PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   WARNING, thumbplay (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48190)

fat boy 12-08-2008 03:03 PM

WARNING, thumbplay

I hesitate to even say the name of this company but be aware that if you download one "free" ringer you have just given permission to thumbplay to bill you $9.99 without your knowledge via Sprint phone bill. I can't believe that either sprint or thumbplay can get away with this and if there was a way to get back at them I will. Any Sprint reps aware of this BS?

freeza 12-08-2008 03:08 PM

Re: WARNING, thumbplay

Why not just make your own ringtones?

blazinazn 12-08-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat boy (Post 566408)
I hesitate to even say the name of this company(thieves) but be aware that if you download one "free" ringer you have just given permission to thumbplay to bill you $9.99 without your knowledge via Sprint phone bill. I can't believe that either sprint or thumbplay can get away with this and if there was a way to get back at them I will. Any Sprint reps aware of this BS?

Although I never buy into those stupid ringtone gimmicks. How hard is it to just make your own?!

kyppcgeek 12-08-2008 03:16 PM

I was also dealt this problem once upon a time... when I had Sprint.
Call them and they will remove the auto-recurring fee.

fat boy 12-08-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Why not just make your own ringtones?
Quote:

Although I never buy into those stupid ringtone gimmicks. How hard is it to just make your own?!
Thanks but this isnt a thread saying I need ringtones, its a warning to noobs or the unexpecting that there is a scam that Sprint complies with.

Quote:

I was also dealt this problem once upon a time... when I had Sprint.
Call them and they will remove the auto-recurring fee.
I've canceled but they can still get away with ten or twenty bucks before you know it.

rufio1969 12-08-2008 03:27 PM

I'm pretty sure this is common with anything online that says you can get one free ringtone. There should always be fine print at the bottom of this stating this will become a recurring thing. I don't think this is just with Sprint. They will bill whoever company you're with.

fat boy 12-08-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure this is common with anything online that says you can get one free ringtone. There should always be fine print at the bottom of this stating this will become a recurring thing. I don't think this is just with Sprint. They will bill whoever company you're with.
You may be right, but never happened to me before or with any other carrier and none of my family(extended) had this happen with thier carriers either.

rufio1969 12-08-2008 03:40 PM

Well this happened to my sister last year and I just called up Sprint for her and told them she never wanted it and they just credited her account for what she was charged.

fat boy 12-08-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Well this happened to my sister last year and I just called up Sprint for her and told them she never wanted it and they just credited her account for what she was charged.
SPRINT did??? I went down there and showed my disappointment that they could even allow this to happen to there clients(I would never bill to my clients for some other business) and they said they have absolutely nothing to do with this and wouldn't refund.

chronster 12-08-2008 03:45 PM

Yeah I hate companies like that. Case in point: Classmates.com. I never signed up, but a friend did, and she got a free 3 month package. Only problem was, after 3 months she kept getting a $15 per month charge with no way to cancel it or contact classmates.com. On top of ALL of that, in the 3 months she had it, she never found ANYONE LOL

Be weary of any company on the internet that you've never heard of. You can check consumerAffairs.com for any complains on pretty much anything. (lol look at the complaint list for sprint compared to tmobile's.)

fat boy 12-08-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Yeah I hate companies like that. Case in point: Classmates.com. I never signed up, but a friend did, and she got a free 3 month package. Only problem was, after 3 months she kept getting a $15 per month charge with no way to cancel it or contact classmates.com. On top of ALL of that, in the 3 months she had it, she never found ANYONE LOL

Be weary of any company on the internet that you've never heard of. You can check consumerAffairs.com for any complains on pretty much anything. (lol look at the complaint list for sprint compared to tmobile's.)
Thanks for this. I can see this if you gave them a CC but when you believe that they have no way of charging you and your CARRIER acts as the collection agency!?!?! well screw that, they just became my enemy! I am probably one of the few who have liked sprint and had good service till NOW.

hempy 12-08-2008 03:59 PM

Try calling customer service instead of going to a Sprint store. In my experience in dealing with them, the store employees are often much less informed and are more inclined to lie to you rather than take the time to help you with a problem. I've been lied to numerous times at corporate stores, and witnessed many more. This isn't to say that CSRs don't do it as well, but I find I have more luck calling customer service or emailing ecare than actually going in person.

darren.wlsn1 12-08-2008 04:02 PM

fat boy, call sprint. ive also had this problem more than once and they creditted my acc. one of the credits was 32$ not cheap. im telling ya, theyll help. call them though, dont ask the idiots at sprint store. post back with results. goodluck p.s like the new avatar.

vzwdts 12-08-2008 04:11 PM

These are Premium SMS charges and they're exceptionally common. I credit them constantly, and you can always opt out by sending "STOP" (without the quotes) back to the shortcode they're coming from.

akijikan 12-08-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat boy (Post 566478)
You may be right, but never happened to me before or with any other carrier and none of my family(extended) had this happen with thier carriers either.

I did CS for tmobile for a bit, this was extremely common, and boy oh boy were the customers pissed when we couldn't refund their money.

I seriously thought this thread was going to be about a texting injury or sex-play involving thumbs

fat boy 12-08-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

I seriously thought this thread was going to be about a texting injury or sex-play involving thumbs
lmao, and fell off my chair.

blazinazn 12-08-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat boy (Post 566449)
Thanks but this isnt a thread saying I need ringtones, its a warning to noobs or the unexpecting that there is a scam that Sprint complies with.

I've canceled but they can still get away with ten or twenty bucks before you know it.

Hey man, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it or anything. I was just saying people should really make their own instead of "texting ringtone to 34234." I wasn't talking about you specifically. I hate those stupid ads.

And I would suggest calling customer service instead. They seem to be more helpful when you talk to them calmly.

Ovendoor 12-08-2008 04:43 PM

Ultimately, Sprint SHOULD not be responsible for these charges....

There are hundreds of unethical companies out there that take advantage of people in this fashion. I work at a corporate store for Sprint and although these charges are showing up on your bill, another company is providing you with a service. People intentionally or even unintentionally sometimes sign up for these ringers, horoscopes, jokes, etc. and wanna get pissed at Sprint about it. A call and credit from CS or from the store is only a band-aid, you will continue to incur these charges unless you them cancelled. Contact this 3rd party company directly or reply with "stop" or "cancel" when you receive one of their notifications.

fat boy 12-08-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Hey man, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it or anything. I was just saying people should really make their own instead of "texting ringtone to 34234." I wasn't talking about you specifically. I hate those stupid ads.
I didnt take it negitive thats why I said thanks, but I wanted the thread to stay on track with my complaint.

Exil3d 12-08-2008 07:19 PM

I never ,EVER, put my phone number for anything free online. Its similar to fishing.heheheh Once they hook you with a free temptation..... and you biite.... you pay the price.

blue4shizzle 12-08-2008 07:20 PM

i seriously doubt this is carrier based ok.. its probably thumbplay moreso than anything. i dont see a carrier charging a 10 fee for a free ringtone intentionally, worse case scenario.. call them an have em take it off your bill, sheesh

dtndvm 12-08-2008 07:42 PM

Just dial #2 from your phone. Listen to the recorded message and, when "Claire" prompts you to tell why your calling, say "cancel service". This should connect you to retentions and they have the authority to do much more than store reps or regular phone reps. Just calmly tell them your story and let them know you are ready to cancel your service if they can't fix this. They should be able to help you.

The following are direct numbers for retentions (unless they've been changed recently):
888-211-4727 - recorded message, then retentions
866-235-1185 - no wait time

If that doesn't work try the special line set up for Consumerist.com: 703-433-4401. It's an executive Sprint Customer Service area. You should get a case number assigned and a direct number to call back your assigned rep.

Hope this helps.

blue4shizzle 12-08-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtndvm (Post 567000)
Just dial #2 from your phone. Listen to the recorded message and, when "Claire" prompts you to tell why your calling, say "cancel service". This should connect you to retentions and they have the authority to do much more than store reps or regular phone reps. Just calmly tell them your story and let them know you are ready to cancel your service if they can't fix this. They should be able to help you.

The following are direct numbers for retentions (unless they've been changed recently):
888-211-4727 - recorded message, then retentions
866-235-1185 - no wait time

If that doesn't work try the special line set up for Consumerist.com: 703-433-4401. It's an executive Sprint Customer Service area. You should get a case number assigned and a direct number to call back your assigned rep.

Hope this helps.

that certainly isnt necessary, you shouldnt call retentions everytime you have a minor issue with your bill, that is what customer service is for, ive done it several times. its not like they will say no to an issue such as this, actually.. ive never been told no thus far (knocks on wood). once i said (lied) that there was no way i used all of my minutes already and they gave me a bonus 150 minutes on my plan for the next three months.. so jus call CS and they will get you situated

phidong 12-08-2008 08:25 PM

This happened to my friend. He called sprint and they credited his account.

hd_08 12-08-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat boy (Post 566500)
SPRINT did??? I went down there and showed my disappointment that they could even allow this to happen to there clients(I would never bill to my clients for some other business) and they said they have absolutely nothing to do with this and wouldn't refund.

Sprint charged us a couple of times but it took only one phone call for them to credit us the money back.

Compusmurf 12-08-2008 09:01 PM

Heads up, this isn't just cell phones. But instant texting makes it easier. This can happen on your home phone line as well. Buyer beware, read the fine print, no such thing as a "free" lunch, etc. Don't blame Sprint or any other carrier. YOU had to initiate it. :(

Important part is, you caught it early and fixed it (hopefully) and learned a very valuable lesson.

blue4shizzle 12-08-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compusmurf (Post 567144)
Heads up, this isn't just cell phones. But instant texting makes it easier. This can happen on your home phone line as well. Buyer beware, read the fine print, no such thing as a "free" lunch, etc. Don't blame Sprint or any other carrier. YOU had to initiate it. :(

Important part is, you caught it early and fixed it (hopefully) and learned a very valuable lesson.

well put sir, i thank thee, couldnt have said it better myself lol

esqueue 12-08-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtndvm (Post 567000)
Just dial #2 from your phone. Listen to the recorded message and, when "Claire" prompts you to tell why your calling, say "cancel service".
Hope this helps.

Clair: Hello, you have reached sprint. How may I be of as....

Customer: Cancel Service.

Clair: Ok, your service has been canceled. Thank you for have chosen Sprint. Goodbye.

Customer: :shock: WTF just happened here?

blue4shizzle 12-08-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esqueue (Post 567252)
Clair: Hello, you have reached sprint. How may I be of as....

Customer: Cancel Service.

Clair: Ok, your service has been canceled. Thank you for have chosen Sprint. Goodbye.

Customer: :shock: WTF just happened here?

lmao, that would be hilarious if that actually happened.. serves em right

[sammich] 12-08-2008 11:11 PM

Always ALWAYS read the fine print.

Make your own ringtones. If you need a particular one, ask here. We can hook you up without the monthly charges :wink:

Scrotum 12-08-2008 11:18 PM

This problem is very easy to avoid, read the fine print. Do the ringtones on these sites even work for WinMo phones?

johnnychimpo 12-09-2008 12:00 AM

There are several companies out there that have similar tactics. I had a text message sent to me with like a daily horoscope and BAM 9.99 a month charge. Lucky i check my damn bill like a hawk. Just think of how many people out there never check to see where the charges are coming from.

rufio1969 12-09-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fat boy (Post 566500)

You know what I forgot who I called. But I'm pretty sure it was Sprint because the account was credited what she was charged. I doubt the company would have done that.

Also I made sure my sister never signed up for that **** again. She swears they just started coming, but whatever. After that they stopped sending the texts and she was never charged again.

mbiondo 12-09-2008 09:45 AM

I came across your posting this morning and wanted to offer my assistance. Feel free to call our 24/7/365 Customer Care @ 877-848-6299 or drop me a line. I'm confident that I can resolve this for you. Thumbplay offers a great service and if you are not completely satisfied we'll provide you a full refund. Hope to chat with you soon.

Michael Biondo
Thumbplay
Senior Director Customer Operations
646-808-1536

Compusmurf 12-09-2008 10:40 AM

Very brave thing you did there Michael.

blue4shizzle 12-09-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compusmurf (Post 567993)
Very brave thing you did there Michael.

lol, very brave indeed..

Cicatrize 12-09-2008 01:21 PM

Since no one's said it yet...

What? People actually fall for that crap?

I've you're no stranger to current multi-media, you should know that NOTHING is free. lol

vipertk8 12-09-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicatrize (Post 568238)
Since no one's said it yet...

What? People actually fall for that crap?

I've you're no stranger to current multi-media, you should know that NOTHING is free. lol

Lol

I second thee! People nowdays fall for these all the time.....:)

BTW Michael

Can you actually give us an insight on why this actually happens? there's definitely something that doesn't check out.......

TK

chronster 12-09-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbiondo (Post 567934)
I came across your posting this morning and wanted to offer my assistance. Feel free to call our 24/7/365 Customer Care @ 877-848-6299 or drop me a line. I'm confident that I can resolve this for you. Thumbplay offers a great service and if you are not completely satisfied we'll provide you a full refund. Hope to chat with you soon.

Michael Biondo
Thumbplay
646-808-1536

your business is despicable. Just my opinion have a nice day :)

fat boy 12-11-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbiondo (Post 567934)

Michael Biondo
Thumbplay
646-808-1536

While on one hand I can't agree with this billing as a business practice, apparently it is more than exceptable in the industry and is seen as a valid way individuals can make purchases with their phone easily. Sprint refunded me after calling customer care. In either case I admire any business that is willing to stand by their product and this post by Michael is not "brave", it's professional quality, thanks.