PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Speculation [Windows Mobile 7]

Thread title changed.
-tobeychris
Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

*scratches head* thread moved to the correct section,

Thank you.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have made the switch to the Nexus One, I swear, its just like WinMo but much better. You can DL hacked progs off bit torrent just like WinMo. You don't lose anything going to Android. The browser is super fast, the market is much better like the iphone. Pandora works great. The only problem is T-Mobile 3G sucks. If I were you guys, i'll wait for the supersonic or if you have good T-Mo service, go get the Nexus One, you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Epic Touch 4G
Carrier: Spint

Maxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributionsMaxx134 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Well I don't think we hav 2 worry because like you say, we can always jump ship to google if it gets that bad with M$... At leasy we have another year life out of the TP2 with all the custom rom Builds, I dont see WM6.x going away any time soon.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card
Carrier: Sprint

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

I don't believe the application compatibility rumor. So much of the Windows 7 project was devoted to ensuring all of your applications run. They got so much crap after Windows Vista broke half the programs for the PC.

Why would they make the same mistake twice?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21
Re: Yes, I feel like someone just did kick my dog [Windows 7]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdikrik View Post
God Bless there is still someone SANE here. Geeze.

Rumors guys. Plain and simple. U wanna start jumping ship based on very incomplete information? Go right ahead. Ill wait a little longer.

But to add my take on this Rumor... you are right. Everythign you said... is right - ON ONE VERSION OF WINDOWS 7.

Thats right. If you remember, there have been quite a few rumors of 2 different kinds of windows 7... and im sure that is right.

The winmo7 that is for media playback and light usage and quite possibly the rumored "pink and turtle" phones will be this. Its a Zune HD with more phone functionality, but without all the crazy powerhouse stuff.

Its still more powerful than the iphone, and still has lots of room to work with, but by making restrictions you make it easier to make apps for and allow these apps to use the most power possible.

There will be a second kind of winmo7... just like ours.... that can do Everything and anythign under the sun, and still use carrier customizations and everything.

Can you imagine winmo upsetting its biggest hardware player HTC, and telling them "sorry guys, no more Sense"?

I dont think so....
That last sentence makes alot of sense. HTC has imho kept microsoft relevant these last couple of years. Like everyone else I hope to god those are rumors. If not then it's looking bad for microsoft. I'm sure that they will do ok in the consumer space and I believe simplifying the OS will put them on top in the business communtiy.. I imagine it becoming I hard decision for business users over whether or not to get a blackberry. At the same time, no multitasking is kinda counter productive in the business world nowadays isn't it? Those rumors really does make microsoft sound like followers but going to android is no better.. Android is a knock-off of windows and apple in my opinion.. Their app store is filled with mostly bs and the games are crap. Also it can't even begin to compete with windows in the business world. One would do better(if he/she decided to jump ship) by getting the palm pre for multitasking or the iphone for multimedia purposes. Hell I'm willing to believe that the next iphone os will have multitasking in some form or another..I'm sure microsoft has considered the competition and developed their os (in all this time) accordingly. Why disregard the hundreds of thousands(million?) apps you already have and the ability to install/use external storage, just to start from the very beginning with app #1? Every other os has apps in the thousands, microsoft is smarter than that(I hope). Again these are only my opinions.
Playstation 3/Xbox360/Wii/PC..Which is best? Join the debate!>> http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112741

Last edited by smoove21; 02-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Darrell262 is a n00b

After reading that it makes me want to buy a android phone. I am not in the market for a new phone right now, so when the time comes I'll check out what win 7 is doing i am sure by then the specs will be out and make my choice then.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syph3r View Post
New Windows Mobile 7 Big disappointment to Custom Roms etc...

No Multi-Task support. Applications will “Pause” when in the background, however will support notifications via push notifications.

No NETCF backwards compatibility. This means the original rumor of no backward compatibility for applications holds to be true.

OEM Interfaces will not be allowed to run on the device. Say goodbye to Sense UI / SPB Mobile Shell / Point UI / Infinity, etc, etc

Windows Phone 7 will only support application installation through service based delivery. (i.e Marketplace). Application installation via storage card will not be possible.

So much for me getting a Windows Phone

Hello Android [HTC Supersonic]
Why do you assume all or any of that info is accurate or true?

What makes you think this applies to all Seven devices?

Why do you ignore this story, which directly contradicts the above information: "Hints of WM7 in Sense 2.5 (1922); HTC is still going to cover up Microsoft?". That is certainly more evidence than what has been presented today.

Do you really think HTC would have spent that last 3-4 years building up their name brand/identity via TouchFlo/Manila/Sense and customizations to throw it all out for 7?

Do you really think all OEMs are just going to be generic phone makes for MS? That LG, Samsung, HTC and Moto will have to throw away all of that money, time and investment? How will OEMS differentiate themselves in the market from each other? What is the incentive?

Do you think you can have as solid business device (the core of WinMo) with Office without multi-tasking?

Do you think business want or care about a phone with Zune/XBox integration?

You guys are smarter than this. Don't believe all sourceless rumors, especially without any coherent analysis. Because that's what this is. Think this stuff through and don't believe every bit of info posted on the internet.

Last edited by Malatesta; 02-06-2010 at 06:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre,HTC Touch Pro2

smoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuffsmoove21 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to smoove21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Why do you ignore this story, which directly contradicts the above information: http://"Hints of WM7 in Sense 2.5 (1...up Microsoft?". That is certainly more evidence than what has been presented today.

Do you really think HTC would have spent that last 3-4 years building up their name brand/identity via TouchFlo/Manila/Sense and customizations to throw it all out for 7?

Do you really think all OEMs are just going to be generic phone makes for MS? That LG, Samsung, HTC and Moto will have to throw away all of that money, time and investment? How will OEMS differentiate themselves in the market from each other? What is the incentive?

Do you think you can have as solid business device (the core of WinMo) with Office without multi-tasking?

You guys are smarter than this. Don't believe all sourceless rumors, especially without any coherent analysis. Because that's what this is. Think this stuff through and don't believe every bit of info posted on the internet.
While I agree with you on not believing everything on the internet, and how those rumors don't seem to make much sense. I have to disagree about the phone manufacturers not having any incentive to use windows phone os. If I were to believe that what you said was true, couldn't I argue that many of those same phone hardware companies use google's android os without any custom ui? Also I believe I read somewhere that htc wanted windows phone 7 and was a little upset with microsoft for taking so long. Microsoft makes their money by letting companies like htc,lg etc; develop the hardware(their incentive) while they produced the software.This is why microsoft decides not to take the apple route when it comes to developing hardware for their os. Doing that would anger their partners.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo

racemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuffracemepls knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Why do you ignore this story, which directly contradicts the above information: "Hints of WM7 in Sense 2.5 (1922); HTC is still going to cover up Microsoft?". That is certainly more evidence than what has been presented today.

I couldn't agree more. I was waiting to see what you had to say on the subject having more sources than most. I myself believe this is only a part of WM7. Project Pink maybe?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions