshare and a presence in the mobile market and try to clear the bad rep they accumulated from WM6.5. Good news tho is that the NT kernel does support high end hardware(better than Android). This will allow for even better features to be added to WP8 and beyond. Also since WP8 and W8 share the same kernel they can run the same apps as long as the proper optimizations are done, imagine just downloading /buying one app and it work on all of your devices.

TexasAggie97 06-28-2012 10:23 PM

I just hope Google doesn't pull this crap with android! So far, being able to customize my Epic with a custom ROM is worth it.

eric12341 06-28-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 (Post 2182269)
I just hope Google doesn't pull this crap with android! So far, being able to customize my Epic with a custom ROM is worth it.

@TexasAggie97

They do it all the time, how many phones got ICS,gingerbread or even froyo? How many are going to get jellybean or lemon?

orangekid 06-29-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2182034)
True but what if you don't want to waste countless hours online trying to get the $200 phone you just bought to work the way it's supposed to? What if all you want is to unbox your phone and that's it? Gingerbread had some critical security changes and not many phones got it. As for WP8 they got it right this time, the reason why WM was so buggy was because the CE kernel didn't really support all the features WM has. It also didn't support advanced hardware (Android barely does as well). Reason why WP7 was on the CE kernel was because the RT (based on NT) kernel wasn't ready yet. So it was released so they can get mindshare and a presence in the mobile market and try to clear the bad rep they accumulated from WM6.5. Good news tho is that the NT kernel does support high end hardware(better than Android). This will allow for even better features to be added to WP8 and beyond. Also since WP8 and W8 share the same kernel they can run the same apps as long as the proper optimizations are done, imagine just downloading /buying one app and it work on all of your devices.

Out of the box a lot of Android phones are fine. You are comaring an entire ecosystem with code written by dozens of companies to one OS made by only ONE company, it is totally different.

If each OEM wrote their own WP7/8 code like with Android, they would botch it up a thousand times worse.

Oh and WP8 and W8 will not run the same apps, where did you get that from? They are going to be built completely separately unless they have an x86 version of WP8 or an ARM version of W8 which I haven't heard of.

Android will always have freedom and customizations over the other 2 operating systems. WP8 has slick UI animations and live tiles, but that shit gets old man. When will they actually have enough apps to rival the other 2 big operating systems?

Yeah you do have to do a bit more tweaking and we all know that All the different OS versions and stuff was a problem with Android, but 2.3 on Android is still better than WP7.5. And there's not room to talk when they are ditching an entire line of phones as obsolete.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2182282)
@TexasAggie97

They do it all the time, how many phones got ICS,gingerbread or even froyo? How many are going to get jellybean or lemon?

Well, they did not ditch an ENTIRE line of phones, or release phones barely months before announcing they will not be updated no matter what. It's not the same thing.

Apps made for "ICS" 99% of the time work for GB or even Froyo, but WP8 apps will not work on WP7 phones. It's not even close to the same thing. You're looking at an open-source eco-system where each OEM has to write their own code and updates and saying "look, they have some problems with updates" and then we see one OS made by One company for all phones and they do the same thing on purpose!

eric12341 06-30-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2182297)
Out of the box a lot of Android phones are fine. You are comaring an entire ecosystem with code written by dozens of companies to one OS made by only ONE company, it is totally different.

If each OEM wrote their own WP7/8 code like with Android, they would botch it up a thousand times worse.

Oh and WP8 and W8 will not run the same apps, where did you get that from? They are going to be built completely separately unless they have an x86 version of WP8 or an ARM version of W8 which I haven't heard of.

Android will always have freedom and customizations over the other 2 operating systems. WP8 has slick UI animations and live tiles, but that shit gets old man. When will they actually have enough apps to rival the other 2 big operating systems?

Yeah you do have to do a bit more tweaking and we all know that All the different OS versions and stuff was a problem with Android, but 2.3 on Android is still better than WP7.5. And there's not room to talk when they are ditching an entire line of phones as obsolete.

Well, they did not ditch an ENTIRE line of phones, or release phones barely months before announcing they will not be updated no matter what. It's not the same thing.

Apps made for "ICS" 99% of the time work for GB or even Froyo, but WP8 apps will not work on WP7 phones. It's not even close to the same thing. You're looking at an open-source eco-system where each OEM has to write their own code and updates and saying "look, they have some problems with updates" and then we see one OS made by One company for all phones and they do the same thing on purpose!

Both WP8 and W8 are using the NT kernel so apps written for either will work for either as long as the proper tweaks are made, WP7/8 will also run the same apps unless native code is used or if they require WP8 hardware. That's not due to happen for about 2 years from now. These are talked about on WPCentral all the time once you filter out all the whiners there.

DavidinCT 06-30-2012 12:59 PM

Sorry but, I get a trip on this discussion.

1. When Windows Phone 8 is released, Windows Phone 7.5 devices will NOT stop working, infact it will get some minor updates to have the updated interface.
2. All current apps will work with 7.5 and NEW apps will too for a long while. A programmer that DOES NOT need to use Native WP8 code would be dumb no to, more 7.5 devices=higher sales

Android does not do this ???? I can find, RIGHT NOW, Android 2.3 devices for sale with a 2 year contract. They will not get ANY updates to newer versions. At least Microsoft will give EVERY current user a 7.8 upgrade that includes a whole new start menu (new feature, not just bug fixes).

Anyone who reads a site like this or XDA would be in the almost geek level and would care about this. 95% of the people who pick up a phone pick it up because they like it, NOT because it will be ugpraded 6 months from now and they have never heard of XDA or WPCentral (I dont put this site as It's not a WP7 hub or anything)

I guess part of me says that IF I just got a Luima 900 and I was 31 days out, I would be a little disapointed but, I am a geek when it comes to that. Windows Phone 7 is a great OS. Nothing is going to change that.

If you really want the top of the top, with Windows Phone 8 requring Dual Core CPUs with all the extra physical and software upgrades, you need to upgrade your phone. Windows Phone 7 is about 2 years old now (fall time would be 2 years from release, right in line with their 18 month upgrade) and they need to compete.

Yes, My Trophy will not support it and yes, I am a little dispointed but, I do look forward to a new phone. I really look forward to Windows Phone 8...

Come on Verizon !!!!!

orangekid 07-01-2012 06:41 PM

They already stated wp8 apps will not be backwards compatible unless I missed something?

I'll wait till wp9 because maybe then they'll have their shit enough together to put out a product worth buying.

And android 2.3 still has more apps and done development than wp7 or wp8 probably will.

I get that some of you are diehard MS fans, but for me those phones (which i have used a lot) get so boring and useless so fast, and every time I pick one up I hope my mind will be changed, but I always sell it. WP8 ha better be way better of they want people to actually buy those phone and get more than 2% market share or wherever they're at now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric12341 07-01-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2182415)
They already stated wp8 apps will not be backwards compatible unless I missed something?

I'll wait till wp9 because maybe then they'll have their shit enough together to put out a product worth buying.

And android 2.3 still has more apps and done development than wp7 or wp8 probably will.

I get that some of you are diehard MS fans, but for me those phones (which i have used a lot) get so boring and useless so fast, and every time I pick one up I hope my mind will be changed, but I always sell it. WP8 ha better be way better of they want people to actually buy those phone and get more than 2% market share or wherever they're at now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WP8 apps will be backwards compatible unless they use native code which won't be for another 18 to 24 months. You say WP is boring and useless yet you're using an iPhone? Interesting.

orangekid 07-02-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2182421)
WP8 apps will be backwards compatible unless they use native code which won't be for another 18 to 24 months. You say WP is boring and useless yet you're using an iPhone? Interesting.

It's my backup phone. I keep a piece of crap 3GS sitting around for when I am between phones. I sold my Note and I am buying a Galaxy Nexus again today because I missed it, so in between I use my crappy 3GS (which btw is getting an iOS 6 update 3 years after it came out, so it's not worthless 3 6 months after it comes out)

lol at this:

"Microsoft’s senior marketing manager for Windows Phone, Greg Sullivan, says that it's not impossible to port WP8 on older devices, but the cost of doing that would be very high and the benefit very little - WP8 enables multi-core support, higher resolution screens, NFC, microSD card support and so on, none of which will make a difference on the legacy hardware."

from here.

It's just a different of preference. You seem to get really defensive and emotional over anything bad said about WP7/8 and you won't even admit that iOS and Android do have SOME benefits over it.

I will admit the unified ecosystem is pretty cool (even though I personally don't like metro on a PC) and that the overall UI is really smooth and cool, and even that for the hardware, the OS handled very well with lesser hardware than Android for instance.

But where it counts Android is just for me especially over WP7 and WP8 because I am not an idiot and I can actually read and follow directions on how to improve my device. My Galaxy Nexus I'm getting back today on AOKP in my opinion has no equal as far as phones go, I will be putting Jellybean on it so I can't wait.

But my on topic point is that even that quote above shows that MS could have ported WP8 to phones like the Lumia and Focus s, but it would "cost too much" shows how much they really CARE about customers and not money, right?

eric12341 07-02-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2182460)
It's my backup phone. I keep a piece of crap 3GS sitting around for when I am between phones. I sold my Note and I am buying a Galaxy Nexus again today because I missed it, so in between I use my crappy 3GS (which btw is getting an iOS 6 update 3 years after it came out, so it's not worthless 3 6 months after it comes out)

lol at this:

"Microsoft’s senior marketing manager for Windows Phone, Greg Sullivan, says that it's not impossible to port WP8 on older devices, but the cost of doing that would be very high and the benefit very little - WP8 enables multi-core support, higher resolution screens, NFC, microSD card support and so on, none of which will make a difference on the legacy hardware."

from here.

It's just a different of preference. You seem to get really defensive and emotional over anything bad said about WP7/8 and you won't even admit that iOS and Android do have SOME benefits over it.

I will admit the unified ecosystem is pretty cool (even though I personally don't like metro on a PC) and that the overall UI is really smooth and cool, and even that for the hardware, the OS handled very well with lesser hardware than Android for instance.

But where it counts Android is just for me especially over WP7 and WP8 because I am not an idiot and I can actually read and follow directions on how to improve my device. My Galaxy Nexus I'm getting back today on AOKP in my opinion has no equal as far as phones go, I will be putting Jellybean on it so I can't wait.

But my on topic point is that even that quote above shows that MS could have ported WP8 to phones like the Lumia and Focus s, but it would "cost too much" shows how much they really CARE about customers and not money, right?

I realize that all OSes have their pros and cons, they all work to achieve a goal and have different ways of doing so. All companies want to make money so it's understandable at the end of the day. No company cares about money or customers any more or less than the other.