PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Phone 7 Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   A call to arms - Windows 7 phone succeeds (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139366)

timezone 01-08-2011 02:04 PM

A call to arms - Windows 7 phone succeeds

Note: Before someone says, just add this to the Doomed thread, let me say it is about setting a different tone and asking people to step up.

A few weeks ago I purchased the HTC HD7 phone from T-mobile. Unless I find real issues with the network I will be leaving Sprint. I think Sprint is great and offers plans that are better than Tmobile. Although only in degrees. I said many times to myself I would never leave Sprint just because of a phone. I am a huge fan of Sprint and joined many years ago when they first arrived in my area. I guess I left Sprint because of the phone and OS.

To put it bluntly the phone is to die for and the new Windows 7 phone OS is amazing. Sure there are things to complain about. The camera button is hard to press. The screen is not as good as some of the others but still surprisingly nice. Worse issue, back to the good old days when the sunlight makes viewing the screen almost impossible.

I may not be quite the hacker as others but I did relish the task of making changes to the registry and altering the phone to my taste. Those days are in question. I say that because Microsoft appears to be sending out goodwill gestures to the development community. I don't think this is a completely dead issue.

The question is do we hack just to hack? Are we the ones that install on our PC's more utility programs than the programs needed to be productive. Or buy more camera, ski, electronic equipment, etc because it is cool? In other words if the new Windows 7 phone is 80 to 90% at the place we tried to reach with all the hacks to the old OS then why not embrace it?

If we are not Apple people and believe Android is going to become fragmented by the cell companies and handset manufactures then why not support Microsoft? Google just wants our skin to sell to advertisers. Go into a Best Buy and all you see are bricked Windows 7 phones with a photo of the screen. Anyone looking at it might think, interesting but so what is the big deal if there is even one.

We are the advertisers. We are the early adapters of new technology. We are the ones our friends and family goto when they want to know what to buy. We should go out and buy a Windows 7 phone to show our friends and family what it is all about. If we do this and the phone succeeds then there will be more apps and Microsoft will listen even more to the development community. Stop asking the question will this OS succeed and become the reason for its success.

FYI - Some may be disappointed but believe me, this OS is beautiful. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.

Noir 01-08-2011 03:11 PM

Re: A call to arms - Windows 7 phone succeeds

haven't regretted the OS since I bought it november 8. What I do regret is the hardware *leers at htc*
give me something special htc and I will go back. But somehow the dell venue pro far exceeded my expectations. Now the amazing thing is the keyboard. I know the dvp has a keyboard, but the on screen keyboard is amazing. I barely even use the hw keyboard at all

timezone 01-08-2011 11:01 PM

I was very interested in the Dell Venu Pro but was concerned with the low ram. The HD7 is really nice but I know people coming from the HD2 will say where is the next generation phone. I was feeling the same way when considering the new Touch Pro 7. Where is the improvement over the Touch Pro 2. I believe HTC builds excellent phones. They just don't go out of there way to move to the next level. I think Samsung is going to wake HTC up and force them into next gen phones.

Dell's first phone is a great first start. It will be interesting to see how serious Dell is and how willing they are to compete in a very crowded field.

DavidinCT 01-09-2011 03:27 PM

I got to play with the HD7 for about 25 min in a store (very slow, no one even asked me if I needed help) and it was a awsome device, fast and smooth. If T-mobile had good coverage where I live (VZW is the best), I might of jumped at it. Just wishing for a keyboard.

To note before my next comment, I want WP7, no question about it. I can't wait to get a phone that is fast and smooth, something that WM only had if you don't install anything.

Windows 7 phone succeeds ???? Nope, not even close. Why ????

When I turn on my TV and my local news channel says " Download our new app for iPhone and Android !" when they list Windows Phone, then WP has succeeded. Crap, even my favorite sports radio station has an app for Anroid and iPhone, Windows phone ? Nope

You could have a billion apps but, intill your local places start accepting and making custom apps for your local news and stuff, it's not even close.

Just my thoughts here...

timezone 01-09-2011 03:57 PM

DavidinCT,
I agree with both of your comments with some thoughts of my own.

Every device I have owned has had a keyboard. I always wanted a keyboard on each new phone. What I have found, the virtual keyboard is decent for short email and SMS messages. In a horizontal position the keyboard feels more like a real keyboard. Unfortunately not all Apps rotate. The keyboard does offer words and it does self correct misspellings which makes it easier to use. On the downside the touch is very responsive leading to mistakes. I do have to say the Touch Pro2 keyboard had harder key-presses than the touchpro making the experience a bit less enjoyable.

With regards to apps I agree the major companies need to step up. There are apps like CNN, weather channel, Realtor.com, IMDB and fandango to name a few that suggest companies are stepping up. Even angry birds is about to offer their game. Now it doesn't matter if you say, Angry birds, who cares. It matters that popular programs and games are arriving on this phone.

Another thing we have to do is email companies that do not have apps and ask them when they plan to offer an app for the Windows 7 phone platform. This is exactly what I have been doing. Companies will step up if they see there is a demand out there. Yes, they are looking at the acceptance of this phone but they must also be looking at their customers or users to see if there is any interest.

DavidinCT, please email your local station and ask them when an app will arrive. This is how the Windows 7 phone will win in the marketplace. We all have a voice.

We all have to step up if we care about this product and also Microsoft. People will buy the iphone and then the ipad and then say why not a Mac. Then what happens to .Net and IE and everything else. This is bigger than just a phone. I think it has been a long time before Microsoft figured this out and in some way I think they are still in discovery mode.

timezone 01-09-2011 04:05 PM

I also want to add. The lack of the keyboard at least on the HD7 and possibly some other short comings should not stop people. People will discover after a week with this phone that there are so many advantages with this OS, the things we thought were important when making a decision to buy a phone are minor. That is how great this new OS is compared to 6.5.

I am coming from Sprint and am concerned about Tmobile's network. At this point I love this phone and OS so much I can't imagine going back to the Touch Pro 2 and 6.5.

DavidinCT 01-09-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timezone (Post 2033088)
Another thing we have to do is email companies that do not have apps and ask them when they plan to offer an app for the Windows 7 phone platform. This is exactly what I have been doing. Companies will step up if they see there is a demand out there. Yes, they are looking at the acceptance of this phone but they must also be looking at their customers or users to see if there is any interest.

DavidinCT, please email your local station and ask them when an app will arrive. This is how the Windows 7 phone will win in the marketplace. We all have a voice.

We all have to step up if we care about this product and also Microsoft. People will buy the iphone and then the ipad and then say why not a Mac. Then what happens to .Net and IE and everything else. This is bigger than just a phone. I think it has been a long time before Microsoft figured this out and in some way I think they are still in discovery mode.

I will when I have one. I'm still using my 6.5 TP2 because I can't get a WP7 phone for Verizon. There should be one soon but, till then I can't call and ask for something I can't even use.

I am not meaning just for me, but, in a global standpoint (well at least in the US), till it's accepted and this will take time. If Microsoft really did it right, the numbers over the next 2 years will prove it.

Rome was not created in a day and it's going to take a while to convert the tons of iPhone and Android users over. As long as the phone is in the spotlight, so when someone is looking at phones, they can see what WP7 offers with the others and make a good choice for what is best for them.

Not everyone will like WP7 nor even try it, others hated Windows Mobile and will not even look at it. Others will see it with a open mind they are the people would would give it a serious look.

I really hate defending a item I can't own...

Quote:

Originally Posted by timezone (Post 2033094)
I also want to add. The lack of the keyboard at least on the HD7 and possibly some other short comings should not stop people. People will discover after a week with this phone that there are so many advantages with this OS, the things we thought were important when making a decision to buy a phone are minor. That is how great this new OS is compared to 6.5.

I am coming from Sprint and am concerned about Tmobile's network. At this point I love this phone and OS so much I can't imagine going back to the Touch Pro 2 and 6.5.

As a keyboard goes, I would prefer one because of the feedback, it's hard to feel the keys on a screen, if you know what I am getting it. If i can't get a keyboard, then the screen must be arond 4" (no 3.6") because I have a very hard time typing with my thumbs on a screen.

I will give a honest hard shot before I just say no. If I can type a e-mail with out any problems, then I won't really have a problem with it.

All depends on what verizon gets and at what cost, then I will decide.

timezone 01-12-2011 11:12 AM

Even before owning the phone I emailed Companies with products I use asking where is the Windows 7 phone version.

Despite everything I think this phone will succeed. On many sites there are people already frustrated with their Android phone and even iPhone. I do know when I have shown it to existing Android users they do not or can't see the value added reasons for jumping and that is a problem. This phone can't just be as good as an Android or iPhone for existing users. They need a good reason to go through the pain of moving to a new phone.

Microsoft has the advertising muscle but we have the megaphone and are the troops on the ground that can show off the phones attributes. If this phone fails in the marketplace then we can blame Microsoft and maybe the retail stores. Last but not least we can blame ourselves as early adapters of electronic devices. We have to take ownership and do our job showing off this phone.

Kliptik 01-13-2011 02:23 PM

If I had to judge right now, the biggest disadvantage Android has is that it's fractured. Not all apps work on all devices. Same thing happened to WM6(.5). So if WP7 can keep it standardized (so far so good), they'll be able to gain quite a bit of developer interest, which in turn will encourage Android and iPhone users to jump to WP7.

timezone 01-15-2011 03:46 PM

How long will Andriod users realize the OS is fractured across phones? Will it be customers recognizing the situation or the programmers dropping off because of a fractured marketplace?

Dr.8820 01-15-2011 06:28 PM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I just read an article about this, wp7 pushes updates across the entire os, android leaves it up to the carriers or manufactures....which is why people are running different versions. wp7 will really catch on once people try it and stop making assumptions about it.

DavidinCT 01-15-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2037344)
I just read an article about this, wp7 pushes updates across the entire os, android leaves it up to the carriers or manufactures....which is why people are running different versions.

That can be a good thing or a really bad thing. When that one update comes out that breaks the phone (under tested, Windows admins know these very well), they break at a global scale, not just a carrier or single model scale.

I like a standardized OS, no question, I like to be able to pick up a game and know it will run good on my phone no matter what. On the other side, how long that will last is another story.

With the talk of dual core CPUS and more, faster memory, sure the OS will be fluid but, programmers will be making games that are made for dual core CPUS, to get the most out of a game/program.

When that happens, we'll be in the same boat as Android users are in. OS will run fine but, the apps will have problems on older phones (current gen models).

Just my thoughts here...

brownhornet 01-16-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timezone (Post 2035191)
Even before owning the phone I emailed Companies with products I use asking where is the Windows 7 phone version.

Despite everything I think this phone will succeed. On many sites there are people already frustrated with their Android phone and even iPhone. I do know when I have shown it to existing Android users they do not or can't see the value added reasons for jumping and that is a problem. This phone can't just be as good as an Android or iPhone for existing users. They need a good reason to go through the pain of moving to a new phone.

Microsoft has the advertising muscle but we have the megaphone and are the troops on the ground that can show off the phones attributes. If this phone fails in the marketplace then we can blame Microsoft and maybe the retail stores. Last but not least we can blame ourselves as early adapters of electronic devices. We have to take ownership and do our job showing off this phone.

Man get out of here with this nonsense. WP7 is barely even selling regardless of all that money Microsoft spent on advertising. Developers arent putting much faith in the OS at all due to terrible sales. No one is going to leave IOS or Android for WP7 because at this point its going in reverse. I told yall weeks ago WP7 will always be behind Android, IOS and RIM. Why? Because Microsoft sucks in the mobile market.

And now with IOS moving over to Verizon as well as them getting the Bionic and the Thunderbolt and AT&T picking up Android superphones this year like the Atrix, dont expect it to be much better. Its pretty much like I kept telling people, Microsoft made this move too little and most definitely too late.

brownhornet 01-16-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.8820 (Post 2037344)
Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I just read an article about this, wp7 pushes updates across the entire os, android leaves it up to the carriers or manufactures....which is why people are running different versions. wp7 will really catch on once people try it and stop making assumptions about it.

Doubt it. Tried it and there is nothing about it that would make me switch. Plus I hate that tile interface and the fact that its not customizable worth a damn.

brownhornet 01-16-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2037400)
That can be a good thing or a really bad thing. When that one update comes out that breaks the phone (under tested, Windows admins know these very well), they break at a global scale, not just a carrier or single model scale.

I like a standardized OS, no question, I like to be able to pick up a game and know it will run good on my phone no matter what. On the other side, how long that will last is another story.

With the talk of dual core CPUS and more, faster memory, sure the OS will be fluid but, programmers will be making games that are made for dual core CPUS, to get the most out of a game/program.

When that happens, we'll be in the same boat as Android users are in. OS will run fine but, the apps will have problems on older phones (current gen models).

Just my thoughts here...

Pretty much. Hell IOS updates are universal too.. for the phones that meet the requirements. Plus the average consumer couldnt care less about this anyways. I could go out and poll 10 random people on the street that have Android and im willing to bet 8 out of 10 would have no clue the differences between eclair, froyo and gingerbread.

Noir 01-16-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

WP7 is barely even selling regardless of all that money Microsoft spent on advertising.
We only know LG sales, but not any other OEMs, and that's where it matters. Microsoft only licenses the OS
Quote:

Developers arent putting much faith in the OS at all due to terrible sales.
Windows Phone 7 Marketplace now has more than 20,000 developers
[/quote]
Quote:

No one is going to leave IOS or Android for WP7 because at this point its going in reverse.
Watch Out Android Marketplace! Here comes Windows - PCWorld
IDC: Windows Phone 7 marketplace ramping up
Microsoft
marketshare has to be coming from somewhere...and some of those users are android/iOS users
Quote:

I told yall weeks ago WP7 will always be behind Android, IOS and RIM. Why? Because Microsoft sucks in the mobile market.
Excellent conjecture based on Nothing but opinion
Quote:

And now with IOS moving over to Verizon as well as them getting the Bionic and the Thunderbolt and AT&T picking up Android superphones this year like the Atrix, dont expect it to be much better. Its pretty much like I kept telling people, Microsoft made this move too little and most definitely too late.
it's been 3 months...too soon?
Quote:

Doubt it. Tried it and there is nothing about it that would make me switch. Plus I hate that tile interface and the fact that its not customizable worth a damn.
it's 3 months old. God give devs time to crack it open. So far, changing the default color scheme and entering registry in a month is a good thing. Windows Mobile took time to evolve and not everyone had a kitchen back in 03/04. It's a new OS. It takes time.

rrjskj 01-16-2011 10:16 PM

i agree with noir wp7 is just getting started i for one want to see how far it goes i also agree android and rim are very good but its also a rats race to see whose gonna make it out on top .

brownhornet 01-17-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 2037895)
We only know LG sales, but not any other OEMs, and that's where it matters. Microsoft only licenses the OS

Windows Phone 7 Marketplace now has more than 20,000 developers

Watch Out Android Marketplace! Here comes Windows - PCWorld
IDC: Windows Phone 7 marketplace ramping up
Microsoft
marketshare has to be coming from somewhere...and some of those users are android/iOS users

Excellent conjecture based on Nothing but opinion

it's been 3 months...too soon?

it's 3 months old. God give devs time to crack it open. So far, changing the default color scheme and entering registry in a month is a good thing. Windows Mobile took time to evolve and not everyone had a kitchen back in 03/04. It's a new OS. It takes time.[/QUOTE]

So your response to the fact that wp7 sales sucks is articles about the marketplace getting more apps? LOL ok.. as i said WP7 will NEVER outsell IOS or Android. And probably not RIM either. The interest seems to be little to none. And didnt LG even say that their WP7 sales are disappointing at best and they're building their future on Android?

Noir 01-17-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

So your response to the fact that wp7 sales sucks is articles about the marketplace getting more apps?
No I responded to that in a different thread. But again, we don't know the sales. The only idea we know of sale numbers is LG. There are 3 major OEM developers - Samsung, LG, and HTC. We only have an idea from LG. That leaves 2 more...we still don't know how the sales are going because no one has published sales numbers from the OEM side.

Quote:

LOL ok.. as i said WP7 will NEVER outsell IOS or Android. And probably not RIM either.
And android's first 6 months sales numbers? Oh yes.
T-Mobile has sold 1 million G1 Android phones | Wireless - CNET News
1 million in 6 months? I'd consider those sales number low and in international waters EVEN less

And now android is one of the most popular OSes around. Pundits alike neither called android a success or an out and out failure, but it wasn't adopted as heavily as it was now. In many ways windows phone 7 is a bit more successful because unlike android's first 6 months that only tmobile adopted prior to htc sense 1.0 hitting android, wp7 has support from ATT & TMOBILE, with support from sprint and verizon coming as well.

Quote:

The interest seems to be little to none.
*sighs*
refer to the links I posted already regarding interest.

Quote:

The interest seems to be little to none. And didnt LG even say that their WP7 sales are disappointing at best and they're building their future on Android?
Not exactly...this is LG comments

Quote:

From an industry perspective we had a high expectation, but from a consumer point of view the visibility is less than we LG has been closely collaborating with Microsoft from the beginning. What we feel is that it is absolutely perfect for a huge segment out there. What we feel is that some people believe that some operating systems, mainly Google, are extremely complicated for them. But Windows Phone 7 is very intuitive and easy to use

For tech guys like us it might be a little bit boring after a week or two, but are there are certain segments that it really appeals to. We strongly feel that it has a strong potential even though the first push wasn’t what everyone expected

From a vendor perspective, having that balance is critical, being dependent on one OS is not beneficial for us. That’s the same with not just the manufacturers, but the operators as well

There is a need and demand from the operators saying there is too much ‘Android’ in the portfolio. In that sense LG always tries to balance our portfolio, and that’s not just in sense of hardware but OS’s as well.

report everything LG has stated. Not just what you want to report.
That is the entirety of LG's statement, especially their comments about their portfolio being too android heavy

timezone 01-17-2011 05:34 PM

Yikes, this is turning into another Doomed Thread. If you don't like this phone or Microsoft or the moon cycles then buy an Android or Iphone. There is plenty of variety for everyone. For those that care about this phone and I believe long term the dot net environment and everything Microsoft then we do need to buy this phone and show it off. I personally think it is the best phone on the market. Especially when packaged in an HTC HD7. I also believe that when people see the phone in action they are blown away by it and they do start to think about their Android or Iphone purchase.

There are plenty of good signs for its success. The App store is looking good. There are quality Apps from reputable stores and web sites available in Marketplace. From Realtor.com to ShopSavvy, Shazam, Kellys Blue Book and OpenTable to name just a few. From memory I believe there are around 20,000 developers that are registered. Yes, the sales numbers may not be great but they are not bad. There is a foundation for growth. Also there are manufactures that are starting to show interest in selling the phone.

I wrote and then deleted a rant because I don't want to argue whether one OS is better than another. I love to have these discussions but this thread is for those that love this phone and want to help make it the success it deserves.

Dr.8820 01-17-2011 05:49 PM

Wirelessly posted (PPCGEEKS Fire Dept.: Opera/9.70 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) TMO-US_LEO)

I keep telling folks to use it first then judge. my wife has the evo and loves it, but the facebook app on wp7 blows hers away. there are plenty of apps like that, that's why wp7 isn't doomed, just give it time. what I don't get is the fandroids coming in a wp7 thread and ain't even tried it lol.

brownhornet 01-26-2011 11:41 AM

Actually I have tried it... and one app isnt too convincing when the phone doesnt even have general smartphone functions. *shrug* I havent seen not even one article that was on the positive side when it comes to sales for WP7. I think you can pretty much agree no matter how much you love WP7 its always going to be at least the 4th fiddle behind IOS, Android and RIM.

DavidinCT 01-26-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 2045016)
Actually I have tried it... and one app isnt too convincing when the phone doesnt even have general smartphone functions. *shrug* I havent seen not even one article that was on the positive side when it comes to sales for WP7. I think you can pretty much agree no matter how much you love WP7 its always going to be at least the 4th fiddle behind IOS, Android and RIM.

Sure, your also talking a phone that has been on the market for 4-5 months(?) vs. phones that have been out for years. WP7 is all new, so Windows Mobile or PocketPC don't count here in the numbers, where it's always been around number 4 or 5 anyway behind IOS, Android and Rim anyway.

This site would not exist if there was not a following behind Windows Mobile or PocketPC (PocketPC=PPC, aka PPCgeeks). Love it or hate it, it's not going anywhere.

Will Windows Phone 7 take over IOS overnight?? Hell no or Android, Nope.

So far, reviews are VERY positive on WP7, over all people who own it claim it's smoother and faster than Android(a locked factory OEM phone and not people who played with it in a store for 20 min) and it has better quality apps in it's market place when looking at IOS or Android (Who needs 99K of fart apps ?).

I do honestly feel after a few years (once it has full carrier support with a good selection for a while), as long as Microsoft does not screw it up and the market place keeps growing at the current rate, it will come close or even beat Android.

Time will tell but, for a phone that has not been out too long, it looks pretty good. If you don't like it and you gave it a fair shot, cool, it's not for everyone.

timezone 01-30-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 2045016)
I think you can pretty much agree no matter how much you love WP7 its always going to be at least the 4th fiddle behind IOS, Android and RIM.

Wow, It will surpass RIM in Apps by the end of the year if not sooner. Rim will be relatively easy to beat in phones. In fact all of the articles about this phone say that the first phone to lose market share to the Windows Phone 7 will be RIM. Doesn't mean Microsoft will surpass them but I believe it will be in short order. It may never beat the iPhone but Android I might make the bet. Android is very popular as was the old Microsoft phone. With a fractured handset across mobile companies, developers will begin developing for the phone rather than a platform. Microsoft learned that lesson the hard way. Can they beat the iphone? I think it is possible but they will have to get a few things done right. Marketing at this point is just as important as the product. Microsoft needs working phones in the stores. They need Microsoft employees to show off the phone. We need to show off the phone. When I show people the phone the response is usually...Wow, didn't realize how amazing this phone actually is. Of course that is probably a long time out.

I'll say it again, we have to keep on emailing companies that do not have apps on the Windows phone 7. I do it all the time. They are not demanding messages. I gently explain why I believe they should consider developing apps for this phone.

gTen 01-30-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timezone (Post 2047782)
Wow, It will surpass RIM in Apps by the end of the year if not sooner. Rim will be relatively easy to beat in phones. In fact all of the articles about this phone say that the first phone to lose market share to the Windows Phone 7 will be RIM. Doesn't mean Microsoft will surpass them but I believe it will be in short order. It may never beat the iPhone but Android I might make the bet. Android is very popular as was the old Microsoft phone. With a fractured handset across mobile companies, developers will begin developing for the phone rather than a platform. Microsoft learned that lesson the hard way. Can they beat the iphone? I think it is possible but they will have to get a few things done right. Marketing at this point is just as important as the product. Microsoft needs working phones in the stores. They need Microsoft employees to show off the phone. We need to show off the phone. When I show people the phone the response is usually...Wow, didn't realize how amazing this phone actually is. Of course that is probably a long time out.

I'll say it again, we have to keep on emailing companies that do not have apps on the Windows phone 7. I do it all the time. They are not demanding messages. I gently explain why I believe they should consider developing apps for this phone.

Its going to be tough for WP7 to beat Android...thing about Android is that its cheaper for manufacturers to make Android phones then WP7 phones as Android is open source..this makes it cheaper for manufacturers to choose Android over WP7 with the same hardware..so unless WP7 completely dominates sales manufacturers will push Android to consumers more then WP7..

Same for carriers..they have more control in Android to load up their stuff...such as making VZnavigator default and etc..while this is annoying for us this gives carriers more incentive to push Android...

Also..there really is no fracturing..most apps work on all phones..the reason why apps start to have issues is when developers go outside the API and start using native code (which wp7 does not allow in the first place)..by using native code it gives performance improvements and etc..Google plans to improve on this of course..

Noir 01-30-2011 07:14 PM

Is android even in the equation as far as windows phone 7 competition? Granted it is admirable to topple android because (since the droid does advertising) it is the most popular OS at the time. I just feel as though taking over android is a temporary stop gap in the large scheme of things seeing that apple is somehow still top dog and admittedly that is the company that Microsoft is trying to beat. Android is just a stopgap in the greater prize...

Android is popular but I still don't think currently it offers the best mobile experience

gTen 01-30-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 2047920)
Is android even in the equation as far as windows phone 7 competition? Granted it is admirable to topple android because (since the droid does advertising) it is the most popular OS at the time. I just feel as though taking over android is a temporary stop gap in the large scheme of things seeing that apple is somehow still top dog and admittedly that is the company that Microsoft is trying to beat. Android is just a stopgap in the greater prize...

Android is popular but I still don't think currently it offers the best mobile experience

My belief that in general M$is aiming at Apple and not Android..it may change in the future as all these plans were made 2 years ago by M$, but the target audience that M$ is aiming for is more in tune with fighting Apple rather then Google..

Noir 01-31-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2047990)
My belief that in general M$is aiming at Apple and not Android..it may change in the future as all these plans were made 2 years ago by M$, but the target audience that M$ is aiming for is more in tune with fighting Apple rather then Google..

makes sense, because apple is the head honcho. But the question is - if microsoft is heading toward apple why not target wp7 to adolescents/young adults?

gTen 01-31-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 2048356)
makes sense, because apple is the head honcho. But the question is - if microsoft is heading toward apple why not target wp7 to adolescents/young adults?

Well in terms of world scale Android > iOS but might be due to it being available on 1 carrier around the world...but 2 years ago when M$ started working on WP7..iOS was the crave...

As fr targeting..its simple...M$ right now has an "incomplete" OS..or at least compared to the competition..they didn't have time to make it for everyone yet...so they targeted the audience that has money..simple...they will definitely go after young adults..but its going to be a hard fight with Apple for that audience due to popularity of the ipods...its just a fight for another day...

brownhornet 02-01-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timezone (Post 2047782)

I dont care if it has a million apps... its still never going to surpass RIM, Android or IOS in terms of phone sales. IOS still has more apps than Android but its not making a difference right now in terms of phone sales.

brownhornet 02-01-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gTen (Post 2048476)
Well in terms of world scale Android > iOS but might be due to it being available on 1 carrier around the world...but 2 years ago when M$ started working on WP7..iOS was the crave...

As fr targeting..its simple...M$ right now has an "incomplete" OS..or at least compared to the competition..they didn't have time to make it for everyone yet...so they targeted the audience that has money..simple...they will definitely go after young adults..but its going to be a hard fight with Apple for that audience due to popularity of the ipods...its just a fight for another day...

With the iphone landing on Verizon this month... as well as the HTC Thunderbolt and the Droid Bionic coming later this year. And with AT&T pretty much stating that they're going to be pushing android this year with 20+ devices, I hope MS has a good priest because they're going to need all the prayer they can get.

Omega Ra 02-01-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 2048986)
With the iphone landing on Verizon this month... as well as the HTC Thunderbolt and the Droid Bionic coming later this year. And with AT&T pretty much stating that they're going to be pushing android this year with 20+ devices, I hope MS has a good priest because they're going to need all the prayer they can get.

They don't need a priest....they have a LOT of money...just how the Xbox started slow, but they kept at it...the same will go with WP7

gTen 02-01-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega Ra (Post 2049081)
They don't need a priest....they have a LOT of money...just how the Xbox started slow, but they kept at it...the same will go with WP7

umm..the xbox didn't start slow..it was a hit from day 1..they got a lot of developers on board by giving them money(bribing them)..that said they put the same marketing team that did the xbox for the ZuneHD and they still couldn't grab marketshare..so don't think M$ got this in the bag...they have a long hard fight ahead of them...

AZTECHKA 02-01-2011 03:17 PM

Of course it's going to be a hard fight... They're up against two industry Giants in their own rhealm.
But does anyone REALLY beleve that Microsoft is just going to lay down and get stomped on? Yeah... I can just see it now... Another Kin/Kin2 scenario.
They dumped the Kin project to focus on WP7. Give it time... They will be at #3 in no time. And giving #2 and #1 a run for their money.
RIM can't do that and neither can Web OS. The money and development isn't there.
Microsoft wants your kids not you.
They will do everything in their power to get them to buy their product.
p.

gTen 02-01-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2049089)
RIM can't do that and neither can Web OS. The money and development isn't there.

I personally see RIM is going to die...they have been loosing market-share and they haven't put out much innovation lately..

As for WebOS...HP is richer then M$ actually...how much they are willing to spend on WebOS is another story...

testacon 02-01-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidinCT (Post 2045026)
Sure, your also talking a phone that has been on the market for 4-5 months(?) vs. phones that have been out for years.

My point exactly, so why buy it now? Your rewarding Microsoft for releasing a phone that is YEARS behind the competition in many, many aspects and feature sets.

If Microsoft has the money and the patience to be persistent and 2 years down the road releases a phone correcting all the issues like, allowing users customizations, has tons of apps and finally on all 4 of the major US carriers, then maybe it's time. But a 2 year contract for this now, I just don't get it personally.

We've waited all these years since WM6.5 and I don't think the OS is polished enough to overtake Apple or Android right now.

Here are a few things though to keep your eye on though:

1.) How long will they support a specific Phone? Is it going to be as good as Apple's commitment in keeping ~3 years on devices? It has to be able to beat Android because Google and the carriers sucks in this category...

2.) Haven't heard a damn thing about APP rejection, does that mean that MS hasn't rejected any yet or that no one cares about MS APPS yet? Apple can't reject anything without getting in the news, just heard about Sony E-Reader for example...

3.) When will we start seeing APPS to access companies resources, i.e. TV, weather, radio, movie theaters, shopping etc. No Pandora even planned--Flabbergasted!! I saw a post in here that said WE should tell companies we want APPS, really, you mean a billion of dollars worth of advertisements isn't doing the job already?!

4.) How long before we see 4G or LTE devices? 3G only is soooo 2005/6 for a smart device...

5.) What has the development community done other than break the DRM? Any custom ROMS yet, any word on when or even IF?

To me this is one of those cases where BLEEDING edge isn't always better then LEADING edge and there is a pool of blood forming behind the WP7 sign since that we aren't being saved quick enough by our phones, can I get a band-aid here?

AZTECHKA 02-01-2011 05:30 PM

You're missing the point...
Geeks don't want to be locked down...
And Microsoft doesn't necessarily want geeks as customers. They want people who will buy the apps and play their games. Not someone who will hack the OS and make it customizable. Which is why most Geeks (myself included) are on Android devices.
Seriously... Therre's no money in customizeable for them... They want (app)le money.
They will continue to build and lock down their OS. And make it cool right out of the box. Your working mom and your powerhouse teen is who they want.
I don't even think they really care about the business man when it comes to WP7.
Hence Windows embeded.
I'll say it again.
Microsoft doesn't care about US!!! But that doesn't mean that they are doomed.
That means that Android will be getting more old WinMo users and young nerds.
p.

*EDIT...
See... Even Google is mad that you aren't buying apps.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/01/goo...oid-app-sales/#

brownhornet 02-01-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2049089)
Of course it's going to be a hard fight... They're up against two industry Giants in their own rhealm.
But does anyone REALLY beleve that Microsoft is just going to lay down and get stomped on? Yeah... I can just see it now... Another Kin/Kin2 scenario.
They dumped the Kin project to focus on WP7. Give it time... They will be at #3 in no time. And giving #2 and #1 a run for their money.
Microsoft wants your kids not you.
They will do everything in their power to get them to buy their product.
p.

You mean like windows mobile? Which by the way outsold windows phone 7 last quarter by 2%.

AZTECHKA 02-01-2011 06:59 PM

Yeah... WinMO is alive and welll AND Windows Embeded will surely get some support soon enough.

WP7 is the baby... If you were an oldest child or a middle child you know what I'm talking about.... The baby gets ALL the attention for a while... Then things normalize.

WinMo is for the nerds and Geeks.

p.

brownhornet 02-02-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZTECHKA (Post 2049231)
Yeah... WinMO is alive and welll AND Windows Embeded will surely get some support soon enough.

WP7 is the baby... If you were an oldest child or a middle child you know what I'm talking about.... The baby gets ALL the attention for a while... Then things normalize.

WinMo is for the nerds and Geeks.

p.

Well regardless... they both seem to be at the bottom and not seeing much improvement in terms of sales.