PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Windows Mobile Discussions (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   WARNING, thumbplay (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48190)

Hafrust 12-17-2008 11:00 AM

Re: WARNING, thumbplay

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestDrummer (Post 583535)
Shady? Yea, for ignorant people. Who's being exploited? Nobody. If you've got a brain in your head, you won't get caught up getting billed for these things.

Ignorance has nothing to do with intelligence. You are correct, the people who typically fall victim to these type of things are ignorant. They are ignorant to the fact that they will end up getting charged. In no way does that make them any less intelligent than anyone else. They simply do not know all the information. That does not mean they lack the capacity to learn said information. Your implication that people who are ignorant are also stupid makes you ignorant as well.

fat boy 12-17-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripdub1 (Post 583786)
Ignorance has nothing to do with intelligence. You are correct, the people who typically fall victim to these type of things are ignorant. They are ignorant to the fact that they will end up getting charged. In no way does that make them any less intelligent than anyone else. They simply do not know all the information. That does not mean they lack the capacity to learn said information. Your implication that people who are ignorant are also stupid makes you ignorant as well.

Very well said, I was going to reply to his post but when looking at most of his posts it seemed to be a need of his to bash someone rather than stay on task with information.

lordchaz 12-17-2008 02:25 PM

Typically the "free ringtones/games/apps" advertisements will clearly show the reccuring charge at the bottom of the page, something like "by entering your wireless number you are agreeing to a monthly subscription of $xx.xx" most people never notice it until they've been billed at least once if not several times. It's underhanded but legal because the person has to enter account specific information to get the "free" stuff. Some carriers do have contact info for the venders. Be sure to pass the warning on to family and friends.

fat boy 12-17-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordchaz (Post 584189)
Typically the "free ringtones/games/apps" advertisements will clearly show the reccuring charge at the bottom of the page, something like "by entering your wireless number you are agreeing to a monthly subscription of $xx.xx" most people never notice it until they've been billed at least once if not several times. It's underhanded but legal because the person has to enter account specific information to get the "free" stuff. Some carriers do have contact info for the venders. Be sure to pass the warning on to family and friends.

It depends to, if you enrolled on the web or over the phone. Over the phone its supposed to be a lot more obvisous but not so online. For me I dont use custom ringers and don't believe I ever signed up for it.....thus the refund.

nelbert1013 01-14-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordchaz (Post 584189)

Wow!....this is my first post....(hehe). But I'm glad I signed up. I got caught up in this too.....Yeah...I know....should have read the fine print. I just got off the phone with Sprint. Thumbplay haven't billed my account yet and hopefully I caught it just in time. Thanks to all for posting this information. Btw....I'm enjoying my TP