PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 AM
Dallas Mavericks #1 Fan!!
Pocket PC: HTC ThunderBolt
Carrier: Verizon

nrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIPnrfitchett4 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PPG PODCAST review of wp7

I was just listening to my first ppcgeeks podcast and I must say I'm extremely dissappointed.
The one I listened to was the jan 27th one, the feb 3rd one wouldn't play properly (audio was extremely choppy).
On this episode they reviewed 2 wp headsets that had been given to them for review, the htc surround and the lg quantum.
One reviewer (forget his name) gave the surround and wp7 overall good reviews, citing ease of use, speed and fluidity of the OS, the best email client he had used, netflix streaming, etc.
But Laos101 absolutely hated it. He stated right off the bat that he didn't liked closed OS's and I'm guessing that he never really gave the phone a chance.
Alot of the things he criticized he was wrong about. I don't think he used the phone for more than an hour. I really hope OEM's don't give him any more hardware to review if he can't at least be objective about the device.
His biggest complaint was that the phone was too much like IOS and not anything like his Android phone.
He didn't like that you couldn't put games on the home screen (but you can).
He also didn't like that you couldn't download apps over 20mb except over wifi. I guess he hasn't been paying attn to the trends of limiting data plans even here in the USA.
He didn't like the fact that syncing multimedia went through zune. I'm guessing he didn't even try out the zune desktop client. I doubt he knew that syncing can be done over your home network so only for phone updates do you have to connect your phone via usb, everything else can be added over your home wifi.

What's not to like about zune??? It is way easier to use than Itunes (yes I have used both), and the ability to drag and drop multimedia to my phone then go to bed and let it sync while I'm sleeping is very nice. Not to mention that podcasts automatically download to the phone. Old ones automatically get removed. How much easier can it be?

He made comments about every app in the marketplace being crap. The top apps were crap and all other apps were even more crap.
I'm guessing he didn't really try too many apps out.
From yomomedia for RSS, AP for news, Weatherbug and The Weather Channel for weather, Dailymotion for videos (yes the youtube app needs a new makeover), netflix, slingbox, bitbop for your tv watching, seismic, beezz and birdsong for twitter. WP7 has some of the best looking apps I've seen. 90% of the apps follow the metro UI which really brings a great experience to the phone. Android apps are ugly and alot of them are buggy and laggy.
And that doesn't even include the Office or XBOX integration, autouploading of pics to skydrive... I mean, wp7 already has better games than winmo ever did, and very few android phones can play the new 3d games like dungeon defenders.

Whether or not you like wp7, I think you have to realize that winmo was failing. Fragmentation, lack of minimum hardware specs, and being able to do anything to the phone had killed the platform. If Android isn't careful, it could see the same fate in a few years.

Contrary to what laos said in the podcast, WP7 isn't running off developers. Maybe the homebrew variety since the OS is more locked down. But not professional developers. At launch, wp7 already had slacker, netflix and slingbox. Android can't get netflix due to security concerns. Developers are saying how easy wp7 is to develop for. The only complaint I've read is that the api's have not all been released yet. I think this will come in time. Some developers are getting frustrated with android fragmentation and that their apps don't work on all phones.

Overall I wrote this to vent and to open up a dialog on the automatic hatred of the ppcgeeks community to wp7. No its not winmo, but I think that is a good thing. Most of us don't want to tweak our phones forever. It gets quite old after a while and then you just want a phone that works. And my HD7 works better out of the box than any android phone I've had the chance to play with.

What do y'all think?

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid
Re: PPG PODCAST review of wp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
I was just listening to my first ppcgeeks podcast and I must say I'm extremely dissappointed.
The one I listened to was the jan 27th one, the feb 3rd one wouldn't play properly (audio was extremely choppy).
On this episode they reviewed 2 wp headsets that had been given to them for review, the htc surround and the lg quantum.
One reviewer (forget his name) gave the surround and wp7 overall good reviews, citing ease of use, speed and fluidity of the OS, the best email client he had used, netflix streaming, etc.
But Laos101 absolutely hated it. He stated right off the bat that he didn't liked closed OS's and I'm guessing that he never really gave the phone a chance.
Alot of the things he criticized he was wrong about. I don't think he used the phone for more than an hour. I really hope OEM's don't give him any more hardware to review if he can't at least be objective about the device.
His biggest complaint was that the phone was too much like IOS and not anything like his Android phone.
He didn't like that you couldn't put games on the home screen (but you can).
He also didn't like that you couldn't download apps over 20mb except over wifi. I guess he hasn't been paying attn to the trends of limiting data plans even here in the USA.
He didn't like the fact that syncing multimedia went through zune. I'm guessing he didn't even try out the zune desktop client. I doubt he knew that syncing can be done over your home network so only for phone updates do you have to connect your phone via usb, everything else can be added over your home wifi.

What's not to like about zune??? It is way easier to use than Itunes (yes I have used both), and the ability to drag and drop multimedia to my phone then go to bed and let it sync while I'm sleeping is very nice. Not to mention that podcasts automatically download to the phone. Old ones automatically get removed. How much easier can it be?

He made comments about every app in the marketplace being crap. The top apps were crap and all other apps were even more crap.
I'm guessing he didn't really try too many apps out.
From yomomedia for RSS, AP for news, Weatherbug and The Weather Channel for weather, Dailymotion for videos (yes the youtube app needs a new makeover), netflix, slingbox, bitbop for your tv watching, seismic, beezz and birdsong for twitter. WP7 has some of the best looking apps I've seen. 90% of the apps follow the metro UI which really brings a great experience to the phone. Android apps are ugly and alot of them are buggy and laggy.
And that doesn't even include the Office or XBOX integration, autouploading of pics to skydrive... I mean, wp7 already has better games than winmo ever did, and very few android phones can play the new 3d games like dungeon defenders.

Whether or not you like wp7, I think you have to realize that winmo was failing. Fragmentation, lack of minimum hardware specs, and being able to do anything to the phone had killed the platform. If Android isn't careful, it could see the same fate in a few years.

Contrary to what laos said in the podcast, WP7 isn't running off developers. Maybe the homebrew variety since the OS is more locked down. But not professional developers. At launch, wp7 already had slacker, netflix and slingbox. Android can't get netflix due to security concerns. Developers are saying how easy wp7 is to develop for. The only complaint I've read is that the api's have not all been released yet. I think this will come in time. Some developers are getting frustrated with android fragmentation and that their apps don't work on all phones.

Overall I wrote this to vent and to open up a dialog on the automatic hatred of the ppcgeeks community to wp7. No its not winmo, but I think that is a good thing. Most of us don't want to tweak our phones forever. It gets quite old after a while and then you just want a phone that works. And my HD7 works better out of the box than any android phone I've had the chance to play with.

What do y'all think?

I'll have a listen and see what I think, thanks for your feedback
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions