PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 6700/T8585, Samsung i760, LG VS750
Carrier: T-Mobile, Reachout Wireless

n1nj4Lo is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo
File Migration From PC To WP7? [New WP7 User]

I'm looking for the easiest way to move music, pics, temp xap's and other files and data from my pc to my wp7...

How can I successfully do this?

I'm on XP so I can't use WMDC and Zune is of no help that I know of. Also I tried installing SkyDrive on XP and the setup file said not a valid win32 app, file or whatever.

Any other options?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: File Migration From PC To WP7? [New WP7 User]

If you have windows XP SP3 Zune software should install without a problem,it will only transfer media related files. As for the SkyDrive PC plugin, it is not supported in XP , see this page:

I can't load the SkyDrive app on my pc (xp with sp 3) - Microsoft Answers
The web version should work however, so that might be an option for the other files.

Welcome aboard to the WP side.

Last edited by eric12341; 06-18-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Send a message via AIM to n1nj4Lo Send a message via MSN to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Yahoo to n1nj4Lo Send a message via Skype™ to n1nj4Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
If you have windows XP SP3 Zune software should install without a problem,it will only transfer media related files. As for the SkyDrive PC plugin, it is not supported in XP , see this page:

I can't load the SkyDrive app on my pc (xp with sp 3) - Microsoft Answers
The web version should work however, so that might be an option for the other files.

Welcome aboard to the WP side.
How do I move media, I tried dragging a music folder to Zune and Zune didn't do anything...

Also how would I do it with web based SkyDrive. For instance my Android folder for the SD card, after it's moved to SkyDrive then what do I do to get it on the SD card?

I just want an app that'll turn my phone into a USB Drive.

I saw this How to turn your Windows Phone 7 device into a USB drive | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews but the last part confused me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPCentral
You can put any file you want in there, but of course, you can't access them on the device (e.g. Office docs). Overall, a nice little trick.
if you can't access it what's the point?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo View Post
How do I move media, I tried dragging a music folder to Zune and Zune didn't do anything...

Also how would I do it with web based SkyDrive. For instance my Android folder for the SD card, after it's moved to SkyDrive then what do I do to get it on the SD card?

I just want an app that'll turn my phone into a USB Drive.

I saw this How to turn your Windows Phone 7 device into a USB drive | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews but the last part confused me:if you can't access it what's the point?
You have to set Zune to look in those folders in the options, once you do that then whatever you put into or take away from those folders is reflected on your phone.

After a folder is uploaded to SkyDrive you hit download folder then select the SD card as the save as location. As for USB transfer of separate files that won't be possible till WP 8( a beta of such will probably be leaked next week). However the goal is to focus more on cloud storage.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yea I was trying to set up android sd and found out I had to do it a more complicated way...[REF] Tutorial: How to partition sd card to run wp7 and android from same sd card - xda-developers
Quote:
THIRD METHOD - USING A SINGLE SD CARD - HERE IS ANOTHER ALTERNATE METHOD PROPOSED BY XDA MEMBER HYELLOW (UPDATED)

1. Put your sd card inside the hd2 and power on.

2. Go to about screen, in settings, and reset your device. Let it reset and boot to WP7 again. While booting to WP7, it'll create the partitions it needs, so this is important. After you have gone through the setup wizard, go to about screen and reset your device again.

3. When it has booted into magldr screen, remove the sd card and insert into pc. (make sure that magldr is shown and stays there at bootup, otherwise it'll boot straight into wp7 without sd card and that is not what we want.

4. You'll see two partitions. A whopping 200mb of fat16 partition and the other is unformatted. Now right click on the unformatted partition and click delete. After that, click apply. Now you have unallocated space. Right click on the unallocated space and select create. Set parameters to logical and unformatted and size the partition. This will be your WP7 partition, so decide how much you want to allocate to it, this is permanent, no changes afterwards can be made. Also, make sure you move it to the end of the sd card in the same 'create' window. Hit apply. IMPORTANT When using this method make sure that the wp7 "unformatted partition" is larger than the Android partition otherwise the wp7 "unformatted partition" will move in 2nd place and you will not be able to resize the fat 16 / android partition.

5. Sit back and take a break.

break.

6. You now have a green fat16 partition to the left, some unallocated grey portion in the middle and your WP7 partition in modern turqoise colour on the far right. Agreed? Now remove the sd card from PC and insert in HD2.

7. After you have inserted the sd card, let it boot into WP7. Remember what your last action was when you were still in WP7? Yes, you pressed reset, so the device actually thinks he is still resetting the device. He might do it too, but just go through the setup wizard again.

8. Go to about screen and verify your storage. Don't look strange if when the storage has a different of about 1Gb, this is swallowed by WP7 for system stuff etc. Are you happy with the progress so far? Then power down your device and remove the sd card. Allow the HD2 to fully powered down as sometimes the screen is pitch black, but the device is still turning off.

9. Insert the sd card in pc and, using EASUS right click on the green fat 16 partition and select resize/move. Now fill up the rest of the unallocated space and hit apply. This is your android partition.

10. Format the sd android partition (not the whole sd card!) using EASUS to FAT32 using 32 or 64 kb cluster size and put an android build onto it and test.

11. IMPORTANT You need to convert the wp7 unformatted partition to primary for the sd android to see the sd card Use minitool partition wizard to do this. Right click on your WP7 unformatted partition and select modify and then click on set as primary and hit apply. Here is the link for minitool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=372
MAGLDR Keeps booting into WP7 even with the card not in the phone...

Is it the wrong magldr or what else can I do? Getting tried of running the hard reset over and over again...

I'm using MAGLDR 1.1.3 and Tango 8(Whatever)
Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nj4Lo View Post
Yea I was trying to set up android sd and found out I had to do it a more complicated way...[REF] Tutorial: How to partition sd card to run wp7 and android from same sd card - xda-developers
MAGLDR Keeps booting into WP7 even with the card not in the phone...

Is it the wrong magldr or what else can I do? Getting tried of running the hard reset over and over again...

I'm using MAGLDR 1.1.3 and Tango 8(Whatever)
I don't mess with any of that stuff so I don't really know. It would be best to ask in that thread.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 2032/6700/6800/Arrive/Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good workTexasAggie97 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
This was one of my many complaints with WP7, I couldn't transfer my XLS, PDF, and DOC files without some sort of major hassle. And Zune was of very little help in transferring my video files.

I hope WP8 allows for "drag and drop" technology. It's so much easier just to plug in my phone to my PC, open a window, and drop the files into the window/folder similar to how WM6 operated.

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App
Old 06-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie97 View Post
This was one of my many complaints with WP7, I couldn't transfer my XLS, PDF, and DOC files without some sort of major hassle. And Zune was of very little help in transferring my video files.

I hope WP8 allows for "drag and drop" technology. It's so much easier just to plug in my phone to my PC, open a window, and drop the files into the window/folder similar to how WM6 operated.

Sent from my SPH-D700 on the PPCGeeks App
Not all of the features have been revealed yet but it is said to be more enterprise friendly and it will support removable storage.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: fhgg
Carrier: fhgjhj

MartyCooley is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

If you have windows XP SP3 Zune software should install without a problem,it will only transfer media related files.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions